- Company: WaterAid Nigeria
- Location: Nigeria
- State: Abuja Jobs
- Job type: Full-Time
- Job category: Administrative/Secretarial Jobs in Nigeria
WaterAid is an international non-for-profit organization dedicated to helping people break free from poverty and disease, unlock their potential and change their lives for good through improved access to clean water, decent toilets and good hygiene. WaterAid started its operation in Nigeria in 1995. Since then it has successfully executed several intervention programmes as outlined by its objectives and has made impact in the lives of the very poor. WaterAid with the country office in Abuja currently works in Bauchi, Enugu and Plateau States with funding from various donors and partners.
We are recruiting to fill the position of:
Job Title: Communications Officer (Maternity Cover)
Duration: Four months (maternity cover)
Department: Programmes Directorate
Reports to: Communications and Media Manager
- This position will have a critical responsibility for supporting the delivery of strategic and high-quality communications programming. It will promote and strengthen WaterAid Nigeria’s profile through the media and other opportunities.
- The role will improve overall country programme communication quality by shaping copy into concise, engaging and highly effective material for a range of audiences. The role will be an authority on our brand and communications in general.
Communications and Media:
- Engage with regular and social media to actively promote WaterAid’s image and visibility.
- Edit and produce WaterAid content in a variety of formats including print and digital.
- Provide on demand support to colleagues with layout of simple documents and publications as may be required.
- Source articles and coordinate the edit and layout of the country programme’s regular newsletter publication, collating and reviewing content from staff and partners and from all our work for sharing with wider audiences.
- Provide editorial service to other WaterAid departments, overseeing copy editing, design and print.
- Develop and facilitate content to contribute to build communications skills and capacity in other teams across the country programme.
- Help to coordinate communications activity and content across the country programme, developing Terms of References for engagement of outsourced communications consultants and managing them to deliver quality work in line with consultancy requirements.
- Directly responsible for maintaining WaterAid’s case study and photo library; work with information technology colleagues to evolve improved approaches for managing photo and digital communications materials.
- Act as in –house brand specialist ensuring all WaterAid branding requirements are complied with by all staff.
- Work with colleagues throughout the organisation to plan, write, and support media work around WaterAid Nigeria’s service delivery and advocacy work, campaigns, fundraising initiatives, and key organisational moments.
- Work with communication & media colleagues globally to develop and execute work including the provision of communication and media materials.
- Build and maintain excellent relationships with relevant journalists, broadcasters and commentators in the local, national and international media and widen interest in WaterAid’s work.
- Write copy as required for print and web outlets, in-house use or use by third parties on behalf of WaterAid.
- Work with individuals and departments throughout the organisation to design and deliver internal communication campaigns to engage staff in external initiatives and key organisational moments by coming up with creative concepts and developing strategies, identifying relevant tools and channels, executing the campaign, and promoting it.
- Monitor and evaluate communications and media coverage and make recommendations on future activity.
- Maintain and update accounts across all major social media platforms day to day (Twitter, Facebook, YouTube, Google+, Pinterest), to enhance brand awareness and develop deeper engagement with existing and potential supporters.
- Flag any inaccurate or potentially damaging comments on social media for the Communications & Media Manger’s attention and contribute to measures to counter impact of such inaccurate or potentially damaging content.
- Innovate ideas and approaches for delivering social media and digital content for promoting WaterAid Nigeria’s programmes, influencing & campaigns and fundraising focus.
- Undertake editorial/media production activities as directed by the Communications & Media Manager.
- Manage WaterAid Nigeria’s websites and other online platforms. Ensure the website is easily accessible and contains up-to-date and relevant information about its contributions and services to the sector and communities.
- Degree in relevant discipline, preferably a Master’s Degree or higher in Communications.
- Three to four years’ experience working in a communications and media role, including the production of a variety of content and materials, for different media
- Basic knowledge and understanding of development issues, and WASH issues in particular.
- Excellent command of the English language, verbal, written communication, and editorial skills; with the ability to write tailored, effective content for specific audiences.
- Accuracy and keen attention to detail, in order to produce high quality communications.
- Understanding of how media & social media can be used as an influencing tool – whether to encourage fundraising and engagement or influence decision makers.
- Experience of liaising with journalists.
- Knowledge and experience of using Adobe InDesign and Photoshop, or other design software used to produce and lay out publications and other communication materials would be useful.
- Proven ability to think creatively and so generate a wide range of communications materials & media coverage.
- Knowledge of a range of measuring and analytics tools, and the ability to apply metrics to media & social media activity.
- Ability to forge effective collaborative working relationships within the team and with colleagues from across the organisation.
- Excellent organisation and time management skills. Able to prioritise workload and work well under pressure.
- Computer literate, good IT skills in Microsoft Word, Excel and Outlook.
- Ability to work independently as well as collaboratively within a team setting.
- Ability to deliver work on time and to a high standard.
- Show Initiative and be creative — willingness to take on responsibilities and challenges.
- Commitment to WaterAid’s values and a working style that reflects these.
- A communications or media related degree.
- Previous experience of working for an NGO.
- Experience of working in a communications and/or media role for an international organisation.
- Experience of helping to influence decision makers through media work.
- An interest in international development.
- Experience of managing content on an intranet.
Our People Promise
- We’re looking for people who share a commitment to our vision, and a commitment to playing their part in changing normal.
- We’re looking for people with an appreciation and respect for different people and ideas, and the energy and expertise to help tackle the most important challenges. In return, you can expect to get inspiration from the change you help make happen, a sense of belonging and the feeling of being part of a global community.
- You will also experience stimulation and fulfilment, the chance to grow, and space to be yourself at your best. This is our pledge to you.
WaterAid Salary Band D.
Application Closing Date
11th November, 2021.
Method of ApplicationSubmit your CV and Application on Company Website : Click Here Click here for more information Note
- To apply for this role you must be able to demonstrate your eligibility to work in Nigeria. Only candidates shortlisted for interviews will be contacted.
- WaterAid is an equal opportunities employer and positively encourages applications from suitably qualified and eligible candidates regardless of sex, race, disability, age, sexual orientation, gender reassignment, religion or belief, marital status, or pregnancy and maternity.
- We particularly encourage applications from women who are underrepresented at this level in the organisation.
- WaterAid is committed to ensuring that wherever we work in the world there is no tolerance for the abuse of power, privilege or trust. WaterAid reinforces a culture of zero tolerance towards any form of inappropriate behaviour, abuse, harassment, or exploitation of any kind. The safeguarding of our beneficiaries, staff, volunteers and anyone working on our behalf, is our top priority, and we take our responsibilities extremely seriously. All staff and volunteers are required to share in this commitment through our Global Code of Conduct.