COOPI- Cooperazione Internazionale is an Italian humanitarian non-governmental organization founded in Milan in 1965. COOPI aims to help the world’s poorest to improve their access to healthcare, food, and financial security, and to overcome their special vulnerability to wars, civil conflicts and natural disasters.
COOPI started its operations in North-East Nigeria in July 2014 and its interventions direct assista to the IDPs and host communities, through a multi-sectorial programme covering Disaster Risk Reduction, Food Security, Social protection, Early Recovery and Livelihoods, Nutrition and Child Protection interventions. COOPI's capacity to respond to the humanitarian situation in the country is confirmed by its experience in providing humanitarian aid in more than 28 other Countries around the World, in over 55 years of operations
COOPI is currently present in Yobe, Borno states in Northeast and Sokoto state in Northwest. In Northeast, COOPI’s intervention areas are located in Jakusko, Geidem, Yunusari and Damaturu LGAs of Yobe and in Kaga LGA of Borno State.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Psychosocial Animator / Community Support Worker
Yobe - Damaturu as main Base Office, with frequent daily trips to Gashua and other field locations Yobe,
Employment Type: Full-time
Slot: 8 Openings
Scope of the Vacancy
- The Psychosocial Support (PSS) Animator will be responsible for the implementation of the Child Protection and psychosocial Ssupport activities in targeted LGAs of Yobe state.
Main Duties / Responsibilities
Under the direct supervision of the Psychosocial Counselor and Project Manager, he/she:
- Support the PSS Counselor and outreach team (case workers and case worker supervisor) in mapping and assessing children to attend PSS activities.
- Register and enroll children in psychosocial support activities
- Work directly with children, carrying out psychosocial activities.
- Plan, organize and run activities with children while facilitate and encourage the participation of all children
- Work in compliance with and respect of the principles of Child Protection and confidentiality, working with IDPs and host communities with sensitivity
- Carry out awareness sessions on child rights in the community, IDPs camps, primary schools, Child Friendly Spaces, Youth Clubs
- Facilitate peer and groups support
- Conduct life skills and art therapy training for teenagers (Adolescent and Youth 13 to 18 Years)
- Conduct parent-child communication sessions with parents and teachers.
- Plan, organize and run activities with children while facilitate and encourage the participation of all registered children.
- Deal with difficult behaviour(conflict, aggressiveness, power drunk and introversion) and understand the reason behind the behavior to positively communicate with the situation.
- Ensure that children under his / her Responsibility are not exposed to any form of harm or stress during the activities.
- Put in place protection / child protection activities with children and adult according to the workplan
- Organizes recreational activities and community events to promote access to education and child’s rights Candidate (Education, Training, Competences, Skills), with a special focus on IDP children.
- Performs any other necessary action related to the position to achieve the objectives of the project and of COOPI in Nigeria if requested by the Team Leader
- Upholds COOPI’s mission and Charter of Values;
- Follows and enforces all COOPI codes of conduct and policies (globally and in-country);
- Perform any other action related with the position needed to achieve the objectives of the projects and of COOPI Nigeria if requested by his/her supervisor.
Profile of the Candidate (Education, Training, Competences, Skills):
- Education Degree: University Degree or Diploma in Social Work, Social Studies, Psychology, Education or any other related discipline.
- At least two years of professional experience in the support of vulnerable people or in the humanitarian field, preferably in the field of PSS.
- Knowledge & skills: Excellent analytical and writing skills, creative thinking
- Computer skills: Good knowledge of the MS office software.
- Knowledge of protection prorgams in Northeastern Nigeria/
- Knowledge of protection issues and best practices
- Previous experience in PSS activities plans and designing and implementing of recreational activities.
- Good communicator, strong listening capacity, open minded, proactive and creative
- Respectful and inclusive of individual and cultural differences
- Significant experience involving work engaging people in and from community settings
- Knowledge of the local language (Hausa and Kanuri)
- Good knowledge of the intervention area/s and local context
Application Closing Date
16th August, 2021.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online