The African Union (AU) is a continental body consisting of the 55 member states that make up the countries of the African Continent. It was officially launched in 2002 as a successor to the Organization of African Unity (OAU, 1963-1999). We are an Integrated, Prosperous and Peaceful Africa, driven by its own citizens and representing a dynamic force in the global arena.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Director for Customs Administration (AfCFTA)
Requisition ID: 1662
Location: Accra, Ghana
Reports to: Deputy Secretary General
Directorate/Department: African Continental Free Trade Area (AfCFTA)
Division: Customs Administration
Number of Direct Reports: 17
Number of Indirect Reports: 0
Job Grade: D1
Number of Positions: 1
Contract Type: Regular
Purpose of Job
- Responsible for the operations of the entire directorate/department. Plan, develop and implement strategic policies while promoting inter- directorate/department collaboration. Provide technical and strategic advice to the Secretary General and to the AfCFTA Institutions.
- Develop and maintain operating rules and procedures.
- Provide technical leadership and ensure efficient functioning of all Divisions.
- Ensure overall management of the directorate/department personnel, budget, performance, quality, discipline and training in conformity with relevant rules and procedures in force.
- Determine and execute the overall strategy of the directorate.
- Develop and oversee policy development guidelines.
- Prepare and oversee integrated programmes of overall activities of the directorate.
- Build and maintain a strategic plan to form good working relations with other directorates/departments.
- Develop and maintain regular working relations with top level stakeholders in appropriate agencies of Member States and partners.
- Organize coordination meetings between the organization and other relevant organizations.
- Ultimately responsible for preparing periodic financial and budget execution reports and annual financial statements and other reports.
- Promote awareness and training of best practices in area of expertise.
- Develop Strategic Framework, Standard Operation Procedures that enhance trade facilitation and enforcement for Customs Cooperation
- Engage with State Parties, stakeholders and partners on custom matters and the implementation of trade facilitation measures
- Coordinate State Parties towards building efficient customs procedures, trade facilitation and transit systems
- Liaise with relevant national bodies on Custom cooperation and mutual administrative assistance
- Spearhead the establishment of modern data processing systems to facilitate effective and efficient custom operation and transmission of trade data
- Lead the Secretariat services for Directors-General/ Heads of Customs Committee and the Sub-Committee on Trade Facilitation, Customs Cooperation and Transit and other relevant meetings on Customs
- Monitor and report on the implementation of the customs-related provisions of the AfCFTA Agreement including the Annexes on Customs Cooperation, Trade Facilitation and Transit, administration of Rules of Origin, and resolution of related non-tariff barriers
- Lead activities related to the establishment of the African Continental Customs Union
- Determine and execute Directorate strategy and align to the AfCFTA overall Strategy
Academic Requirements and Relevant Experience
- University Master’s Degree in International Trade, Development Economics, International Relations, International Business, International Law, Political Science or relevant discipline
- A minimum of fifteen (15) years of progressively responsible professional work experience in professions related to Customs Administration, Trade Facilitation, Transit, Administration of Rules of Origin, and Resolution of related Non-Tariff Barriers, at national, regional economic community, continental or international level out of which eight (8) years should be at managerial level managing professional staff in support of or within a national, regional, continental, or international institution.
- Management experience and ability to relate and facilitate interactions with others;
- Ability to think critically and solve problems;
- Ability to communication orally and in writing;
- Report writing and presentation skills;
- Excellent interpersonal skills, the ability to organize and motivate others and to work in a multi-cultural environment;
- Planning, organizational and reporting skills;
- Ability to negotiate diplomatically;
- Ability to delegate the appropriate responsibility, accountability and decision-making authority; with regard to performance management and professional development;
- Conscientious in observing deadlines and achieving results;
- Familiarity with international and regional policy processes and policy analysis in the relevant areas; and
- Proficiency in one of the AU Official working languages (Arabic, English, French, Kiswahili, Portuguese and Spanish), fluency in another AU language is an added advantage
- Strategic Focus
- Developing Organizational Capability
- Change Leadership
- .Strategic Risk Management
- Building Partnerships
- Drives Accountability Culture
- Learning Orientation
- Communicating with impact
- Conceptual Thinking
- Job Knowledge and information sharing..
- Drive for Results
- Fosters Innovation
Tenure of Appointment
- The appointment will be made on a regular term contract for a period of three (3) years, of which the first twelve months shall be considered as a probationary period. Thereafter, the contract will be for a period of two years renewable, subject to satisfactory performance and deliverables.
Indicative basic salary of US$ 78,138 .00 (D1 Step1) per annum plus other related entitlements e.g. Post adjustment ( 57% of basic salary), Housing allowance US$ 27,290.88.00 (per annum), and education allowance (100% of tuition and other education-related expenses for every eligible dependent up to a maximum of US$ 10,000.00 per child per annum), for internationally recruited staff and a maximum of $3,300 per child per annum for locally recruited staff.
Application Closing Date
8th March, 2023.
Method of Application
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online
- Only candidates who have met all the requirements of the post and have been selected for an interview will be contacted.
- Only applications registered online with a complete curriculum vitae (CV) attached will be considered.
- The Africa Union is an equal-opportunity employer, and female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.
- Gender Mainstreaming: The AU Commission is an equal opportunity employer and qualified women are strongly encouraged to apply.