Job For Safety & Security Manager at Voluntary Service Overseas
Voluntary Service Overseas (VSO) is the world’s leading international development organisation that works through volunteers to fight poverty. Working in 24 countries around the world, our unique role in international development is to place committed volunteers with carefully selected organisations where their skills can have the greatest impact. Our extraordinary volunteers live and work in some of the world’s poorest communities; sharing their unique skills and experience to generate new ideas and new ways of doing things, helping the communities they work in lift themselves out of poverty. We’re not about delivering quick fixes, but instead we focus on long-lasting, sustainable change, that will impact generations to come. Join us and help us work towards our vision of a world without poverty.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Safety & Security Manager
Location : Abuja (with frequent travel to project location or based on business needs)
Responsible to: Country Director
Contract type: Fixed Term
Full Time: 35 hours per week
Start date: 1st August, 2019
Purpose of Role
- The Safety & Security Manager Position will support the VSO Nigeria Country Program in identifying, analyzing, and mitigating safety and security risks in order to facilitate access for country level developmental and humanitarian programming in Nigeria and to ensure VSO operates within acceptable safety and security risk levels.
- To do this the post holder will work with the program and operations employee, volunteers, partners and consultants to ensure that these stakeholders are supported /oriented and comply with the existing safety and security protocols of VSO Nigeria.
Program Management, Technical Quality, and Strategy:
- Constantly visit the field Offices and conduct security trainings, workshops and socialization sessions to employee, volunteers and partners to embolden their understanding of VSO security management, and deal with the dynamic threats within their areas of operations including contingency planning.
- Enforce VSO Security protocols within the area of (programmatic, operations and geographic) jurisdiction and advice volunteers, Partners, and consultants accordingly.
- Constantly and immediately notify the Country Director or relevant parties of any breach to the procedures in the security and safety protocol as articulated by VSO safety and security protocol.
- Provide oversight in conducting and maintaining physical security risk assessment of VSO offices, project locations and partners’ office. Any areas of improvement to be reported to Country Director, and Global Security Team for immediate action.
- Work closely with the Head of Programs, People Manager, Operations Managers, and Partners to ensure that Security meetings and action points are duly recorded and updates submitted to the Country Director as required.
- Conduct security briefing and orientation to all newly hired employees and volunteers, newly engaged partners, employees or volunteers on mission outside the field office or international visitors using the standard VSO briefing format. He/she will ensure that an update briefing tracking sheet is maintained.
- Ensure that security alerts are initiated appropriately on time in line with the ever evolving security context across locations through the existing security communication channels.
- Responsible for ensuring that movements of persons engaged by VSO to any location on official assignment are well tracked and communicated.
- Provide guidance and oversight on how to undertake security risk assessments during field missions to programme areas and potential programme areas; report on findings and design necessary improvements.
- Supports the Global Security team, Country team in the identification and mitigation of potential security risks to staff, assets and operational/program security and validates mitigation measure within security risk assessments.
- Ensure that incident report forms are properly compiled by employee, volunteers and partners. The post holder will ensure that the incident tracking sheet is kept up to date.
- Monitor events, review incidents and coordinate analysis, follow-up actions and recommendations in close coordination with the SMT, and Program Managers.
- Provide security update, which includes situational analysis, actions taken and actions recommended, to the Senior Management Team on a regular and as per request basis.
- Submit written weekly and monthly security reports and trend analysis to the SMT and ensures that the security incident list is updated and shared with Country team.
- Collate, analyse and disseminate security information as approved or advised by the Global Security Team, the Country Director or SMT to VSO staff and ensuring the information remains accurate and neutral.
- Provide technical oversight to conduct security risk assessment of VSO program locations as the need arises using the standard Security Risk Analysis (SRA) & Security Level tool and to monitor the contextual trends prior to and continuously after deployment of VSO human resources.
- Contribute to the development or review of VSO security protocols and support as required in updating VSO’s safety and security plan and protocols.
- Work closely with partners, Head of Programs, Operations and people Managers to ensure that Safety and Security Standards within project field locations are maintained and implemented in line with assessment and security repots.
Program Management & Strategic Support:
- Implement the country security policies and facilitate the roll out of security safety and security protocols, and regular reporting on compliance
- Maintain open and professional relations with team members, promoting a strong team spirit and providing oversight and guidance to enable staff to successfully perform in their positions.
