Canonical is a growing multinational software company that works with the open-source community to deliver Ubuntu — the world’s leading cloud operating system. Our services help businesses worldwide to reduce costs, improve efficiency and enhance security with Ubuntu.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Senior Software Engineer – Cloud Engineering
- This is a fast-paced engineering role in Linux-based software-defined infrastructure and applications, covering all layers of the stack, including bare metal, virtualization (KVM) and containerization (LXC/LXD), storage (Ceph and Linux filesystems), networking (OVS, OVN and Core networking), up to OpenStack and Kubernetes, and the open source applications running on top of them.
- This role is an opportunity for a technologist with a passion for Linux and open source to build a career with Canonical and drive success for our customers, community and the company. If you have an affinity for open source development, great communication skills, and a passion for troubleshooting and fixing issues in technology used by millions across the world, then you will enjoy working with some of the best people in the industry at Canonical.
- This role deals with critical issues in the open source stack that require software engineering for upstream fixes. Our engineers have to be able to work productively at any level of the stack above the kernel, in a wide range of languages, to understand and address the software issues at hand. Our group is critical to the success of our enterprise customers, partners and Ubuntu itself.
- You will help with troubleshooting and driving issues to resolution with workarounds, guidance, and fixes to be released upstream and in Ubuntu.
As a Cloud Software Engineer you will:
- Resolve complex customer problems related to Ubuntu, OpenStack, or Kubernetes
- Maintain a close working relationship with Canonical’s field, support and product engineering teams
- Participate in upstream communities
- Develop fixes, backport patches, and work with upstream for inclusion
- Demonstrate good judgement in technical methods and techniques
- Prioritise work and manage your time effectively against those priorities
- Participate in team discussions to improve processes, tools, and documentation
- Maintain clear, technical and concise communications
- Travel internationally up to 10% of work time for team meetings, events and conferences
What you’ll do:
- Collaborate proactively with a distributed team
- Debug issues and produce high quality code to fix them
- Review code produced by other engineers
- Discuss ideas and collaborate on finding good solutions
- Work from home with global travel 2 to 4 weeks per year for internal and external events
The successful Cloud Software Engineer will have:
- Bachelor’s or equivalent in Computer Science, STEM or similar degree
- Professional experience as a software engineer is required
- Strong experience with Linux, OpenStack, Kubernetes or other cloud technologies
- Strong development-level experience with Python, Go, C, C++ on Linux
- Ability to troubleshoot with gdb and other tools
- Familiarity with git source code repositories and branches
Who you are:
- You love technology and working with brilliant people
- You are curious, flexible, articulate, and accountable
- You value soft skills and are passionate, enterprising, thoughtful, and self-motivated
- You have interest in, and experience with most of the following: Ubuntu Linux – kernel or userspace, Kubernetes, OpenStack, Ceph, QEMU/KVM, LXC/LXD, Python, Go, C, Postgresql, Mongo, Debian packaging, distributed systems
- Learning and personal professional development budget
- Annual compensation review
- Recognition rewards
- Annual leave
- Generous parental leave
- Priority Pass for travel.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online