Development Alternatives Incorporated (DAI) is an international development company. For more than 45 years, we have worked on the frontlines of international development, tackling fundamental social and economic development problems caused by inefficient markets, ineffective governance, and instability. Currently, DAI is delivering results that matter in some 80 countries.
Our development solutions turn ideas into impact by bringing together fresh combinations of expertise and innovation across multiple disciplines. Our clients include international development agencies, international lending institutions, private corporations and philanthropies, and national governments.
We are recruiting to fill the position of:
Job Title: Driver
Locations: Adamawa, Gombe, Bauchi, Ebonyi and Sokoto
The purpose of the five-year (2020-2025) “State Accountability, Transparency and Effectiveness” (“State2State”) Activity is to increase the accountability, transparency and effectiveness of selected state and local governments (LGAs) in Nigeria. This will be achieved by: strengthening governance systems (with a focus on public financial management [PFM] and procurement, as well as monitoring and evaluation) related to the delivery of services in key sectors (basic education, primary health care, and water, sanitation and hygiene [WASH]); increasing government responsiveness to citizen needs and priorities; and improving government and civil society capacity to manage conflict (through work on prevention, mitigation and reconciliation with the same sectoral partners, not stand-alone assistance to the police or judiciary). State2State will achieve this purpose by facilitating the strengthening of subnational governance systems in a sustainable manner, supporting the efforts of local reformers and building on locally-derived solutions including, to the extent possible, reforms already working in other parts of Nigeria.
- The drivers will be actively responsible for driving, cleaning, and total maintenance of the official project vehicle assigned to him.
- S/he will assist the office in providing support in moving program staff to program venues and other locations within the program states and beyond.
The role of the driver is to provide a variety of transportation support within Nigeria. She/he will be responsible for the following:
- Convey DAI/S2S staff and consultants around official businesses as may be assigned by the Finance and Administrative Specialist(s) (FAS).
- Convey program materials from origin to destination as may be directed in the ordinary course of program work.
- Observing the road and traffic laws and regulations of the Federal Republic of Nigeria.
- Ensure that safe driving practices are adhered to including local driving codes and internally agreed standards.
- Alcohol’/cigarettes’ must not be consumed or present whilst on duty.
- Ensure adequate safety, cleanliness, security and maintenance of the assigned vehicle.
- Properly maintain a movement logbook, daily mileage, gas consumption, oil changes, etc.
- Be responsible for the availability, authenticity, accuracy, validity and currency of the particulars of the assigned vehicle.
- Support Administrative Assistant(s) with any other duty as may be assigned.
- Comply with all security protocols.
Car Security & Maintenance:
- Ensure vehicle is kept secure, clean, tidy and in good working condition at all times.
- To ensure that you report any abnormality noticed with the car to the Finance & Admin. Specialist/Office Manager.
- Ensure vehicle is given regular/day-to-day maintenance checks: check oil, water, battery, brakes, tyres, etc.
- Ensure vehicle repairs are carried out properly by official manufacturers specifications.
- All vehicles must be used for official assignments ONLY and on no account, should the vehicle be diverted for personal use while on official assignment.
- All accidents, however small, must be reported immediately to the FAS.
- The use of mobile phones while driving is not allowed. However, if it is an urgent call, you may first request to park in a safe place before picking the call.
- Dress smartly and be very polite.
- The Drivers will report to the Finance & Admin. Specialists in the State Offices, and the Office Manager in the Bauchi Main Office; who will work closely with the Regional Security Manager to oversee the safety and security of project personnel.
The individual we are looking for will have:
- GCE ordinary level, NECO or any other evidence of successful completion of secondary school education with at least three years’ experience driving in a corporate environment (preferably in an NGO, an Embassy or other international agency);
- Excellent knowledge of the geography and roads network in the location;
- Good communication skills (written & oral);
- Knowledge of First Aid will be a strong advantage;
- Willingness and ability to work long hours when necessary;
- Willingness and ability to travel at short notice.
- A valid driver’s license, Class B;
- Skills techniques training by David Bertie is an advantage;
- Excellent listening skills;
- Calmness and good instinct;
- Applicants are also requested to state clearly in the subject line of their emails for what position and location they are applying.
- Women who meet the above qualifications are encouraged to apply
Application Deadline 29th January, 2021.