Procurement Assistant at Mercy Corps
Mercy Corps is a leading global organization powered by the belief that a better world is possible. In disaster, in hardship, in more than 40 countries around the world, we partner to put bold solutions into action - helping people triumph over adversity and build stronger communities from within. Now, and for the future.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Procurement Assistant
Requisition Number: PROCU002019
Location: Abuja (FCT)
Employment Type: Full-time
Reports Directly to: Senior Procurement Officer
Program / Department Summary
- Mercy Corps has been present in Nigeria since 2012, focusing its interventions on humanitarian assistance, economic development, and conflict mitigation. With the ongoing insurgency in Northeast Nigeria causing the displacement of millions of individuals, Mercy Corps started its humanitarian response in 2014 to address the rising humanitarian needs.
- As the crisis has persisted, Mercy Corps’ strategy has also expanded to address the root causes of the conflict and seek to build the long term resilience of communities with integrated programs focusing on governance, the recovery of markets and livelihoods, social cohesion and social protection, youth empowerment, and local conflict management.
General Position Summary
- The Procurement Department is committed to implementing and maintaining the highest standards of efficiency and integrity in the purchase of goods and services.
- The overriding objective for all Mercy Corps procurement activity is the prompt and effective provision of materials and services to Mercy Corps’ beneficiary populations in compliance with donor specifications.
Essential Job Responsibilities
- Update on-going PR Master list with all assigned purchase requests and share with program team on a weekly basis
- Printing Purchase Requests (PRs) in coordination with Operations Manager and Senior Procurement Officer; ensuring that PR is given to the originator for appropriate signatures
- Collects quotations and bids from the market for PR-s as assigned by the manager – as per Mercy Corps standards and formats;
- Interact with vendors during the collection of quotations – explain Mercy Corps formats and ensure that vendors will use the provided
- Update Completed PR Master list with all assigned
- Update contract tracking sheet on a weekly basis
- Preparing payments for all assigned procurement
- File completed transactions as necessary
- Assist the Operations Manager and office staff with procurement activities, as required;
- Identify assets during the course of procurement and notify the Asset Controller on receipts of
- The Procurement Assistant will conduct himself/herself both professionally and personally in such a manner as to bring credit to Mercy Corps and to not jeopardize its humanitarian
- Ensure fair competition and strictly adhere to MC procurement rules regarding vendor relations as described below:
- Interact with vendors, in coordination with Operations Manager; coordinating with Finance department to ensure payments are facilitated in a timely manner
- Ensure goods are received in accordance with Mercy Corps standards.
- Has a full understanding of MC procurement policies and formats.
- Prepare the required documentation of supplies and transactions are completed to MC
- Other duties as assigned
- Ensure compliance with security procedures and policies as determined by country
- Proactively ensure that team members operate in a secure environment and are aware of
- Work closely with Mercy Corps Nigeria country team’s security focal point to develop and maintain systems that ensure the safety and security of the team in all aspects of its implementation
- As part of our commitment to organizational learning and in support of our understanding that learning organizations are more effective, efficient and relevant to the communities they serve, we expect all team members to commit 5% of their time to learning activities that benefit Mercy Corps as well as
Accountability to Beneficiaries
- Mercy Corps team members are expected to support all efforts toward accountability, specifically to our beneficiaries and to international standards guiding international relief and development
- Accountable for following Mercy Corps Field Procurement Manual, the MC Code of conduct regarding procurement activities and MC Conflict of Interest policy
Knowledge and Experience
- Candidates should possess Bachelor's Degree
- Conscientious with an excellent sense of judgement.
- Ability to work simultaneously on multiple.
- Good spoken and written
- Computer literate and strong organizational
- Excellent oral and written English skills.
- Willingness and ability to work effectively with a wide variety of
- Excellent interpersonal
- Ability to work as part of a team and coordinate with project
- The ability to interact effectively with international and national personnel is required. A demonstrated ability to multi-task, meet deadlines and process information in support of changing program activities is necessary.
- The most successful Mercy Corps staff members have a strong commitment to teamwork and accountability, thrive in evolving and changing environments and make effective written and verbal communication a priority in all situations.
- Mercy Corps team members represent the agency both during and outside work hours. Team members are expected to conduct themselves in a professional manner and respect local laws, customs and MC's policies, procedures, and values at all times and in all in-country venues.
Living Conditions / Environmental Conditions:
- The position is based in Abuja and will require travel to field offices in and around Mercy Corps Nigeria as and when required
Diversity, Equity & Inclusion:
- Achieving our mission begins with how we build our team and work together. Through our commitment to enriching our organization with people of different origins, beliefs, backgrounds, and ways of thinking, we are better able to leverage the collective power of our teams and solve the world’s most complex challenges.
- We strive for a culture of trust and respect, where everyone contributes their perspectives and authentic selves, reaches their potential as individuals and teams, and collaborates to do the best work of their lives.
- We recognize that diversity and inclusion is a journey, and we are committed to learning, listening and evolving to become more diverse, equitable and inclusive than we are today.
Safeguarding & Ethics:
- Mercy Corps is committed to ensuring that all individuals we come into contact with through our work, whether team members, community members, program participants or others, are treated with respect and dignity.
- We are committed to the core principles regarding the prevention of sexual exploitation and abuse laid out by the UN Secretary-General and IASC.
- We will not tolerate child abuse, sexual exploitation, abuse, or harassment by or of our team members.
- As part of our commitment to a safe and inclusive work environment, team members are expected to conduct themselves in a professional manner, respect local laws and customs, and adhere to Mercy Corps Code of Conduct Policies and values at all times.
- Team members are required to complete mandatory Code of Conduct eLearning courses upon hire and on an annual basis.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply
Important Information and Notice
- Mercy Corps is an equal opportunity employer that does not tolerate discrimination on any basis. We actively seek out diverse backgrounds, perspectives, and skills so that we can be collectively stronger and have a sustained global impact. We are committed to providing an environment of respect and psychological safety where equal employment opportunities are available to all.
- We do not engage in or tolerate discrimination on the basis of race, colour, gender identity, gender expression, religion, age, sexual orientation, national or ethnic origin, disability (including HIV/AIDS status), marital status, military veteran status or any other protected group in the locations where we work
Application Deadline 22nd November, 2021.