Senior Product Manager at Paga Nigeria
Paga is a licensed financial services company and a leading payments company in Nigeria with a massive transformative purpose – to make it simple for one billion people to access and use money. It was founded on the simple belief that the ubiquity of mobile phones can be leveraged in building an ecosystem that enables people to digitally send and receive money and creating simple financial access for everyone.
We are recruiting to fill the position of:
Job Title: Senior Product Manager
Financial Technology Services
Head of Product Management
- Our purpose at Paga is to make it simple for 1 billion people to access and use money. We do that by delivering innovative financial services to the mass market across large, underserved markets.
- At Paga we value above all else, Collaboration, Ownership, Results Orientation Integrity and Innovation (CORII).
- Product development activities at Paga fall within the Product Development group, which has distinct, full-stack (from a resource perspective) teams dedicated to different functional organization unit in the company. For example, one of the functional teams in the Product Development team is the Agent Network Team which is responsible for development and delivery of products used by the large network of financial service delivery point (agents), across the countries where Paga exists.
- As a full-stack team, this team includes project management, product management, software and database engineering, quality assurance, and UI/UX/Product-Design resources. All teams execute product development using agile (Scrum) methodologies.
As a Senior Product Manager at Paga, you will guide a team that is responsible for owning product development for an entire functional unit of Paga. This means:
- Engaging in strategic product-relation visions setting and strategic decision making.
- Overseeing the development of new products and features.
- Curating and growing existing products.
- Generally delighting your customers (both internal and external).
- Guiding and developing a team of more junior product managers to support your team’s objectives.
- Paga has a distributed product development team with resources split between Lagos, Mexico City, London and Addis Ababa, so this role, comes with the expectation of very strong remote collaboration and self-management skills.
- There will be the possibility of occasional, but rare (twice a year at most) travel to some of the Paga office locations for training, team events, user-engagement and general market-empathy development.
At Paga, a product manager’s role is both strategic and tactical. To be an effective Senior Product Manager at Paga you must:
- Possess a blend of business and technical savvy; an ability to grasp and translate vision and strategy into concrete product design and deliverables.
- Be able to multi-task very effectively and be comfortable juggling multiple product-development streams at once
- Have strong customer/market empathy to drive a consumer-centric design ethos
- Be comfortable with rapid change and be willing to take ownership to deliver results in a high-pressure product development environment
- Have a passion for quality and an ability and willingness to grow the ability of others in your team to meet those standards
- As a distributed product development team member, communication and collaboration are key. You will need to be excellent at utilizing remote communication tools and applying clear communication and collaboration practices to effectively engage with your “customers”, team mates and other company stakeholders.
- Functional unit product ownership – Owning the product vision for a functional unit at Paga within the context of the overall product vision.
- Product development activities – Overseeing product-development activities (ideation, specification, design, development feedback, and post-deployment product curation) for specific products and features
- Market engagement – Engaging with end-users and marketing team to develop product strategy
- Training and team growth – Work with peer and junior product managers (and more generally – product development team at large) to grow individual product manager capabilities and improve the product development practice as a whole
- Product curation – Continuously improving existing product offerings through both qualitative and quantitative analysis of product performance and product/market fit.
- Partner Engagement – Working effectively with industry/ecosystem partners to accomplish product goals
- 4+ years of product management or similar product development experience
- Agile product development methodology experience
- Bachelor’s degree
- Must have completed the mandatory NYSC
- Strong strategic and critical thinking skills
- Excellent in team and cross-team collaboration skills
- Great verbal/written communication skills
- Highly observant with an attentiveness to detail
- Strong multi-tasking and self-management skills
- Curious, self-driven and empathetic