Director, Macroeconomics Policy, Forecasting and Research at the African Development Bank Group (AfDB)
African Development Bank Group (AfDB) - Established in 1964, the African Development Bank is the premier pan-African development institution, promoting economic growth and social progress across the continent. There are 80 member states, including 54 in Africa (Regional Member Countries). The Bank’s development agenda is delivering the financial and technical support for transformative projects that will significantly reduce poverty through inclusive and sustainable economic growth.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Director, Macroeconomics Policy, Forecasting and Research
Position Number: 50092394
Location: Abidjan, Cote d'Ivoire
Position Grade: EL5
- The core mandate of the Vice Presidency (ECVP) is to lead the Bank Group on prioritizing the generation, analysis, dissemination, brokering and implementation of relevant knowledge solutions in all High-5 operational priorities and the cross-cutting themes of its Ten-Year Strategy. Such solutions must be a clear response to priority development challenges facing regional member countries (RMCs), individually or collectively and need to involve RMCs in both the planning and implementation of the solutions.
The solutions include:
- (i) research on major development issues facing Africa and their relation to global economic governance and other major global public goods;
- (ii) country diagnostics and future perspectives;
- (iii) policy dialogue and advisory services;
- (iv) economic, sector, and thematic knowledge work;
- (v) improving national and sub-regional statistical systems;
- (vi) preparation, design and support to implementation of public financial management and Governance operations;
- (vii) capacity development for policy formulation and implementation; (viii) technical assistance and advice related to RMCs’ management of natural resources; and
- (vii) knowledge dissemination and development of national, regional, and inter-regional knowledge networks.
The Hiring Department
- The Macroeconomics Policy, Forecasting and Research Department is dedicated to the development and delivery of an effective and robust strategy for the production, brokerage and dissemination of high quality knowledge work on various economic development issues in Africa.
- The department provides technical support to the Bank’s operations in regional member countries (RMCs) through rigorous analytical work in the areas of its Ten-Year Strategy, and the High-5 operational priorities.
- Likewise, the department partners with various internal and external stakeholders to support or otherwise promote in impactful policy dialogue with decision-making bodies within and outside of the Bank.
- The activities of the department are structured around the Macroeconomic Policy, Debt Sustainability and Forecasting on one side, and the Microeconomics, Institutional and Development Impact on the other.
- The African Development Bank Group is currently going through an exciting period of strategic and structural fine-tuning, moving towards a more collaborative, cross-cutting way of working.
- As part of that change, the ECVP Complex is leading on the repositioning of the Bank Group as an innovative and dynamic organisation that works effectively as one.
- An important element of this will be to strengthen its public profile and policy impact, embedding a critical understanding of economics across all aspects of the Bank Group’s work, including in its research projects and policy advocacy, as well as its external engagement with decision-makers, opinion formers and other stakeholders.
- The Director of the Macroeconomics Policy, Forecasting and Research Department will contribute substantially to the Bank Group’s conceptualisation, design, implementation and quality assurance of all the Bank’s knowledge work. The successful candidate will be part of the senior leadership in the Complex and across the Bank, play a key role in developing the public profile of the institution’s work and lead outreach to a broad range of external stakeholders while also managing a dynamic team of professionals.
- The African Development Bank is looking for a person with a strong economics background, who is a clear, creative thinker with developed influencing skills, who can build relationships with and influence key players across academia, private and public sectors and civil society.
- Under the overall direction of the Vice President, the overall purpose of the role is:
- To help provide strategic vision, delivery and leadership on economic policy and research at the Bank Group, and to inform and shape its work with sound analysis and direction.
- To enhance and develop the Bank Group’s external knowledge profile, its influence and impact. This will be achieved through credible and persuasive communication of the institution’s strategic ambition to key audiences: RMCs, policymakers, opinion-formers, the media, as well as other stakeholders.
- To build up, lead, manage, mentor and coach a first-rate group of research economists, statisticians and policy analysts to strengthen the capacity of the Bank on country and regional policy dialogue.
