Applications are invited from suitably qualified candidates for the vacant position below:
Job Title: Lecturer I (CONNUAS 4)
- NOUN, unlike conventional universities, does not have lecture rooms where students gather for lectures at specified time for specified periods. Its principal academic feature is on development of learning materials which students receive at their various Study Centres in various formats (print, electronic, digital) that serve as lecture materials. Students also engage with course facilitators and counselors in these various centres to facilitate their learning.
- Lecturers in NOUN must therefore be well published nationally and internationally. Publications must be by recognised university press,recognised international publishers or recognised Research Centres, both national and international
- NOUN does not accept ‘Open Source’ publications or Predatory Junk.org publications that are online and will not count them as part of the publication output of potential candidates and neither does the university accept self-published nor self-printed books and articles. Candidates who cannot provide evidence of strong schorlastic output in their academic career will not be shortlisted and therefore need not apply.
The lecturing position will be in this area of specialisation:
- Pure and Applied Mathematics (with cognate years of experience and publications)
- Candidates should be holders of Ph.D Degree from a recognized University with at least three (3) years post doctoral teaching, research and administrative experience in a tertiary institution
- He/She must also have evidence of a minimum of eight (8) journal articles in both local and international reputable learned journals, plus registration with relevant professional bodies where applicable.
- Although NOUN encourages young post-doctoral and midcareer aspiring academics, only candidates with PhD degrees will be shortlisted for any of this position. NOUN reserves the right to demand additional qualities from a potential member of the community.
- NOUN will not appoint and promote at the same time, and will place candidates at a salary scale appropriate to their qualifications and experience.
- NOUN will not entertain any petition for upgrade of salary or adjustment in rank once a candidate has been appointed and acceptance letter submitted.
- All appointed staff are required to be physically and actively resident in the respective department either in Lagos, Kaduna or Abuja. NOUN does not have and will not provide staff housing.
- Further, all applicants are expected to be fully computer literate and comprehensively familiar with internet and online technologies of instruction, particularly as it pertains to Open and Distance Learning.
- Candidates who have reached retirement age or were retired from another service need not apply.
- In compliance with Federal Character Commission regulations, NOUN will consider employing applicants from the six Geopolitical Zones in Nigeria and reserves the right to ensure this balance in its shortlisting of potential employees.
The salary and other conditions of service are similar to what obtains in the Nigeria University System. Candidates will be offered position commensurate with their qualifications and experience.
Application Closing Date
26th March, 2019.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates are required to submit twenty (20) word processed copies of their Applications and Curriculum Vitae giving information in the following format:
- Full names with surname in Capital
- Functional Email and phone contacts
- Post desired and Department
- Date of Birth, Town and State of Origin, Geopolitical Zone
- Current Postal Address
- Permanent Home Address (with Telephone No.)
- Marital Status
- Names, Number and Ages of Children Name and Address of Spouse
- Name and Address of Next of Kin
- Institutions attended with dates
- Academic/Professional Qualifications with dates
- Work Experience from Date & Status of First Appointment
- Present Employment, status, salary and employer
- List of publications in details i.e Books, Journals, Contributions to Books, Papers presented at National/International Conferences. NOUN will not accept letters from editors indicating acceptance for as yet unpublished works. (If Applicable)
- Extra-curricular activities and any other relevant information
- Reports from three (3) referees should be independently sent to the Registrar, two (2) of the referees must be authorities in the candidates area of specialisation. Candidates whose Referees did not submit their report directly to the Registrar on or before 15th March, 2019 will not be shortlisted for the interview.
National Open University of Nigeria (NOUN),
91, Cadastral Zone, University Village,
Nnamdi Azikiwe Express Way,
Jabi, Abuja, Nigeria.
- The post applied for and Department are to be indicated at the top-left corner of the sealed envelope containing the application
- Only shortlisted candidates would be invited for interview.