Premiere Urgence Internationale (PUI) is a non-governmental, non-profit, non-political and non-religious international aid organization. Our teams are committed to supporting civilians’ victims of marginalization and exclusion, or hit by natural disasters, wars and economic collapses, by answering their fundamental needs. Our aim is to provide emergency relief to uprooted people in order to help them recover their dignity and regain self-sufficiency.
PUI has been implementing humanitarian activities in Nigeria since April 2016, supporting population with food security, nutrition, health and protection project in Maiduguri and Borno State.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Stabilization Centre Nurse
Location: Monguno, Borno
Duration of contract: 10 months (with possible extension)
Starting date: 1st September, 2021
- Under the direct supervision of the SC doctor, the stabilization center (SC) Nurse is responsible for the nutrition rehabilitation among admitted cases through providing timely and quality treatment of medical complications associated with SAM and provision of therapeutic feeds, routine and specialized medicines, health and nutrition counseling in liaison with the physicians.
- S/he is also responsible to ensure that all activities in the SC ward are consistent with established best practices according to the standardized protocols, policies and guidelines outlined by the Nigeria Federal Ministry of Health (FMOH) and World Health Organization (WHO).
Responsibilities and Tasks
Consultation and patients care:
- Welcome patients to the facility
- Apply the procedures of triage and perform admissions for the new cases as per the protocol
- Ensure quality and timely identification and treatment of medical complications associated with malnutrition in liaison with the Physicians
- Give and advice on the drug regimen for the patients
- Supervise and coordinate the strict patient management in the Stabilization center and ensure the laid protocols are followed
- Participate in daily SC ward rounds with the Physicians and fill the patient cards after the round, medications and other patient examinations or procedures
- Strictly monitor and record the vital signs regularly as in the protocol and report any deviation from the normal
- Ensure that all required observations, prescribed treatment and procedures are properly carried out and documented on patient’s charts
- Refer to the doctor in charge or to the doctor on call relevant information such as patient’s status and laboratory results, which would assist in proper clinical management
- Monitor therapeutic Feeds and ensure that children get 3 hourly therapeutic feeds as required
- Carry out regular procedure like taking blood samples, providing IV medications and other necessary procedures as per the physician’s prescriptions
- Facilitate a timely referral of complicated SAM cases from the OTPs to the SC and vice versa and escort patient when necessary.
- Provide all other necessary nursing care and procedures for the patients.
- Assist patients with activities of daily living while in the ward
Team management and internal coordination:
- Provide regular mentoring and on-the-job training for the SC Nutrition Feeding Assistants
- Ensure caretakers of SC patients receive appropriate nutrition education and referred and linked to community IYCF team
- Participate actively in meetings when required
- Maintain equipment’s in good condition and submit regular inventory report
- Maintain a safe and clean working environment by complying with universal standards, procedures, rules and regulations
- Adhere to infection-control policies and protocols, medication administration and storage procedures, and controlled substance regulations
- Maintain registration and track the consumption of medicines, therapeutic foods and other consumables and share the report with the SC ward head physician
- Responsible for the collection, compilation and analysis of quality data and production of the required reports for the SC activities in charge
- Ensure that all admissions, discharges, transfers and deaths are properly recorded as they occur
- Report any difficulties or delays in the implementation of activities
Specific code of conduct:
- Ensure that SC beneficiaries, caretakers and members of the community are treated respectfully at all times
- Maintain patient confidentiality at all time
- Respect the rights of the patients and caretakers/attendants under his/her care
Priorities Of The Department:
- Support The Opening And Running Of Stabilization Center In Ngarannam Phcc In Bolori Ii Ward
- Ensure Nutrition Activities Are Conducted In A Quality Manner Complying With The National And International Protocols
- Set-Up And Enforce Effective Referral Pathways With In The Pui Nutrition Components (Cm, Otp, Sc And Iycf) And With The Other Departments (Health And Protection) To Assure Pui Integrated Approach
- Build The Capacity Of The Nutrition Team On Thematic Areas Related To Nutrition
- Education Degree: Diploma in Clinical Nurse or Above
- At least 2 years of progressive work experience in Nutrition Activities including significant experience in clinical management of complicated SAM cases in the SC.
- Demonstrated understanding of the inpatient SAM management protocols.
- Previous work of CMAM program and with humanitarian organizations is added plus.
- Language skills: Good command in English and in local Dialects: Hausa and Kanuri
- Computer Skills: Proficient user of MS office (including Word, Excel, Outlook, PowerPoint)
- Commitment to the NGO values and principles
- Transversal skills
- Strong motivation to help people in need
- Ability to adapt or change priorities according to the changing situation within a mission or the organization itself
- Understanding and capacity of integration into the local environment
- Ability to analyse and suggest improvements of the activities
- Well organized and hard worker
- Able to manage stress and pressure
- Understanding of the context of the area
- Honesty and reliable
Application Closing Date
10th August, 2021.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should: