Premiere Urgence Internationale (PUI) is a non-governmental, non-profit, non-political and non-religious international aid organization. Our teams are committed to supporting civilians’ victims of marginalization and exclusion, or hit by natural disasters, wars and economic collapses, by answering their fundamental needs. Our aim is to provide emergency relief to uprooted people in order to help them recover their dignity and regain self-sufficiency.
PUI has been implementing humanitarian activities in Nigeria since April 2016, supporting population with food security, nutrition, health and protection project in Maiduguri and Borno State.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Protection Deputy Program Manager
Starting date: ASAP
Contract Duration: 3 months (with possible extension)
- Under the direct supervision of the Protection Project Manager, the Protection DPM shall ensure the overall support of the project implementation and assist the Protection PM in planning, organizing, implementing and monitoring project activities.
Responsibilities and Task
- Lead the implementation of the scale-up plan for the protection program at the base level
- Support the Protection team in developing, implementing and monitoring project activities in the areas assigned in the project intervention framework, in compliance with goals defined in the project proposal, and ensure that activities are met in a timely manner
- Support in capacity building of protection staff on GBV response and prevention: on-job training on case management, GBV in Emergency, caring for child survivors, coaching; revision and support to the adaptation of training materials, handouts and other information on GBV.
- Provide inputs in setting up GBVIMS and SOPs in accordance to GBV Subsector standard
- Provide technical guidance and support to Protection Supervisors in developing strong and effective internal and external referral pathways and supervise the organization and follow-up of referrals (including protection cases, malnutrition cases and cases with urgent needs)
- Strongly support protection mainstreaming within nutrition MHPSS and health in Monguno LGA
- Ensure that the protection outreach components are consistent and linked with the needs of the population of concern and that they are provided with the necessary information regarding the services available in the target area.
- Participate in the development of quality, gender-sensitive strategies and interventions.
- Provide inputs for the establishment of women and girls friendly space in accordance with relevant international standard.
- Develop or adopt specific and appropriate IEC materials and other messaging and awareness-raising activities
- Participate in the development of training materials and provide capacity-building to the Protection team, other PUI teams, partners and other stakeholders
- Ensure compliance of all activities with international and national laws, conventions and policies as well as with international humanitarian principles and guidelines
- Follow up the performance indicators defined, report on progress to the Protection PM, indicate difficulties encountered in project implementation and propose improvements
- Support the Protection Project Manager in strategy development, including through supporting the development of high-quality proposals and associated budgets
- Support the protection PM in monitoring and evaluation of Protection projects ensuring quality of services
- In the event of serious delays in project implementation, immediately inform Protection PM and propose solutions to remedy the situation
- Directly or indirectly supervise Protection Supervisors and Officers, the case management supervisors and ensure the timely implementation of their activities
- Ensure capacity-building of the team through trainings and technical guidance (organizational and technical support, methodology, training sessions on specific topics related to protection)
- Coordinate the work of Protection Supervisors and Officers: work plans, progress toward targets, and frequency of submitting collected data
- Uphold PUI code of conduct and internal regulations and ensure that they are known and respected by each team member
- Participate actively in the hiring process (candidates interviewing, testing, etc.)
- Ensure that Protection team members and outreach workers have the necessary information on the referral system and provided services and properly understand the activities to be implemented in the framework of the project
- Ensure that Protection team properly handles confidential information and that information collected by both officers and community outreach workers is reported and properly uploaded to the database
- Support Protection Supervisors & Officers in improving their performance
- Support Protection Supervisors & Officers in day-to-day problem solving according to agreed procedures and priorities
- Regularly appraise the performance of Protection Supervisors and when requested support in the appraisal of the protection officers
- Routine field visits to monitor Protection Officers & Community Workers activities
- Continuously collect feedback from Protection team and ensure the communication to the Project Manager
- Ensure the security rules in the field are respected, the safety of the field officers is guaranteed and the regular communication with the security focal person is maintained.
Logistic & Administration:
- Define the needs in materials and tools required to conduct trainings and outreach activities
- Organize and coordinate training sessions: venue, attendees, and support materials
- Provide the Protection PM on a monthly basis with information necessary for the development of cash flow estimates specific to Protection program
- In coordination with the Protection PM, assist in other logistical components of the Protection program
- Ensure the proper utilization of the tablets by the Protection officers and COWs
- Communicate to the Logistic Manager on a weekly basis his / her needs related to vehicles and communication equipment for the implementation of program
Reporting & Data Collection:
- Ensure proper completion and filling of all documentation (soft and hard as required) and ensure data protection protocols, confidentiality and do no harm principles are respected while reporting protection cases
- Ensure the proper collection, analysis and reporting of information by Protection team
- Review the number of assessed individuals, identified protection cases, referred cases and closed cases
- Participate in Protection data analysis and propose solutions based on available resources
- Document and report training sessions and feedback from participants
- Provide inputs for donor reports and proposals
- Support the PM in the monthly Protection Monitoring Report and Service Mapping design and update
- Cooperate with MEAL Department to conduct any MEAL related activities (such as surveys, field feedback, and lessons learnt exercise among others
Internal and External Representation:
- Build and maintain relationships with external partners, community leaders (especially Bulamas), community committees and other stakeholders
- Represent PUI before local actors and partners when required and at anytime and anywhere
- In agreement with the Protection PM, attend relevant meetings and participate actively
- In the event of visits from Donors, participate actively in the preparation and the smooth organization of the visit
- Ensure coordination with PUI Staff and stakeholders concerning community intervention activities
NB: The tasks and responsibilities defined in this job description are non-exhaustive and can evolve depending on the project’s needs.
Priorities of the Department
- Strengthen the community outreach network in the assigned catchment area supported by PUI
- Ensure a continuous grasp on the population needs and vulnerabilities and strengthen PUI
- Reactivity responding to emergency humanitarian needs
- Support PUI integrated approach through protection training for other departments
- Strengthen referral mechanisms internally and externally
Qualifications and Required Skills
- Language skills: Fluent in English and Good knowledge in Hausa and Kanuri is a plus
- Education degree: At least a Bachelor's degree or its equivalent in Social Science / Development Studies / Political Science or related field.
- Work experience: At least 3 years of relevant experience in the field
Knowledge and Skills:
- Good knowledge of community outreach, community mobilization, protection and referral mechanisms
- Good knowledge of international legal instruments related to protection (IHL/IHRL), IDP guiding principles, SPHERE standards, protection mainstreaming
- Excellent experience in conducting trainings, awareness sessions and surveys / assessments
- Computer skills: Excellent knowledge of the MS office software including Word, Excel, Outlook, PowerPoint
- Other: Literacy in reporting
- Strong understanding of the political situation in the area
- Commitment to the NGO values and principles
- Self-motivated, flexible and adaptable to the needs of the team and organization
- Great moral and ethical sense
- Conflict resolution and diplomacy skills
- Ability to adapt or change priorities according to the changing situation within a mission or the organization itself
- Ability to analyze and suggest improvements of the activities
- Well organized, hard worker and rigorous
- Able to manage stress and pressure
- Good communication skills
- Team Management
- Knowledge or previous experience in Health and/or Nutrition is an asset.
Application Closing Date
30th September, 2020.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online