- Provide a measurable development plan including on the-job learning with the aim of strengthening personal technical capacity, exchanging knowledge within the team.
- Promote and monitor issues of duty of care and well being of employees and volunteers. Model healthy work-life balance practices. Support appropriate interventions in response to identified staff care needs of both national and international staff volunteers, national employees, visiting employees and consultants on mission.
- Adhere to and act in accordance with the VSO Global People Policies and Procedures.
Research, Learning & Reporting:
- Collate or research security information, articulate objective analysis from different established sources such as INSO, INSO and other independent sources, which can be used to make informed decision safety and security management plan
- Ensure timely reporting of security incidences and dissemination of security information to all staff, volunteers and partners.
- In Liaison with the People Manager ( and Global Security team, if required) provide lead for organizing regular security training and refresher training to enable VSO employees, volunteers and partners have a constant understanding of the context and existing safety security protocols.
Coordination & Representation:
- Participate in stakeholder’s meetings/forums or any other meeting as might be directed by the supervisor.
- Liaise with government, Military, Police, DSSS, Local Heads and other key external stakeholders to ensure that VSO staff can maintain regular and safe access to program areas.
- Other duties may be assigned by supervisor or based on business needs.
Key Performance Indicators
Share understanding and compliance with Safety & Security Protocols:
- Timely dissemination of security information
- Evidence of existing real time country level SRA and SLT.
- Partners trained and acknowledgement of VSO security protocols.
- Security protocol are well articulated and reflecting country strategic programming
- Data base of movement tracker
- Compliance with travel protocol
- Monthly catalogues on security update.
- Fluency in English (written and spoken).
- Knowledge of Hausa and the North East Nigeria is desirable
- Ability to travel within Nigeria.
- Bachelor’s Degree Security Management/Disaster Management/Military Science/International Relations /Public Administration or a field related to humanitarian work or risk management.
- Computer skills (including MS Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Access, and internet)
- Professional training and certification with recognized Security bodies will be considered.
- Experience of living and working internationally will be an added advantage.
- Competency in using and maintaining field-based communications systems (HF, VHF radios and Satellite phones).
- Ability to articulate and document a Security incident analysis and report writing skills.
- Good communication (verbal and writing) and interpersonal relationships development skills.
- Proven ability to be flexible and work well under pressure in fast-paced team environments and to be available 24/7 whenever a security incident occurs.
- Training and facilitation skill using different training media.
- Ability to develop Security Plans and protocols
- Strong interpersonal skills, including written, verbal and presentation skills used in international settings
- Strong administrative and organizational skills: ability to be self-directed and take initiative
- 3-5 years of relevant work experience in an INGO or UN set up operating in the Northeast or other hostile areas as a security focal person or in a similar role of security management
- Proven experience and demonstrable knowledge and experience in security management, advisory, analysis and capacity building role in an international organization setting.
- Knowledge of ability to design, develop and establish up Security Risk Assessment in INGO hostile environment.
- Previous service or work experience with the Nigerian Disciplined Forces will be a desired advantage. Certificate of discharge will be required as proof
- Managing People: Adds Value Requests and follows up on appropriate support from others; raises concerns about uncooperative colleagues in an appropriate way.
- Developing People: Aware Offers constructive advice to others and provides ongoing coaching throughout the proposal development process
- Leading for the Future: Adds Value: Builds confidence and excitement in VSO’s work and vision, both internally and externally; suggests innovative projects.
- Thinking Strategically: Adds Value Advances strategic projects
- Delivering Results: Strength Adopts a goal-oriented, problem-solving team mentality and ensures timely, high quality results.
- Working together: Strength Successfully initiates and leads awareness on safety and security issues and participates as a reliable and positive teammember in all working relationships
- Communicating & influencing: Adds Value Inspires others by advocating plans and ideas within and outside VSO;
- Managing Knowledge: Adds Value Leads initiatives that improve knowledge management; develops others’ knowledge and skills on security trends -real, perceived and potential
- Striving for excellence: Strength Contributes ideas to improve processes and approaches; is a role model for continuous learning and improvement.
- Managing Resources: Adds Value Organizes own and others’ work to meet objectives; clarifies accountability of roles; seeks ways to generate and save money.
Application Deadline 2nd June, 2019.
Interview Date 1st July, 2019