- Company: the African Union (AU)
- Location: Nigeria
- State: Nigeria
- Job type: Full-Time
- Job category: Administrative/Secretarial Jobs in Nigeria
The African Union (AU) is a continental body consisting of the 55 member states that make up the countries of the African Continent. It was officially launched in 2002 as a successor to the Organisation of African Unity (OAU, 1963-1999). We are an Integrated, Prosperous and Peaceful Africa, driven by its own citizens and representing a dynamic force in the global arena.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Transitional Justice Expert
Requisition ID: 501
Duty Station: Addis Ababa, Ethiopia (with frequent travel to South Sudan)
Organization: African Union Commission – AUC
Reports to: Project Coordinator – HCSS
Directorate: Office of the Legal counsel
Division: Hybrid Court for South Sudan (HCSS)
Number of Direct Reports: 0
Number of Indirect Reports: 0
Purpose of the Job
- Under the direct supervision of the Project Coordinator, the incumbent will be responsible in developing a transitional justice strategy to fulfil the vision and support the implementation of the Hybrid Court for South Sudan.
Under the overall supervision of the Legal Counsel and direct supervision of the Project Coordinator, the Transitional Justice Expert job level involves the following:
- Assist in the following up activities of the HCSS, including monitoring and evaluating progress made in line with a predefined strategic plan.
- Suggest new and expand on existing policy areas for planned research.
- Contribute in conducting analysis and generate accurate reports in a timely manner for the HCSS internal use.
- Assist in setting the overall research direction of a relevant policy area.
- Responsible for the delegation and execution of defined research areas.
- Participate in the organisation of relevant meetings, congresses and conferences with stakeholders.
- Engage with relevant mid-level stakeholders and develop working relationships.
- Support the promotion of the activities of the HCSS.
- Assist in drafting reports and participate in the preparation of budget and work programmes related to the functioning of the HCSS.
- Provide technical support to internal and external stakeholders.
- Under the direct supervision of the Project Coordinator, the Transitional Justice Expert will be responsible for the following duties:
- Assist in developing a transitional justice strategy for implementation of Chapter V (3) of the Agreement on Resolution of Conflicts in South Sudan.
- Advise on issues related to transitional justice process in line with the Revitalized Agreement in the Resolution of Conflicts in South Sudan;
- Assist in collection, analyze and preserve evidence, exhibits, documents, reports, and materials in conformity with international standard that may be used by the HCSS;
- Assist in setting up system and processes for collecting and preserving evidence in preparation for the formation of the hybrid court;
- Design a comprehensive strategic document on modalities of working with other elements of transitional arrangement of peacebuilding and reconciliation initiatives.
- Contribute to preparation of regular progress reporting, both narrative and financial of the project.
- Provide support to mainstreaming gender equality in the project implementation;
- Liaise with both national, regional and international stakeholders to collect evidence and investigative reports and documents to be used in cases before the court;
- Undertake any other relevant duties as assigned by the Legal Counsel and the Project Coordinator.
Academic Requirements and Relevant Experience
- University Bachelor Degree in Law, International Criminal Law from a recognized Institution with 5 years experience, as a prosecutor or practicing lawyer in the fields of international criminal justice, transitional justice, criminal or international law and working knowledge of national or international criminal law and procedure, international humanitarian law and public international law.
- Candidates with a Masters Degree in Law, International Criminal Law from a recognized Institution must have 2 years experience as a prosecutor or practicing lawyer in the fields of international criminal justice, transitional justice, criminal or international law and working knowledge of national or international criminal law and procedure, international humanitarian law and public international law.
- Experience working on research on transitional/access to justice issues;
- Knowledge of international Human Rights standards and principles and the ability in applying them to strategic and/or practical situations;
- Demonstrated ability to find creative and pragmatic solutions in a demanding, deadline driven environment and to establish and maintain effective, constructive working relationships with people from different national and cultural backgrounds;
- Very good knowledge of the African Union Transitional Justice Policy;
- Good understanding of the political, cultural and security situation of the Horn of Africa, in particular South Sudan;
- Working knowledge of other working language of the African Union will be an added advantage;
- Ability to work in a multi-cultural and ability to adapt moving from the duty station to the grass root level; and
- Ability to perform under hardship and strenuous environment.
- Demonstrate good interpersonal and communication skills, both written and oral.
- Change Management.
- Managing Risk.
- Teamwork and Collaboration.
- Accountability awareness and Compliance.
- Learning Orientation.
- Communicating with Influence.
- Analytical thinking and problem solving.
- Job Knowledge and information sharing.
- Drive for result.
- Continuous improvement focus.
Tenure of Appointment
- The Appointment will be made on a fixed term contract for a period of one (1) year, of which the first three (3) months will be considered as a probationary period. Thereafter, the contract may be renewed for a similar period subject to funding availability, satisfactory performance and agreed deliverables.
- The salary attached to the position is an annual lump-sum of US$ 85,212.07 (P2 Step 5) inclusive of all allowances for internationally recruited staff, and US$ 66,751.81 inclusive of all allowances for locally recruited staff of the African Union Commission.
Application Closing Date
9th July, 2021.