Human Resources and Administration Officer at Save the Children
Save the Children is the leading independent organization for children in need, with programs in over 120 countries. We save children’s lives. We fight for their rights. We help them fulfil their potential. Save the Children is working in Nigeria because one in five children in Nigeria dies before their fifth birthday. About 40% of children miss out on school and have to work to survive while nearly 2 million children have lost one or both parents to an AIDS-related disease.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Human Resources and Administration Officer
Job ID: 230000KA
Location: Damaturu, Yobe
Team/Programme: HR & Admin Team
Employee Status: Fixed Term
Contract Length: 12 months
Reports to: Field Manager - Yobe
Staff directly reporting to this post: HR and Admin Assistant, Office Assistants
Budget responsibility: No
- Level 3: the post holder will have contact with children and/or young people either frequently (e.g. once a week or more) or intensively (e.g. four days in one month or more or overnight) because they work country programs; or are visiting country programs; or because they are responsible for implementing the police checking/vetting process staff.
- The role holder will be responsible for the provision and management of effective HR and administrative services in the Kano office.
- The Human Resource and Administration Officer will contribute to ensuring that Save the Children’s commitment to improving quality and accountability in humanitarian work is upheld, through reference to Save the Children Quality Standards and endeavors to implement effective administration systems.
Key Areas of Accountability
- Receive applications from prospective candidates and maintain an applicant database
- Develop a standard induction pack and maintain an induction schedule for new staff
- Participate in panels as well as in the short listing and interviewing as well as negotiating offers for prospective staff
- Participate in the planning and facilitation of Global Inductions for new hires within Save the Children in Nigeria on a monthly basis.
- Assist HR Manager in developing and maintaining contacts with other key INGO players to undertake a regular review of their terms and conditions of their salary structures
- Assist with the analysis of HR needs of a programme and look for sustainable solutions. Provide a generalist HR service to managers across a full range of HR issues.
Human Resource Management:
- Assist the Human Resource Manager in the development of annual needs for development / training through the formal performance review process
- Identify training courses and their costs and maintain a list of available courses
- Research training opportunities as prioritised by the SMT or as requested by supervisors
- Provide support to supervisors to arrange training opportunities for staff
- Preparation of consultancy contracts for national and international consultants as well as keeping an updated and accessible database of consultants in line with acceptable SCI procedures.
Administration and Office Management
- Management of Office facilities and travel for the Country operations
- Ensure the Kano office is adequately equipped with sufficient levels of supplies (consumables, stationery, equipment) etc, is fully functioning and fit for purpose to enable all staff to operate with maximum efficiency
- Develop, manage, and oversee effective relationships with service providers suppliers, landlords, etc, ensuring transparency and value for money
- Manage and supervise the Administrative and Office Assistants
- Liaise with the Programme Operations (field and Abuja) to ensure that shared office support functions run smoothly, and resources are used efficiently and effectively
- Ensure compliance with Save the Children Quality Standards, Global Policies and Guidelines
- Oversee the maintenance of the office premises/residences, furniture, fittings and all equipment in a fully functioning state
- Pro-actively identify potential problems affecting staff, proposing solutions and working to put them in place
Travel, Logistics & Events:
- Oversee the management for all travel, business visas, and accommodation for visitors, consultants, and staff on official Save the Children business. Ensure that travel is on schedule and cost effective and that visits to Country Programmes occur with a minimum of disruption and downtime
- Ensure that meetings and conferences are effectively managed ensuring value for money and transparency in all the processes.
- Internal: SO Management team
- External: Other INGOs, Statutory bodies
Behaviours (Values in Practice)
- Accuracy and timeliness in all areas of responsibility
- High level of accuracy in work, and ability to analyse complex sets of relationships and situations
- Holds self and others accountable
- Creating best-in-class EA function
- Future-orientated, thinks pro-actively
- Working effectively with stakeholders to achieve common goals
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills
- Builds and maintains effective relationships, with their team, colleagues, members and external partners
- Approachable, good listener, easy to talk to
- Designing more effective admin systems
- Willing to take disciplined risks
- Honest, encourages openness and transparency, demonstrates highest levels of integrity.
Additional Job Responsibilities
- The duties and responsibilities as set out above are not exhaustive and the role holder may be required to carry out additional duties within reasonableness of their level of skills and experience.
- University Degree in Human Resources Management, Business Administration, or equivalent in relevant field
Experience and Skills:
- A minimum of 5 years of experience in a Human Resources and Administration role in a corporate or INGO environment
- Proven ability to provide high level support to management teams
- Ability to plan and organise a substantial workload that including complex, diverse tasks and responsibilities
- Experience of managing and developing teams
- Experience of setting up and maintaining management information systems and office systems
- Experience of effective budget development and management
- Experience of negotiating service contracts and ensuring value for money
- Excellent communication skills in order to deal tactfully and sensitively with a wide range of people
- Excellent organizational skills and a track record of consistently prioritizing delivering on time
- A high level of computer literacy
- Good judgement, initiative and problem-solving ability
- Commitment to Save the Children’s mission and values
- Staff & Performance Management
- Willing and able to travel around the state as needed.
- Experience working with a diverse team
- Experience working in Emergencies
- The role holder is required to carry out the duties in accordance with the SCI Equal Opportunities and Diversity policies and procedures.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply
Application Deadline 18th February, 2023.