Communication Assistant - Speechwriter, Outreach and Advocacy at World Health Organization (WHO)
World Health Organization (WHO) is the directing and coordinating authority for health within the United Nations system. It is responsible for providing leadership on global health matters, shaping the health research agenda, setting norms and standards, articulating evidence-based policy options, providing technical support to countries and monitoring and assessing health trends.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Communication Assistant - Speechwriter, Outreach and Advocacy (G5)
Job ID: 2205525
Location: Abuja, Nigeria
Contractual Arrangement: Special Services Agreement (SSA)
Contract Duration (Years, Months, Days): 6 Months
Organization: AF_NGA Nigeria
- The World Health Organization country office in Nigeria continues to support the Federal Ministry of Health and partners to coordinate and implement essential health interventions towards achievement of universal access by 2030.
- WHO engages with stakeholders, nationally, at state/LGA levels, regionally, as well as within the UN system to facilitate practical expressions of solidarity towards the achievement of agreed development goals.
- WHO works with a wide range of partners including global centers of excellence to intensively explore how building endogenous capacity be encouraged, how broadening and sharing technical expertise within the National framework will systematically occur, and how emerging innovative mechanisms can be harnessed through National Health Sector Development Plan (NHSDPll).
- The communication assistant is responsible for generating content, updating the stakeholder database, developing high-impact communications products for stakeholders, including donors The position requires strategic thinking with the ability to deliver consistently high quality, well-written, thought-provoking materials under pressure and tight deadlines.
Duties and Responsibilities
Under the overall guidance of the Programme Management Focal person and over all supervision and guidance of the NPO Communications, the incumbent will carry out the following specific task:
- Support the 5 clusters through drafting of speeches and articles, consistently ensuring a high level of accuracy and flexibility in creating, writing, and adapting content and presentation for a wide variety of audiences.
- Undertaking original research on a range of development topics (within the context of UN system, Country Cooperation Strategy and Sustainable Development Goals) as needed to substantively inform the speechwriting process.
- Analyzing complex information, including statistics, and other numerical, qualitative, and quantitative data, to extract key messages for integration into speeches, and other communications materials as required.
- Researching audience expectations, event agenda and topics, and assist in focusing the purpose of each speech to tailor messages for maximum audience appeal and impact.
- Drafting other substantive written material for the Office of the WR as requested, including statements, articles, talking points, key messages and other written communications.
- Maintaining an up-to-date archive of speeches and data on the WHO website.
- Extracting key messages from speeches/presentations/articles for dissemination through social media channels, in close collaboration with the Communications Officer.
- The documentation and advocacy assistant is part of the communications team in and will report to the WR (Communication officer).
- Facilitate production of Communication materials such as Press Releases, brochures and short documentaries
- Produce 2 donor-Media Packs
- Organically support expansion of social media community with 1000 monthly new users
- Monthly stakeholder Newsletter shared to at least 5000 stakeholders
- At least 3 articles uploaded on the website on weekly basis
- At least 5000 WHO new users/stakeholders accessing WHO Nigeria website
- Essential: Completion of Secondary School Education, Technical Certificate, or Diploma in Administration / Management from an accredited institution.
- Desirable: University Degree or its equivalent in Journalism, Communications, Sustainable Ddevelopment, Social Science, International Relations, or related field from an accredited institution.
- At least 5 to 7 years’ working experience with WHO or agencies of the United Nations in the development of all written external communications including web articles, factsheets, press releases, Annual Reports, event coverage, including photography, interviews, newsletters, and other media contents
- Organization of press conferences with local and national media outlets
- Experience working collaboratively in a team structure in a multicultural environment.
- Experience working with the Microsoft Office suite, and particularly in development of PowerPoint presentation materials.
- Familiarity with the UN system in general and/or WHO in particular is an asset.
- Production, launch and dissemination of institutional knowledge products, including Press Releases
- Production of digital/social media materials such as tweets, Facebook Live content and short videos
- Excellent general understanding of public health, gender, equity, and other related issues.
Functional Skills and Knowledge:
- Have a good understanding of strategic communication and how it can contribute to the achievement of specific development goals.
- Possess excellent writing skills.
- Ability to engage with other parties and forge productive working relationships.
- Have an understanding of, and experience with the major social media channels.
- Be familiar with global development issues and the world of the UN.
- Be able to write quickly, clearly and concisely.
- Ability to originate or edit written content for media and the general public.
- Knowledge of analytical tools and methods for undertaking substantive research on various policy related issues.
- Fostering integration and teamwork
- Producing results
- Respecting and promoting individual and cultural differences.
- Required: Proficiency in English.
- Desirable: Intermediate knowledge of one of the other official languages of the UN (French, Portuguese and Spanish) would be an asset.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply
Note: Please note that the deadline for receipt of applications indicated above reflects your personal device's system settings
Application Deadline 27th June, 2022.