We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Administrative Officer
Location: Maiduguri, Borno
Type of contract: Fixed Term
Contracted hours: 35
Contract length: 10 months
- The role provides an effective and efficient administrative support to the Humanitarian Response team to enable the smooth functioning of the office, facilities and equipment as well as day to day office operations.
- The role holder ensures that procedures are followed, and standards are met and maintained.
- This role works within the Business Systems Unit of the Nigeria office. The role will be responsible for stock and inventory management, fixed assets management and day to day office running processes.
- The role will also ensure that effective administrative processes in the deep field locations.
- The post holder will ensure that systems are manitained and procedures are followed in all the sub-offices according to Christian Aid standard.
- Facilitate the smooth flow of routine administrative work of the office and program support operations.
- Ensure Christian Aid’s Office and Guesthouse are managed proactively and properly.
- Manage office stock; maintain fixed assets and inventory register
- Responsible for all travel and accommodation arrangements for Christian Aid’s guests and staff in Maiduguri.
- Provides support for office event management (Meetings, seminars and conference)
- Ensure functionality of office equipment and tools like photocopiers, printers, scanners, etc by liaising with the vendors to ensure repairs or maintenance are conducted when the need arise.
- Coordinate the inspection of facilities and intra-office equipment movement for adequate documentation.
- Supervise cleaners and administrative support to ensure general office cleanliness is maintained.
- Ensuring timely processing of utility and service bills (Electricity, Internet, Dstv, Water, Diesel and Fumigation.
- Conduct inductions for new staff on administrative systems and procedures.
- Responsible for maintaining an accurate inventory of office supplies to include stationery, consumables and cartridges/tonner.
- Work closely with Procurement Committee to obtain quotes and tenders from vendors and suppliers for repairs while ensuring value for money, calculate and compare costs for goods and services to maximize cost-effectiveness
- Review performance service contracts to ensure facility management needs are being met
- Take responsibility for maintaining spare keys to all facilities.
- Ensure daily log for generator and diesel usage.
- Check completed work by contractors and vendors on facilities before issuance of job completion notes.
- Generate and prepare monthly report on status of Christian Aid’s facilities in the Humanitarian response.
- Attend to Other duties as assigned
- External – Liaising with external stakeholders at all levels to achieve role objectives and purpose specifically, the Suppliers, Service Providers and Regulatory Institutions.
- Internal – Liaising with colleagues at all levels,
- Making decisions regarding the day to day running of administrative and financial functions within the humanitarian response. Making decisions to ensure relationships are managed effectively with external suppliers. Display good judgements to ensure smooth operations
- Ability to apply logical thinking and common sense to routine taks and information, and testing solutions to day to day issues.
- Continuously look for opportunities for self-development. Give and receive honest and open feedback in a timely manner. Take personal initiative to deliver on responsibility under supervision. Able to request support in the execution of duties and taking advice.
Applied skills/knowledge and expertise:
- Educated to degree level in Business Administration or any relevant discipline.
- Sound knowledge of Office programmes including Word, Outlook, PowerPoint and Excel. Knowledge of relevant database systems.
- Good interpersonal skills and able to work with people of diverse background
- Proven experience of producing and analysing data accurately
- At least 3 years experience in a similar role and familiarity with operations of INGOs..
- Demonstrable ability to communicate fluently in English (oral and written)
- Excellent negotiation skills
- Ability to manage a wide range of complicated issues.
- Sound knowledge of office programmes including Word, Outlook, PowerPoint and Excel. Knowledge of relevant database systems.
- Able to maintain confidentiality and use of discretion where appropriate.
- Pleasant and good-natured disposition with a ‘can do’ attitude /willingness to assist around the office.
- Excellent nonverbal, oral and written communication skills.
- Excellent people skills and ability to manage conflict/difficult situation.
- High sense of responsibility, proactiveness and reliability.
- Familiarity with the North East context
LEVEL 2: You are expected to be able to:
- Take on different work when necessary to achieve a team or organisational goal.
- Actively consult with others to ensure you understand their needs or goals.
- Listen to and take on board fresh perspectives and views even if you initially disagree with them.
- Maintain on-going relationships with individuals and contacts through networks, based on mutual rapport and respect.
- Make complex things simple for the benefit of others.
- Actively listen and question to check your understanding and draw out others when they are not expressing themselves clearly or seem to be holding back.
- Be sensitive to what others may be feeling, based on what they say, how they say it and their non-verbal behavior, adapting your style and approach to fit.
- Address difficult issues when they arise, being honest and open.
- Implement ways to reduce the inefficient use of resources or pass the ideas on to someone who can make them happen.
- Estimate the resources needed to achieve your own work plans or objectives and to deliver them in the most efficient and cost-effective way.
- Set and communicate realistic timelines for achieving tasks, working out how best to adapt as priorities change or unforeseen circumstances arise.
- Prioritise, plan and monitor own work to meet own and team deliverables to agreed performance or quality standards.
- Acknowledge others’ priorities whilst being prepared to say “no” if there are genuine reasons why their needs cannot be met.
- Use logical processes and relevant tools and techniques to report on information or analyse options.
- Make timely and considered recommendations or decisions based on analysis of available data, information and evidence.
- Evaluate your own work and actively address gaps in knowledge and skills, without prompting.
- Recognise how you react to feedback and manage reactions positively, acting on specific feedback from others.
- Share your knowledge where it will help others to be more effective.
- Provide instruction, constructive feedback and guidance to others to help them learn.
- Constructively challenge existing practice.
- Seek better ways of doing things, taking into account the possible implications.
- Make positive suggestions on a way forward when faced with challenges even if these fall outside own scope of work.
- Look inside and outside Christian Aid for new ideas and evaluate them for own work.
N8,114,408 Salary (full time)
Application Closing Date
18th October, 2019.
30th October, 2019.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online
Click here for more Information (Pdf)
- Further details of specific tasks and duties will be agreed with the line manager as part of the performance agreement. Any reasonable duty may be assigned that is consistent with the nature of the job and its level of responsibility.
- This role profile is not prescriptive; it merely outlines the key behaviours the role-holder requires to be successful in the role; the key behaviours and responsibilities are subject to change. Any changes will be made in consultation with the role-holder.
- You will be expected to abide by the Code of Conduct, policies and procedures within Christian Aid which may be updated from time to time.
- You must be in sympathy with the aims, beliefs and values of Christian Aid as it seeks to work on relief, development and advocacy for poverty eradication.