Health Safety and Security Officer at Norwegian Refugee Council
The Norwegian Refugee Council (NRC) is a non-governmental, humanitarian organization with 60 years of experience in helping to create a safer and more dignified life for refugees and internally displaced people. NRC advocates for the rights of displaced populations and offers assistance within the shelter, emergency food security, and water, sanitation and hygiene sectors.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Health Safety and Security Officer
Job ID: 9660
Location: Maiduguri, Borno
Duration of contract: 10 months renewable.
Category: Health, Safety and Security
Grade: 5 in NRC's grading structure
Reporting line: HSS Coordinator Nigeria Maiduguri
Schedule: Full time
- These strategic locations have allowed NRC greater reach from the north and south parts of the North-East and North Central region and allowed NRC to contribute to bridging the gap between humanitarian aid and development cooperation, including through focusing on equitable access to essential services and strengthening the rights of displaced people and returnees. In addition to the Country Office and the above-mentioned Area Offices, NRC has sub-offices structures in Dikwa, Monguno, Biu, Mubi, Pulka and Gwoza.
- Under the supervision of the Health, Safety and Security Coordinator, Health, Safety and Security (HSS) Officer will support in the implementation of mitigation strategies and measures to reduce risk to NRC Staff, assets, programs, and image.
- The position is expected to support the implemention of HSS SOPs, HERP, and MEP for the Area North program locations in MMC/Jere and Monguno Field Office. Besides this, the Officer will create a web of networks with relevant safety and security actors/stakeholders in the field office with the aim of enabling humanitarian access, coordination, and collaboration.
- You will be based in Maiduguri, with 75% frequent travels to the field locations.
- We are looking for people who are passionate about helping refugees and people forced to flee with proven experience in the international humanitarian sector.
- If you are such people, the Norwegian Refugee Council in Nigeria is looking for an enthusiastic and passionate Human Support Coordinator to join our Maiduguri Area office Team. You will be responsible for the coordination and delivery of all Support function operations within the Area Office.
- To be successful in this role you will be a confident communicator with excellent relationship-building skills, capable of establishing strong relationships with stakeholders and solution-driven at all levels while supporting new initiatives and operations across the country.
- If you are highly organized individually, comfortable with working in a remote environment, and have previous experience in delivering or coordinating administration and human resource functions, we would love to hear from you!
Roles and Responsibilities
- Give regular daily context updates to the Field Coordinator and Area Manager before the commencement of field activities.
- Ensure that access control procedures to the field Office/Guest House are in place and adequately enforced by the security guards.
- Ensure that all communication equipment (Satellite phones, GPS trackers, CCTVs) is in good working condition and available for use by staff in Monguno Field Office.
- Together with the Field Coordinators, Conduct daily staff headcount and report to HSS CMC
- Liaison with different stakeholders and support the Field Coordinator in organizing meetings when required.
- Support the Logistic Team to conduct safety assessments of vehicles rented for use by NRC in the Field Office.
We Are Looking For
- University or Advanced Degree in Social Studies, Administration, Security Management, Humanitarian / Refugee Affairs, and Disaster Risk Management. HND in a relevant similar field will be considered.
- Previous experience from working in complex and emergency contexts, particularly in North-East Nigeria is desired
- Previous work experience and service in the uniformed forces (military, police, Prisons, NSCDC, etc) is a desired advantage. A certificate of good service discharge will be required.
- Basic computer skills are mandatory ( MS Word, Excel, PPT, Outlook, Sharepoint)
- Working skills in communication equipment (VHF Radio, Satellite Phones, GPS tracker, CCTV) is required.
- Basic web-based mapping knowledge or GIS
- 2 to 3 years of working experience within a similar function in safety and security management with INGOs, the UN, or the government or private sector.
- Strong interpersonal skills, including capacities to negotiate with different stakeholders
- Strong Report-writing ability and security incident analysis. This will include conflict analysis and research capabilities.
What’s In It For You?
- Join a work culture that empowers every employee to share ideas and take responsibility:
- At NRC we think creatively. We encourage ideas and give responsibility to all employees at all levels, to help solve the complex issues that we face. You will have many opportunities to be heard and take the initiative.
- Learn on the job: NRC's collaborative working style favors the exchange of good practice and lessons learned. At NRC, employees learn on the job and are encouraged to look for opportunities to develop new competencies. NRC managers prioritize the quality work and the competency development of their staff.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply
Application Deadline 22nd February, 2023.
- Nigeria Nationals Only
- An approved health certificate will be requested before the contract starts/commencement.
- This position is open to National candidates only and female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.
- We invite applications from all qualified and interested candidates.
- Candidates are encouraged to apply early, as applications may be screened prior to the vacancy deadline