United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees (UNHCR) was created in 1950, during the aftermath of the Second World War, to help millions of Europeans who had fled or lost their homes. We had three years to complete our work and then disband. Today, over 65 years later, our organization is still hard at work, protecting and assisting refugees around the world.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Assistant ICT Officer
Job ID: 21137
Location: Abuja, Nigeria
Salary Grade: NA
Hardship Level: C
Family Location Type: Family
Organizational Setting and Work Relationships
- Under the technical supervision of ICT Officer or Administrative Officer, the Assistant ICT Officer implements the ICT operational plan in a well-defined geographical area.
- The incumbent provides technical supervision and guidance to locally recruited staff and ensure that ICT equipment is fully operational at all times. S / he receives technical support and guidance from their supervisor.
- Internally, the incumbent liaises directly with own Service Delivery Team on a daily basis as well as with end-users to clarify, analyse and resolve reported issues. S/he may also liaise with external service providers, as required, to resolve escalated infrastructure issues.
- All UNHCR staff members are accountable to perform their duties as reflected in their job description. They do so within their delegated authorities, in line with the regulatory framework of UNHCR which includes the UN Charter, UN Staff Regulations and Rules, UNHCR Policies and Administrative Instructions as well as relevant accountability frameworks.
- In addition, staff members are required to discharge their responsibilities in a manner consistent with the core, functional, cross-functional and managerial competencies and UNHCR's core values of professionalism, integrity and respect for diversity.
- Participate in the assessment of operational and security infrastructure needs in each UNHCR office in the area of responsibility (AOR).
- Support the implementation of the ICT operations plan and thereafter ensures that all equipment is in good working conditions at all times as to meet the ICT needs of the offices.
- Discuss infrastructure needs with the Head of offices in the AOR and provide input for the budget submission.
- Monitor and coordinate the work of other ICT staff as directed by the Head of Offices in accordance with the standards set by Headquarters.
- Maintain an up-to-date inventory of all infrastructure equipment under AOR.
- Provide coaching and training to ICT staff and users. Draft procedures and instructions to promote a better understanding of the use of the ICT equipment.
- Participate in the assessment of security-related projects in coordination with the Field Security Officer and assist in the formulation of recommendations on security communications.
- Promote relation with UNHCR implementing partners to enhance communication and avoid duplication of efforts.
- Liaise with the National Regulatory Authority to ensure that licenses and permissions required to operate UNHCR telecommunications networks are granted.
- Actively participate in ICT related meetings to ensure that all decisions taken meet UNHCR's operational and security requirements.
- Liaise directly with end-users to clarify, analyse and resolve reported issues, delivering high standards of customer service.
- Perform other related duties as required.
Education & Professional Work Experience:
- Years of Experience / Degree Level
- For P1 / NOA – 1 year relevant experience with Undergraduate degree; or no experience with Graduate degree; or no experience with Doctorate degree
Field(s) of Education:
- ICT; or other relevant fields.
Certificates and / or Licenses:
- *Satellite Communications;
- *ITIL V3 Foundation Level
(Certificates and Licenses marked with an asterisk* are essential)
Relevant Job Experience:
- Hands-on experience working in current versions of Microsoft Windows Server, Active Directory, SQL Server. SharePoint, Hyper-V and network monitoring software.
- Knowledge of VoIP technology and network systems.
- Hands-on experience with wireless and VoIP systems and knowledge of network monitoring software.
- Hands-on experience with current Microsoft technologies (Windows 7, Office 2010/2013, IIS, Lync, etc.).
- Microsoft Certified Technology Specialist.
- Practical experience working in the deep field.
- Experience working with an external managed service provider for ICT infrastructure maintenance and support.
- EX-Experience with external managed service provider for ICT infrast maintenance & support
- IT-Wide Area Networks (WAN)
- IT-IT Satellite Communications (VSAT)
- IT-IT Radio Communications (HF, UHF, VHF)
- IT-IT Network Monitoring & Alerting Tools
- IT-IT Telephony
- EX-Field experience
This is a Standard Job Description for all UNHCR jobs with this job title and grade level. The Operational Context may contain additional essential and / or desirable qualifications relating to the specific operation and / or position. Any such requirements are incorporated by reference in this Job Description and will be considered for the screening, shortlisting and selection of candidates.
- Managerial Competencies
- Empowering and Building Trust
- Managing Performance
- Judgement and Decision Making
- Strategic Planning and Vision
- Managing Resources
- Analytical Thinking
- Innovation and Creativity
- Technological Awareness
- Negotiation and Conflict Resolution
- Planning and Organizing
- Policy Development and Research
- Political Awareness
- Stakeholder Management
- Change Capability and Adaptability
- For International Professional and Field Service jobs: Knowledge of English and UN working language of the duty station if not English.
- For National Professional jobs: Knowledge of English and UN working language of the duty station if not English and local language.
- For General Service jobs: Knowledge of English and / or UN working language of the duty station if not English.
Application Closing Date
31st July, 2020; 11:59 PM. Nigeria time.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online
Important Information and Notice
- This Job Opening is available to eligible UNHCR staff members and external applicants. Applicants must be Nigerian nationals.
Procedures and Eligibility:
- Interested applicants should consult the Administrative Instruction on Recruitment and Assignment of Locally Recruited Staff (RALS).
- A written test will be conducted for this position which will be followed by a competency-based interview.
- Please note that UNHCR does not charge a fee at any stage of its recruitment process (application, interview, meeting, travelling, processing, training or any other fees).