The United Nations Office for West Africa and the Sahel (UNOWAS) is looking for a highly motivated and results-oriented team player to join a dynamic team.
Title Position Political Affairs Officer (open to nationals of Nigeria only)
Number of posts 01
Type of contract Fixed Term
Duration of contract One (01) year renewable subject to mandate and post extension
Category and level NO-C
Duty station Abuja, Nigeria
Unit/Section UNOWAS Abuja Liaison Cell
Issuing date 23/02/2021
Closing date 08/03/2021
The United Nations Office for West Africa and the Sahel (UNOWAS) is entrusted with the overall
mandate of enhancing the contributions of the UN towards the achievement of peace and security in West Africa and the Sahel. It engages in preventive diplomacy, good offices and political
mediation and facilitation in countries in West Africa and the Sahel.
Organizational Setting: The position is located in the Political Affairs Section of the UN Office for West Africa and the Sahel (UNOWAS). The incumbent will assist the Senior Political Affairs Officer,
Head of the UNOWAS Abuja Liaison Cell in contributing to foster coordination and facilitation of UN efforts to enhance ECOWAS’ capacities for conflict prevention and address cross-border and
cross-cutting threats to peace and security. In this capacity, she/he will be responsible for the following duties.
Duties and Responsibilities
Under the direct supervision of the Senior, Head of the Abuja Liaison Cell, the incumbent will be responsible for the following duties:
• Participates fully in assigned operational activities related to the work of the UNOWAS
Abuja Liaison Cell within the framework of enhancing UNOWAS-ECOWAS partnership in areas of common interest including, conflict prevention and resolution, political and governance institution-building, civil society support work; supports an integrated approach
that includes a rights-based dimension, conflict prevention sensitivity, and a gender perspective into the policy, planning and operational activities of the UNOWAS Abuja Liaison Cell.
• Prepares summary and analytical reports including, but not limited to, situation reports, briefing notes, options papers, code cables and input for UNOWAS weekly reports and the reports of the Secretary-General to the Security Council. Prepares briefing notes and talking
points for the Head of the Mission, Chief Political Affairs Officer, Head of Abuja Liaison Cell and other senior staff. Develops and maintains relations with ECOWAS counterparts and other relevant partners at the working levels and advises them on issues and policies of mutual concern
• As part of the UNOWAS Abuja Liaison Cell team, assists in planning, coordinating and supporting programmes, projects and activities requiring involvement and participation of other UNOWAS units or sections. Represents the Abuja Liaison Cell at meetings, seminars
and conferences and act as officer in charge in the absence of the Head of the Liaison Cell.
• Supports the Head of the Abuja Liaison Cell supervisor in the formulation of the programme of work, budget and medium-term plans of the Abuja Liaison Cell by participating in meetings, and compiling or researching issues related to the Liaison Cell.
• Performs other related duties as required.
• Professionalism: Ability to identify and analyze political, ethnic, racial, social and economic problems that cause civil unrest in a country or geographic area. Shows pride in work and in achievements; demonstrates professional competence and mastery of subject matter; is conscientious and efficient in meeting commitments, observing deadlines and achieving results; is motivated by professional rather than personal concerns; shows persistence when faced with difficult problems or challenges; remains calm in stressful situations. Takes responsibility for incorporating gender
• Planning & Organizing: Develops clear goals that are consistent with agreed strategies; identifies priority activities and assignments; adjusts priorities as required; allocates appropriate
amount of time and resources for completing work; foresees risks and allows for contingencies when planning; monitors and adjusts plans and actions as necessary; uses time efficiently. efficiently.
• Teamwork: Works collaboratively with colleagues to achieve organizational goals; solicits input by genuinely valuing others’ ideas and expertise; is willing to learn from others; places team agenda before personal agenda; supports and acts in accordance with final group decision, even when such decisions may not entirely reflect own position; shares credit for team accomplishments and accepts joint responsibility for team shortcomings.
Education: Advanced university degree (Master’s degree or equivalent degree) in political science, international relations, social sciences, law, public administration or a related field. A first level university degree in combination with two additional years of qualifying experience may be
accepted in lieu of the advanced university degree.
A minimum of five years of progressively responsible experience in political science, international relations, law, disarmament, security, conflict resolution or related field, is required.
One year of experience working on United Nations relations with regional or sub regional organisations is desirable.
Experience working in West African countries or on issues of the sub region is desirable.
English and French are the working languages of the United Nations Secretariat.
Fluency in English (both oral and written) is required and knowledge of French is
Applicants meeting the above qualifications are requested to submit the following only:
– Cover letter
– Completed and signed P-11 form (please note the P11- Form is available on the
UNOWAS Website at www.unowas.unmissions.org )
– Copy of Diplomas and Degrees
Applications should be submitted by email to:
no later than 8 March 2021.
Note: Please indicate clearly the vacancy number and title in the email subject. Only short-listed
candidates will be contacted.
Evaluation of qualified candidates for this position may include a written assessment followed by a