Premiere Urgence Internationale (PUI) is a non-governmental, non-profit, non-political and non-religious international aid organization. Our teams are committed to supporting civilians’ victims of marginalization and exclusion, or hit by natural disasters, wars and economic collapses, by answering their fundamental needs. Our aim is to provide emergency relief to uprooted people in order to help them recover their dignity and regain self-sufficiency.
PUI has been implementing humanitarian activities in Nigeria since April 2016, supporting population with food security, nutrition, health and protection project in Maiduguri and Borno State.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Nurse Assisant
Location: Maiduguri, Borno
Number of Position:01
Contract Start Date: As soon as possible
Contract End Date: 30th November, 2021 (renewable based on the availability of funding)
- Under the direct supervision of the Nurse, the Nurse assistant provides patients’ health care in collaboration other health team members in the facility.
- S/he assists the nurse and the rest of the medical team on duty with general nursing activities and over-all patient care according to international/national protocol and the given instructions under strict supervision/monitoring of a nurse, a supervisor or team leader.
- S/he follows PUI protocols and standards to ensure quality and continuity of care, promotion and restoration of health of the patients and population.
Responsibilities and Tasks
- Perform general nursing duties such as monitoring of patient vital signs, wound care and dressings, insertion of cannulas, administration of IV fluids and injections, administration of Nebulisers as prescribed by a clinician.
- Participate in the preparation of the material equipment and drugs for the consultation.
- Provide patients with information they required.
- Conduct triage according to nurses’ protocols, detect priority acute cases in the waiting area and fill the health card (weight, BP, HR, temperature etc).
- Check the vaccination status of children less than 5 years old.
- Ensure the good flow of patients avoiding overcrowded rooms and having patients standing up for long time while waiting for their turn.
- Ensure a good level of communication and understanding between the PHC team and the patients.
- Carry out first aid care when necessary.
- Follow medical prescriptions.
- Assist the clinician during certain health care acts when it is necessary.
- Assist the clinician in the management of the referral cases.
- Perform basic laboratory tests as requested by the clinician. (e.g. urinary sticks, pregnancy tests, capillary blood sugar, hemoglobin level).
- Provide health education following the protocols and key messages regarding hygiene, diseases, and prevention.
- Educate patients in the self-management of their conditions and usage of medications.
- Follow waste management according to waste management procedures.
- Clean and sterilize the medical material according to procedures.
- Ensure that all patients and their relatives are treated equally with respect of ethical and confidential issues
- Collaborate with other departments as needed to ensure smooth implementation and integration of services.
Medical Data Collection and Reporting:
- Verify that the medical prescriptions are readable, dated and signed.
- Check expiry dates of medicines and report it directly to the supervisor.
- Record accurately for each area, on a timely manner, the personal and health related data on the health card.
- Register all the data needed about patients, referral, treatment in the appropriate registers and files.
- Report to the supervisor any problem in the clinic especially the gap/loss/robbery/damage of medical equipment or medicines or any patient and organizational issue.
- Ensure an oral and written handover at every team changeover, draw attention to any notable events during the shift.
- Report directly any difficulties or delays in the implementation of activities.
- Adhere to the supervisor with regards to work schedules, record keeping, patient communications, re-stocking of necessary drugs, consumables and other items.
- Participate in any other activities such as vaccination, survey, etc…according to the needs.
- Participate in any training in order to improve the quality and efficiency of nursing cares and duties.
- Participate actively in meetings when required.
- Inform the direct supervisor of the various needs.
- Maintain the working environment in a clean and presentable state.
- Comply with PUI security procedures at all times.
- Remain aware of the security situation in office and clinic locations at all times and provide feedback to the health program manager.
- Perform other related duties and responsibilities as required direct supervisor.
- Be available for any emergency.
Priorities of the Department:
- Assessment on beneficiaries at risk and diagnosed individuals with communicable and non-communicable diseases or other diseases of public health relevant and provide treatments when necessary.
- Provide frequent feedback on health-illness patterns observed in the field that require further assessment.
- Report to line manager periodically regarding context changes that affect the modality of intervention.
Qualifications and Required Skills
Minimum Bachelor's Degree in Psychiatry or Psychology
- Minimum of 3 years of experience in management of MHPSS activities.
- Work experience with international organizations and/or ngo in the field of mhpss
Fluent in English and Hausa, Kanuri is an asset
Knowledge and Skills:
- Good knowledge of IASC MHPSS guidelines
- Good knowledge of integration of mental health and psycho-social support services in primary health care settings
- Good knowledge of Community Based PSS interventions
- Knowledge of GBV interventions
- Ability to train, mentor, supervise and build capacity of psycho-social workers
Excellent knowledge of the MS office software including Word, Excel, Outlook
- Accurate analytical skills
- Good reporting skills
- Excellent communication, conflict solving and diplomacy skills to manage relationship in potentially tense situations
- Strong motivation to help people in need
- Ability to make decisions and to exercise authority when required
- Understanding of the political situation in the area
- Ability to analyze and suggest improvements of the activities
- Ability to adapt or change priorities according to the changing situation within a mission or the organization itself
- Well organized and hard worker
- Able to manage stress and pressure
- Able to check validity of information, logical thinking
- Team management
Application Closing Date
3rd June, 2021.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Note: The tasks and responsibilities defined in this vacancy announcement are non-exhaustive and can evolve depending on the project’s needs.