ACTED has been committed since 1993, to immediate humanitarian relief to support those in urgent need and protect people’s dignity, while co-creating longer term opportunities for sustainable growth and fulfilling people’s potential. ACTED, headquartered in Paris, France is present in four continents and our teams intervene in 37 countries towards 14 million people, responding to emergency situations, supporting rehabilitation projects and accompanying the dynamics of development. Over 5,000 staff are dedicated to implementing and developing our projects.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: REACH GIS Officer
About the job
- The REACH GIS Officer will contribute towards the identification and implementation of effective and adapted technical solutions.
- The REACH GIS Officer will also provide technical backstopping to the REACH team as needed and where possible.
- He/she will also support the collection of spatial data and integration with REACH activities.
The REACH GIS Officer shall be responsible for:
- Identify map information needs.
- Identify and access map information sources.
- Design, test and troubleshoot spatial data collection tools
- Ensure accurate linkages between spatial databases and assessment data,
- Conduct robust and accurate spatial analysis as needed
- Automate product production processes to ensure regular, reliable and predictable outputs
- Ensures that the produced maps meet the requirements of REACH and partners.
- Conceptualize methodologies for collecting data in the field, as according to need.
- Organize and supervise GIS field missions, as according to need
- Provide maps and mobile data collection tools to support ongoing assessments
- Conduct regular spatial verification of all data collected in the field to ensure locational accuracy
- Cross check data collected in the field, ensure regular updates and solve eventual discrepancies
- Develop and maintain a robust spatial data infrastructure for all consortium activities in line with REACH best-practices
- Regularly update common datasets and ensure version control
- Develop and hold trainings to support internal capacity strengthening
All employees should master ACTED's core Principles: Independence, Neutrality, Non-discrimination, free and direct access to victims, Ethics, Professionalism, anti-Corruption, Transparency and Accountability Moreover, we also expect the following:
Qualifications and Experience
- Master’s degree in Geography / GIS or a related discipline;
- 3 years of experience in GIS / Database management, preferably in humanitarian context
- Demonstrated expertise in manipulation and analysis of remotely sensed data, spatial analysis, zonal statistics, and other complex geoprocessing tasks required
- Demonstrated expertise in automation of cartographic and spatial analytical process
- Demonstrated expertise in the use of collaborative online workspaces and data storage applications
- Demonstrated experience designing and maintaining web-based GIS solutions an asset
- Experience analysing complex data with R and knowledge of other statistical programming languages and packages a plus;
- Substantial experience with mobile data collection (ODK, ONA, KOBO);
- Knowledge of the Adobe Suite, particularly Illustrator and InDesign, required; demonstrated ability to integrate workflow processes between ArcGIS and Adobe Suite a must
- Excellent teamwork skills required
- Demonstrated ability to build capacity in team members
- Ability to operate in a cross-cultural environment requiring flexibility a must
- Demonstrated familiarity with the aid system, and understanding of donor and governmental requirements required
- Fluency in English required; fluency in languages relevant to NE Nigeria (Kanuri, Hausa, etc..) an asset
- High level of competency with Microsoft Word, Excel and Project Management Software.
- High level of autonomy and willingness to spend time in deep field locations away from support staff
- Contract length: 6 months, with possibility of extension
- Level: D2-1 (national contract)
- Start date: ASAP
Application Closing Date
6th February, 2020.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online
- All applicants must send a cover letter and an updated CV (no longer than four pages) in English.
- CV and Cover Letter indicating and explaining the suitability to the position applied.
- Provide contact details (name, position, email address and tel. no.) of 3 professional non-related references, whereas 1 must be for the latest employer. Please do not attach any written recommendations.
- Applications should be addressed to: The Recruitment Manager,
- Only motivated applications that address the stipulated duties and meet the required qualifications, sent together with a CV, will be considered. CV-only applications will not be considered. Please note: The position title and location must be written in the subject line of the e-mail otherwise not considered.
- ACTED considers all applicants on the basis of merit without regard to race, sex, colour, religion, sexual orientation, age, marital status, or disability.
- CVs will be review on rolling bases Due to the large numbers of expected applicants ACTED will only inform shortlisted candidates. We apologise for the inconvenience. Only short-listed applicants will be invited for written test and oral interview.
- For general information about ACTED, please consult: www.acted.org