Plan International was founded over 75 years ago with a mission to promote and protect the rights of children. The organisation was set up by British journalist John Langdon-Davies and refugee worker Eric Muggeridge in 1937, with the original aim to provide food, accommodation and education to children whose lives had been disrupted by the Spanish Civil War
Human Resource Officer
- The purpose of this role is to provide human resource support for the World Bank ANRIN project in Niger state in line with policies of Plan International Nigeria, donor requirements and Nigerian laws.
- The post holder will be supervised by the Head of HR and matrix managed by the Project director and expected to work very closely with other members of the project team.
Dimensions of the Role:
- Communicates within Plan International Nigeria and externally with vendors, service providers, consultants etc.
- The post holder will ensure effective administration of all Human resource process, policy and procedure with support from the Line manager where necessary.
Objectives of the Role
- Ensure that all steps of the recruitment process are followed accordingly: Development and approval of Job description, posting and circulation of advertisement, review of applications and coordination of interviews with the requesting manager.
- Update and maintain a recruitment tracking database and submit to line manager for the project on a monthly basis
- Ensure that all information related to payroll is received and filed in a timely manner and that supporting documentation is filed
- Ensure that signed time sheets and pay slips are received, tracked and filed correctly for all staff
- Act as the primary contact person with the insurance providers, communicating the start and end of insurance coverage promptly and ensuring the necessary administrative follow up is done
- Lead on all new staff onboarding/induction process, as well as regular refreshers and policy awareness sessions
- Facilitate staff trainings on Human Resource policy and procedure, as assigned
- Track the performance appraisal due dates for all staff and follow up with managers and to ensure they are reviewed in a timely manner
- Extract and track relevant training information from performance appraisals and submit to the Human Resource Coordinator to be followed in the country Training Plan
- Participate in the research and identification of training opportunities for staff in the response
Provide overall support to the Human Resource Department:
- Ensure the application of the Human Resource policy and provide advice and support to staff and managers
- Participate in elaborating projects related to national Human Resource functioning
- Draft and circulate Human Resource department communications as necessary
- In collaboration with line manager, develop and maintain a tracking system for response statistics
- This job description is not intended to be all inclusive and the employee will also perform other related tasks as required and responsible for reporting and communication of progress and achievement of the specific assigned task
- Maintenance of high technical standards.
- Conduct all duties in a professional manner following Plan International Nigeria staff regulations, values and codes of conduct.
Human Resource Development:
- Ability to train and mentor staff, partners and communities.
- Communicates effectively and enthusiastically as appropriate to audience.
- Behaves consistently in their approach to work and decision-making.
- Having excellent team spirit.
Learning and Knowledge Management:
- Good analytical and synthesis skills.
- Ability to study and quickly understand new operating environment and organizational systems.
- Good communication skills (written and oral).
- Good listening and interviewing skills.
- Independence and objectivity, you should be able to work with minimum supervision
- Organized, methodical and meticulous
- Promotes innovation, learning and transparency
Dealing with Problems:
- Ensures adherence to the Country Human Resource manual and codes of conduct as per requirement of the organizational policies and procedures to support sound staff management.
- Offers support through coaching and training of staff to ensure improvement in performance.
- Be creative in building and working effectively within a diverse working environment.
- Making effective recommendations to management on how to improve the Human Resource department which supporting other functions.
- Influencing management to implement recommendations made from assurance review
- Ability to manage competing priorities and expectations from internal and external stakeholders and remain calm and resilient in the face of pressure.
- Ensure total compliance with Human Resource best practices.
- Participate in meetings with different departments in order to ascertain needs and areas in which support is required.
- Work in a team in order to achieve the aims and objectives of the organization
- Use Plan procedures to settle conflicts among colleagues.
Technical Expertise, Skills and Knowledge
- Bachelor’s degree in fields related to human resource, administration and management; masters’ degree a plus
- 3 year plus Years’ of experience working in Human Resource and/or administrative support positions
- Understanding of national labour law and employment norms and practices
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Approachable, diplomatic, able to work effectively in diverse, cross-cultural teams in a complex, multi-site work environment
- Computer literacy including all Microsoft office programs (word, excel, PowerPoint, outlook)
- Excellent attention to detail, highly organized, rigorous, self-motivated, strong sense of responsibility, ability to work independently
- Able to maintain confidentiality
- Capacity for analysis, synthesis and reporting of large amounts of information
- Typical office environment – little to no travel required.
Level of Contact with Children:
- Low Contact: The job responsibility of this position does not require the post holder to have any one-to-one contact with children on a daily basis. If there would be occasional contact with children and it is expected that children shall be protected at all times.
Method of Application
Note: Plan International Nigeria is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, gender or disabilities. Plan International Nigeria is fully committed to child protection to prevent children from all forms of abuse. Women are strongly encouraged to apply.Interested and qualified? Go to Plan International on jobs.plan-international.org to apply