ACTED has been committed since 1993, to immediate humanitarian relief to support those in urgent need and protect people’s dignity, while co-creating longer term opportunities for sustainable growth and fulfilling people’s potential. ACTED, headquartered in Paris, France is present in four continents and our teams intervene in 37 countries towards 14 million people, responding to emergency situations, supporting rehabilitation projects and accompanying the dynamics of development. Over 5,000 staff are dedicated to implementing and developing our projects.
In light of the displacement in the north-eastern part of Nigeria, ACTED has set up an office in Maiduguri to respond to the humanitarian needs. We are therefore looking for candidates to support our mission in Monguno within the capacity below:
Job Title: Protection Officer
Location: Monguno, Borno
About the Job
- Under the supervision of the Project Manager, the Protection Officer is responsible for the day-to-day activities of the protection component of the Food Security Project, Gender and Accountability to affected populations (AAP); including conducting data collection, meetings and mobilizing key project stakeholders, developing protection-related materials for community trainings and facilitate trainings, among others.
- He/she will organize community discussions and awareness-raising on key protection issues, CFM and community engagement with PMCs.
- He/She will facilitate the smooth operation of the protection, Gender and AAP component of the project, meeting project timelines and targets. In addition to internal capacity building, the protection officer will also be in charge of referrals of beneficiaries to the appropriate protection partner(s) and ensure that these mechanisms remain efficient and functional for ACTED programming.
Your main duties and responsibilities will be:
- Implementation of protection activities in the context of the project including protection awareness and monitoring, referrals, and other protection assistance initiatives to support displaced populations and host communities.
- Conducting training and capacity building
- Conduct focus group discussion to identify the local issues to be addressed
- Develop lists of stakeholders, partners, and KI.
- Design a tailor-made information and trainings addressing the beneficiaries’ concerns and needs
- Develop internal Community-based protection training materials and facilitate trainings.
- Promote and implement effective measures to identify, prevent and tackle SGBV
- Promote and implement effective measures for children protection including establishment of a referral mechanism.
- Participate in monthly protection sector meeting in Monguno,
- Keep records of the referrals and their FU.
- Record monthly protection results and report to project management.
Reporting and Documentation:
- Ensure proper filing of attendance sheets and project documents.
- Follow up on all paperwork and reporting needed from the field.
- Conduct follow up with beneficiaries, if necessary.
- Collect protection case studies and success stories according to ACTED guidelines
- Any other occasionally task required for the implementation of ACTED’s programs.
- All employees should master ACTED's core Principles: Independence, Neutrality, Non-discrimination, free and direct access to victims, Ethics, Professionalism, anti-Corruption, Transparency and Accountability
Moreover, we also expect the following:
Essential Qualifications and Experience
- Completion of a university degree in Business Administration, Law, Humanities, Arts or Social Sciences,
- At least 1-3 years of protection experience in a humanitarian and/or development sector;
- Strong skills with the Microsoft Office, including MS word and excel
- Strong technical writing skills
Desired Knowledge and Skills:
- Extensive knowledge of Nigerian displacement context.
- Highly flexible, with the ability to use initiative.
- Ability to work in a multi-cultural environment.
- Commitment to humanitarian principles and values.
- Commitment to promoting gender equality.
- Experience conducting focus group discussions, or the ability to learn rapidly
- Strong ability to work independently, organize work, meet deadlines, maintain composure, prioritize work under pressure, coordinate multiple tasks and maintain attention to detail.
- Excellent interpersonal and problem-solving skills, creativity, and flexibility.
- Personal qualities: Works well in and promotes teamwork, comfortable in a multi-cultural environment, flexible and able to handle pressure well.
- Experience in working in the protection sector.
- Experience delivering trainings and curriculums.
- Experience working with big teams
- Contract length: 3 Months
- Level: D2-1 (national contract)
- Start date: As soon as possible
Application Closing Date
24th July, 2020.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online
- All applicants must send a cover letter and an updated CV (no longer than four pages) in English.
- CV and Cover Letter indicating and explaining the suitability to the position applied.
- Provide contact details (name, position, email address and tel. no.) of 3 professional non-related references, whereas 1 must be for the latest employer. Please do not attach any written recommendations.
- Applications should be addressed to: The Recruitment Manager.
- Only motivated applications that address the stipulated duties and meet the required qualifications, sent together with a CV, will be considered. CV-only applications will not be considered. Please note: The position title and location must be written in the subject line of the e-mail otherwise not considered.
- ACTED considers all applicants on the basis of merit without regard to race, sex, colour, religion, sexual orientation, age, marital status, or disability.
- CVs will be review on rolling bases.
- Due to the large numbers of expected applicants ACTED will only inform shortlisted candidate. We apologise for the inconvenience. Only short-listed applicants will be invited for written test and oral interview.
- For general information about ACTED, please consult: www.acted.org