Human Resources & Admin Officer at the International Rescue Committee
The International Rescue Committee (IRC) responds to the world’s worst humanitarian crises and helps people to survive and rebuild their lives. Founded in 1933 at the request of Albert Einstein, the IRC offers lifesaving care and life-changing assistance to refugees forced to flee from war or disaster. At work today in over 40 countries and 22 U.S. cities, we restore safety, dignity and hope to millions who are uprooted and struggling to endure. The IRC leads the way from harm to home.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Human Resources & Admin Officer
Requisition ID: req42062
Location: Gusau, Zamfara
Sector: Human Resources
Employment Type: Full-Time
Employment Category: Regular
Open to Expatriates: No
Position Technically Reports to: HR Manager, Maiduguri
Indirect Reporting: Senior Area Manager
Position directly Supervises: Cook and Cleaners
Job Overview / Summary
- The HR & Admin Officer technically reports to the Human Resources Manager in Maiduguri and Administrative Manager in Abuja.
- The Human Resources & Admin Officer will be responsible in all HR and Admin matters, functions, and general office management of the IRC office, and to assist the HR Manager & the HR Lead in all related HR & Admin functions and ensuring compliance with IRC Way.
- Ensure compliance to hiring policies and procedures.
- Support in the recruitment cycle, along with our recruitment team
- Manage staff contracts and all personal files, & track the new hires on boarding, this includes file all their new paper works in both personal & E personal files.
- Liaise with the hiring managers regarding staff contracts, paperwork, ATCs & all other documents related to the new hires.
- Compile and submit updated IRC for office location contact list by the 1st of every month.
- Follow up on employee’s benefits, health insurance, life insurance, & social security.
- Maintain knowledge of national staff entitlements and benefits.
- Maintain up-to-date leave tracking record, and follow up on leaves for all staff, make sure that everything is reflected on the report.
- Make sure to collect the timesheet for all staff on a timely manner and track it.
- Maintain tracking for the IRC staff emails, and coordinate with IT department for any new updates in this regard.
- Provide regular briefings to HR Manager and Senior HR Coordinator on HR matters, including the status of trainings, leave balances, timesheet submission etc.
- Serve as a link between the HR and employees by handling questions, interpreting, and administering contracts, and helping to resolve work related problems in consultation with HR Manager and Coordinator.
- Educate and support management & staff in implementation of HR programs, practices, and initiatives.
- Assist with monthly payroll documentation and process flow.
- Make sure to follow up correctly on the exit process following the IRC internal manual & practice for all employees and release the final settlement and other paperwork to Finance department on a timely manner.
- Always maintain the confidentiality of all sensitive HR information
- Perform other job-related tasks as requested by the HR Manager and HR Lead
- Assist in ensuring payment request for office consumables are raised.
- Provide support for New Hire orientation and onboarding including communicating orientation timetables to all facilitators, coordinate new hire documentation to foster positive attitude toward organizational objectives as may be required.
- Work with the HR Manager to identify and assess training needs and development opportunities using staff performance and development plans as a standard and working with Unit Heads.
- Facilitate staff annual PME processes.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Manage the day-to-day administrative running of the office/Guest house and supervise cook/cleaner.
- Management and reconciliations of all payments related to accommodation/travel bookings including petty cash liquidations.
- Manage lease agreement in close coordination with Admin Manager
- Keep proper records of documents in hard copy and in relevant Box (online) folders.
- Be an ambassador of IRC‘s way as a standard for professional conduct.
- Coordination & Representation: He/she will represent the department in meetings and serves as the focal point for department in Zamfara/Katsina.
- Key Working Relationships: Sector leads, Payroll, Supply Chain, Humanitarian Access Safety & Security, Senior Area Manager etc.
- Liaise with Supply Chain and support settlement of administrative cost and office utility bills (electricity, water supply, Gas, vehicle hire, consumables etc.) by raising non-POs as at when due.
- Provide any other relevant support to payment processes as maybe required by Supply Chain or Finance (PRs, supporting document etc.).
- Ensure that all facilities are functioning well, including office supplies, electricity, maintenance and repair, internet and other communications functions and flag any concern/request to Supply Chain. This includes daily routine checks of lights-out and switching-off of appliances after close of business.
Key Internal Contacts:
- Country Program: Nigeria
- Region/Global: West Africa
Key External Contacts:
- Sister INGO’s, CBO’s in Katsina/Zamfara, Sema etc.
Ability to Travel:
- 5 % of time if applicable.
- Educational Qualification: University Degree in Management, Human Resources, Administration, or related fields or HND.
- Work Experience: Approximately 2-3 years of professional experience in HR, Administration/Office Management.
Demonstrated Technical Skills:
- Previous experience with Human Resources generalist.
- INGO experience preferred.
- HR certifications and trainings if any, will be an added advantage.
- Good understanding of labor law.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills are required.
Demonstrated Managerial/Leadership Competencies:
- Strong sense of personal integrity, attention to detail, flexibility, and ability to work with people with diverse culture, religious background, and ethnicity.
- English, Hausa, and Kanuri will be an added advantage.
Computer/Other Tech Requirements:
- Full professional competency in Microsoft Office Suite, especially Word, Excel, Outlook, and PowerPoint.
Standards of Professional Conduct
- The IRC and IRC workers must adhere to the values and principles outlined in the IRC Way – Code of Conduct. These are Integrity, Service, and Accountability.
- In accordance with these values, the IRC operates and enforces policies on Beneficiary Protection from Exploitation and Abuse, Child Safeguarding, Harassment-Free Workplace, Fiscal Integrity, Anti-Retaliation, Combating Trafficking in Persons, and several others.
- IRC is committed to narrowing the gender gap in leadership positions. We offer benefits that provide an enabling environment for women to participate in our workforce including parental leave, gender-sensitive security protocols and other supportive benefits and allowances.
- Monguno LGA is relatively safe, the security situation is unpredictable, the network at times is epileptic and the temperature hot most times.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply
- IRC is an Equal Opportunity Employer. IRC considers all applicants based on merit without regard to race, sex, color, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, disability, or any other characteristic protected by applicable law.
- People Living with disability and women are strongly encouraged to apply