Senior IT Assistant at the United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees
United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees (UNHCR) was created in 1950, during the aftermath of the Second World War, to help millions of Europeans who had fled or lost their homes. We had three years to complete our work and then disband. Today, over 65 years later, our organization is still hard at work, protecting and assisting refugees around the world.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Senior IT Assistant
Job ID: JR2318823
Location: Yola, Adamawa
Employment Type: Full Time
Hardship Level: D
Family Type: Non Family with Residential Location
Residential location (if applicable): Accra, Ghana
Staff Member / Affiliate Type: General Service
Reason: Temporary > Temporary Assignment/ Appointment
Remote work accepted: No
Target Start Date: 2023-06-01
Target End Date: 2023-12-31
Organizational Setting and Work Relationships
- The Senior IT Assistant will work under the direct supervision of a Senior Officer and the technical supervision of an IT Officer at Sub/Branch/Multi-Country office level.
- The incumbent may play a supervisory role in overlooking the day-to-day activities of the Telecom Operators in the offices in the area of coverage.
- S/he has working relationships with UNHCR staff members in the office and other offices within the country of assignment as well as with staff of UN agencies and other UNHCR partners within the area of responsibility (AOR) to exchange information and to provide assistance.
- Assist the office in implementing set standards for applications that meets the needs of the users and supports the overall Information and Communication Technology.
- Monitor and maintain the LAN, Network Servers, Routers, Printers, LAN Points, Switches, Patch panels, Access points, HF and VHF bases, HF and VHF relay stations, Satellite Modem¿to prevent faults occurring.
- Evaluate needs for upgrading and eventually replacing ICT equipment in the field, to meet with UNHCR standards.
- Select the most efficient and economic means for the transmission of messages, taking into consideration the nature and priority of communications to be transmitted.
- Carry out administrative duties, within the area of competence as assigned.
- To decide on appropriate resolution to incidents. - Escalating incidents where they cannot be resolved at the office level
- Carry out missions for new installations and routine maintenance tours of ICT equipment.
- Ensure that ICT problem recovery is done as quickly as possible and make regular system back-ups.
- Assist with the installation of the software packages, basic repair/maintenance of computer hardware, HF and VHF equipment.
- Train UNHCR staff on email system, utilization of VHF handhelds, telephone system.
- Add and remove users from the Networks.
- Maintain the inventory of ICT equipment and keep track of movements of ICT equipment.
- Draft mails and memoranda on ICT matters.
- Assist in the drafting of technical documentation on radio equipment operating procedures
- Certify invoices and delivery notes and pass for payment.
- Perform other related duties as required.
Education & Professional Work Experience:
- Years of Experience / Degree Level For G5- 2 years relevant experience with High School Diploma; or 1 year relevant work experience with Bachelor's or equivalent or Higher.
Field(s) of Education:
- Not applicable
Certificates and/or Licenses:
- Telecommunication Information Technology.
Relevant Job Experience:
- Essential: Relevant experience in the ICT field.
- Desirable: Hands-on experience with wireless and VoIP systems, electricity, generators, lightning protection an asset. Functional Skills IT-Computer Literacy
- For International Professional and Field Service jobs: Knowledge of English and UN working language of the duty station if not English.
- For National Professional jobs: Knowledge of English and UN working language of the duty station if not English and local language.
- For General Service jobs: Knowledge of English and/or UN working language of the duty station if not English.
Desired Candidate Profile:
Field(s) of Education:
- Diploma / Degree in Computer Science, Information and Communication Technology, Computer Engineering, or related fields.
- Relevant experience in the ICT field. Good knowledge of computer networks, Microsoft applications, satellite and security telecommunications, and CISCO networking devices.
- UN/INGO experience in the field of ICT.
- Desirable candidate should be willing to work long hours and ready to frequently travel to deep field locations.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply
Application Deadline 29th May, 2023.