- Under the supervision and guidance of the Chief Economist/ Vice President for Economics Research, Policy Dialogue and Knowledge Management, the Director will perform the following duties:
Work Program Validation and Execution:
- Review and validate the objectives and work program of the Department, ensuring alignment to the strategic priorities of the department, the Complex and the Bank.
- Monitor their execution and provide guidance as needed to the teams.
- Review and validate the budget, and its effective implementation.
- Report on the work program execution and propose alternative and corrective measures as needed.
- Actively contribute to the designing and monitoring of the corporate key performance indicators.
Technical Oversight on the Department’s Activities:
- Provide the Bank Group and member countries with economic intelligence on macroeconomic developments, projections of the most widely used economic and financial variables relating to Africa's economy and Bank Group operations.
- Analyze regional member countries’ economies with emphasis on the HI-5s, using cutting-edge techniques and assessing regional and continental development strategies with particular emphasis on debt-sustainability analysis and impact of major exogenous shocks on macroeconomic aggregates and living standards.
- Conduct or participate in special studies aimed at improving the strategies and programming of Bank Group operations.
- Develop appropriate analytical tools for the purpose of streamlining Bank Economic and Sector Work on critical areas, such as macroeconomic analysis and impact evaluation of development projects.
- Coordinate the preparation of the Bank Group's flagship reports.
- Supervise the processing of the Bank's major publications, including the African Development Report, the African Development Review, and the annual statistical publication.
- Prepare and process major statements, speeches and briefs for the President and Vice-Presidents, for the high-level meetings, conferences and visits to the regional member countries.
- Ensure the department has the appropriate skills-mix at any time for effective delivery of the objectives defined in the work program.
- Review and validate the staffing needs and build with the Human Resources department the required recruitment plans.
- Assess work performance, appraise staff potential and determine training needs.
- Put in place, with the assistance of the Human Resources department, talent management mechanisms, to build a talent pool for the department for business continuity.
- Organize effective delegation of responsibilities by empowering staff at all levels.
Relations with Stakeholders:
- Ensure effective collaboration with the other departments of the Complex.
- Work closely with operational departments to ensure relevance of knowledge and research work to the Bank’s operations and projects.
- Promote and maintain relations with institutions dealing with economic research and development policies, especially as relating to Africa.
- Serves as Acting Chief Economist/ Vice President for Economics Research, Policy Dialogue and Knowledge ManagementComplex, when required.
- Performs other duties assigned by the Chief Economist/Vice President.
Competencies (skills, experience and knowledge)
- Hold at least a Ph.D. Degree from a reputable University in Economics or other relevant discipline.
- At least 10-15 years of relevant experience, of which at least 5 years should have been exercised at senior management level. (Prior work in multilateral, bilateral or regional development agencies a plus).
- Capacity to connect, understand and influence stakeholders at all levels.
- Ability to handle the high-level demands of a complex organization, including the ability to work under pressure and meet tight deadlines.
- Impeccable oral and written communication skills in French or English, with a good working knowledge of the other language.
- Competence in the use of standard Office Suite applications (Word, Excel, Access, PowerPoint); knowledge of SAP is highly desirable.
- An excellent understanding of contemporary debates in economic policy, broadly understood, both in the Africa and elsewhere, informed by both orthodox and heterodox economic theory (a plus for one with academic links with other social sciences researchers on development issues);
- Strong capacity in macroeconomic and microeconomic research with a traceable record of publications in peer reviewed reputable journals in the same field or relevant subject.
- A proven track record of conceptualizing, implementing and managing policy-oriented macro- and/or micro-economics research, including ensuring quality of high-level research output and knowledge leverage, dissemination and outreach.
- Strong familiarity with the role of other development finance institutions in facilitating economic reform knowledge and addressing poverty reduction in developing countries.
- Strong technical and quantitative skills, and in particular, the use of statistical and econometric methods in the analysis of economic development issues and in relation.
- Strong planning and organizational skills, including a proven ability to think strategically, seeing the big picture without sacrificing the details, negotiation skills and team building skills, as well as a credible ability to influence and present ideas.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply
Application Deadline 5th June, 2022.
Note : This position is classified as international recruitment and attracts international terms and conditions of employment.