Housing Assistant at the U.S. Consulate General
The U.S. Mission to Nigeria comprises of the Embassy in Abuja, FCT, and the Consulate General in Lagos. U.S. Consulate General Lagos is the Mission’s representative to the Nigerian people in the southern region.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Housing Assistant - All Interested Candidates (Real Property Assistant)
Announcement Number: Lagos-2022-081
Hiring Agency: Consulate General Lagos
Series/Grade: LE - 0820 7
Promotion Potential: LE-7
Work Schedule: Full-time - 40 hour per week
- Hiring Path: Open to the public
Who May Apply/Clarification From the Agency:
- For USEFM - FP is 07. Actual FP salary determined by Washington D.C.
- All Interested Applicants / All Sources
- Security Clearance Required: Public Trust - Background Investigation
- Appointment Type: Permanent
- Appointment Type Details: Indefinite subject to successful completion of probationary period.
- Start date: Candidate must be able to begin working within a reasonable period of time (6 weeks) of receipt of agency authorization and/or clearances/certifications or their candidacy may end.
- Supervisory Position: No
- Relocation Expenses Reimbursed: No
- Travel Required: Not Required.
- Under the supervision of the Housing Supervisor, the incumbent is responsible for supporting the Housing office in the search for safe and secured properties
- Oversees the management and maintenance of residential properties leased by the USG
- Advices the Realty Specialist on lease decisions; administratively maintains housing files; prepares correspondences for landlords and local government authorities
- Incumbent will be designated as a Contracting Officer Representative (COR) for one or more housing related contracts. Incumbent will self-drive official USG vehicle.
- Incumbent reports to the Realty Specialist and receives additional supervision from the GSO for Housing.
- Track and update all housing related databases and develop databases to track landlords maintenance, upgrades, repairs, make readies, etc.
Qualifications and Evaluations
- Completion of two (2) years of College or University studies is required.
- Three (3) years of experience in a customer service atmosphere that includes managing logistics in a real estate, marketing, sales or a customer-oriented business is required.
- Knowledge of U.S. Government regulations, directives, policies and procedures on Real Property abroad is required.
- Knowledge of Nigerian Real Estate Laws and Property Values is required.
- Knowledge of Nigeria's customary practices and building codes is required. Knowledge of Nigerian Government agencies responsible for documentation and issues relating to Real Property is required.
- This may be tested. Please specify in your application your level of proficiency in language(s) listed.
- Fluent in speaking/reading/writing in English is required. Good Working Knowledge in speaking/reading/writing in at least one Nigerian languages is required.
Skills and Abilities:
- Must be computer literate especially in Microsoft Word and Excel.
- Must be able to drive and possess a valid Nigerian Driver's License.
- Must have effective communication skills which requires typing speed of about 25 words per minute.
- Numerical skills are required in computing data for various data spreadsheets.
Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO):
- The U.S. Mission provides equal opportunity and fair and equitable treatment in employment to all people without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, political affiliation, marital status, or sexual orientation.
- All applicants under consideration will be required to pass medical and security certifications.
- For the current COVID-19 Requirements please visit the following link.
Hiring Preference Selection Process:
- Applicants in the following hiring preference categories are extended a hiring preference in the order listed below.
- Therefore, it is essential that these applicants accurately describe their status on the application. Failure to do so may result in a determination that the applicant is not eligible for a hiring preference.
Hiring Preference Order:
- AEFM / USEFM who is a preference-eligible U.S. Veteran*
- AEFM / USEFM
- FS on LWOP and CS with reemployment rights. **
- Applicants who claim status as a preference-eligible U.S. Veteran must submit a copy of their most recent DD-214 (“Certificate of Release or Discharge from Active Duty”), Letter from Veterans’ Affairs which indicates the present existence of a service-connected disability dated within the past six months, equivalent documentation, or certification.
- A “certification” is any written document from the armed forces that certifies the service member is expected to be discharged or released from active duty service in the armed forces under honorable conditions within 120 days after the certification is submitted by the applicant.
- The certification letter should be on letterhead of the appropriate military branch of the service and contain (1) the military service dates including the expected discharge or release date; and (2) the character of service. Acceptable documentation must be submitted in order for the preference to be given.
- ** This level of preference applies to all Foreign Service employees on LWOP and CS with re-employment rights back to their agency or bureau.
- For more information (i.e., what is an EFM, USEFM, AEFM, MOH, etc.?) and for additional employment considerations, please visit the following link .
N6,455,212 (USD38,894) Annually.
- Locally Employed Staff, including Members of Household (MOHs), and Third-Country Nationals (TCNs), working at the U.S. Mission in Lagos, Nigeria may receive a compensation package that may include health, separation, and other benefits.
- For EFMs, benefits should be discussed with the Human Resources Office.
- The pay plan is assigned at the time of the conditional offer letter by the HR Office.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply
Application Deadline 25th July, 2022.
- All candidates must be able to obtain and hold a Public Trust clearance.
- To apply for this position click the “APPLY TO THIS VACANCY” button at the top of the page. Click on the “Submit Application” button to complete your application process. For more information on how to apply visit the Mission internet site.
In order to qualify based on education, you MUST submit the requested diploma and / or transcripts as verification of educational requirement by the closing date of this announcement. If you fail to provide requested information, or the information you submit is insufficient to verify your eligibility, you will not be considered for this position. The documents required are:
- Residency and/or Work Permit
- Degree or transcript
- Valid Drivers License.
For EFMs, in addition to the above:
- Copy of Orders/Assignment Notification (or equivalent)
- DD-214 - Member Copy 4, Letter from Veterans’ Affairs, or other supporting documentation (if applicable)
- SF-50 (if applicable).
- Applicants who are invited to take a language or skills test, or who are selected for an interview will be contacted via email.
- For further information - the complete position description listing all of the duties, responsibilities, required qualifications, etc. may be obtained by contacting the Human Resources Office