Driver, KAL at British Council
The British Council is the UK’s international organisation for cultural relations and educational opportunities. We create friendly knowledge and understanding between the people of the UK and other countries. We do this by making a positive contribution to the UK and the countries we work with – changing lives by creating opportunities, building connections and engendering trust.
We work with over 100 countries across the world in the fields of arts and culture, English language, education and civil society. Each year we reach over 20 million people face-to-face and more than 500 million people online, via broadcasts and publications. Founded in 1934, we are a UK charity governed by Royal Charter and a UK public body.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Driver, KAL
Contract Type: Fixed Term Up till 31 August 2023
Pay band: K
- The post holder will be responsible for providing safe, secure and efficient transportation of personnel and resources and taking proper care of vehicles in accordance with the organisation’s policies and standards.
- This is a fixed term role to support the provision of secure transportation of personnel and resources for British Council in accordance with the organisation’s policies and standards.
The appointed candidate will have the following accountabilities, responsibilities and main duties:
- The post-holder will be based in Kano and will work as part of a larger team of operations support to the KAL programme.
- Role will involve transport movement within Kano and outside locations when or where necessary.
- Ensure vehicle is serviced in line with the service schedule, periodic routine vehicle checks are made, and defects and damages are reported promptly.
- Carry out driving and transportation duties in relation to travel bookings, activity and event management and maintain vehicle log books, journey and fuel records.
- Clearly communicate transport arrangements and any changes to transport users.
- Deliver excellent customer service while being the first contact with all British Council visitors.
- Ensure vehicles are clean and refueled regularly.
- Periodic travel to risk areas is likely to be necessary following close liaison with Head/Deputy Head of Security. Regular unsocial and over-hours will be required to meet operational requirements of the post
- Carry out routine mail dispatch service as may be required
- As with any business that experiences peaks and troughs of activity, there is likely to be a need to work outside office hours from time to time.
Role Specific Knowledge and Experience
The successful candidate will need to possess the following requirements:
- Secondary School Certificate Examination (SSCE) or equivalent
- In depth knowledge of designated locations and road signs
- Experience of working as part of a successful team/function.
- Experience driving an armoured vehicle (assessed during interview)
- A valid Nigeria driver’s license
- A minimum of 3 years of proven experience in a similar role within the corporate sector or NGO sector.
- Experience working in FCDO-funded or related projects.
- Participation in previous defensive driver training
- Role holder must have existing rights to live and work in the country the role is based.
- Fluent written and spoken English
- Some unsocial hours, weekend work and travel may be required where the need arises.
- Knowledge of the security situation in the state is required as post holder may be required to make prompt decisions in close liaison with State Administrative officer and Operations Manager.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply
Application Deadline 20th June, 2022 by 23:59 Nigeria Time.