We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Chief Staff Integrity Investigation Officer, PIAC2
Location: Abidjan, Cote D'ivoire
Position N°: 50078447
- The President plans, supervises and manages the business of the Bank Group. Under the direction of the Boards of Directors, the President conducts the business of the Bank and the African Development Fund and manages operations and activities in accordance with the Agreements establishing the ADB and the ADF.
- The President supervises several Departments and Divisions including Office of the President; Independent Development Evaluation Department; Integrity and Anti-Corruption Department; Compliance Review and Mediation Department; Secretariat to the Sanctions Appeals Board; Administrative Tribunal; Office of the Auditor General; Group Risk Management Function Directorate; General Counsel and Legal Services Department; Communication and External Relations Department; Ethics Office and Office of the Secretary General & General Secretariat.
- The office of Integrity and Anti-Corruption plays an integral role in achieving this mandate by protecting the Bank’s corporate image and reputation, and improving the continent's investment climate through the deterrence, prevention and reduction of fraud, corruption, staff misconduct and other harmful practices within the Bank Group.
- The Investigations Division, has the overriding mandate to undertake unhindered investigations into allegations of corruption, fraud and other malpractices in Bank Group Financed Operations and conduct investigations into allegations of misconduct involving staff members of the Bank.
- The Chief Staff Integrity Investigation Officer shall conduct comprehensive investigations into allegations of misconduct committed by staff members of the Bank. Such misconduct shall not be related to fraud, corruption, coercion, collusion, obstructive practices or the offering receiving or soliciting of bribes, kickbacks or other personal benefits either in kind or otherwise in connection with Bank Group Financed or supported activities or any other Sanctionable Practice. At the end of such investigations, PIAC submits its report to the Human Resources Department and/or Senior Management which shall determine the appropriate action to be undertaken thereon.
- In undertaking investigations, the Chief Staff Integrity Investigation Officer shall maintain the highest standard of professional proficiency and integrity, and shall be guided by the ethos of confidentiality, fairness, equity and due diligence as well as ensuring that such investigations respect the precepts of due process and conform to the Bill of Rights and Obligations for Staff Members under Investigation for Misconduct.
- Operate procedures and mechanisms for ensuring confidentiality of the hotline facility, protection of the whistle-blowers and anonymous reporting of staff misconduct in the Bank;
- Receive, screen and investigate allegations or whistle-blowing on staff misconduct, assigned by the Division Manager PIAC.2;
- Employ surveillance measures deemed necessary and reasonable for the furtherance of investigations;
- Monitor and report regularly to the Manager PIAC.2 on the allegations received and screened and their investigation status and implementation of recommendations, as well as performance of any other tasks as instructed by the Manager;
- Monitor compliance with Bank Group’s policies, procedures and guidelines, relating to integrity and ethics and use of surveillance measuresfor the furtherance of investigations;
- Develop and manage the case management system, investigative tools, procedures, and mechanisms for staff misconduct investigations to enhance transparency and accountability;
- Participate in the preparation of work plans, progress reports, key performance indicators and annual reports for PIAC in consultation with PIAC.1;
- Monitor the implementation of investigation recommendations and report the status to the Division Manager PIAC.2;
- Contribute to Capacity Building & Awareness Raising in Staff Misconduct related matters;
- Recommend to Management for appropriate measures to be taken against Bank staff found to have engaged in misconduct and corrective measures where controls or existing procedures are found to be weak.
The key duties and responsibilities of the Chief Staff Integrity Investigation Officer are to:
- Conduct and lead Investigation Teams in investigations into allegations of misconduct involving staff members of the Bank which are not related to fraud, corruption, coercion, collusion obstructive practices, or the offering receiving or soliciting of bribes, kickbacks or other personal benefits either in kind or otherwise in connection with Bank Group Financed or supported activities or any other Sanctionable Practice;
- Review and analyze allegations and whistleblowing information to determine relevancy and reliability, conduct sensitive interviews and other investigative research activities;
- Analyse and prioritize new allegations and whistle-blower information and assist in controlling and tracking allegations, investigations and findings;
- Conduct data-mining and analysis of Bank Group’s databases and systems to support investigation activities;
- Develop appropriate processes and investigation tools including a case management system and ensure compliance with chain of custody procedures, maintain case records, archives, testimonies and evidence;
- Develop and update internal manual of investigation procedures which sets out how to investigate misconduct in the Bank;
- Plan investigations and determine investigation objectives, scope, criteria, methodology to be used as well as staff and budget resources required to accomplish the assignment;
- Make decisions that are ethically based, transparent and take into account due process;
- Supervise fieldwork, control evidence and data collection and review documents and information gathered in the course of an investigation to ensure that investigation objectives are achieved; evidence protected and adequately support the findings, conclusions and recommendations of the investigation;
- Assist in supervising outsourced investigation assignments and ensuring appropriate deadlines and processes for work products of the highest standards;
- Provide leadership to staff in a group investigation and assist in evaluating work-load, quality assurance as well as take responsibility for the outcomes of the team’s investigations;
- Provide statistical analyses of both on-going and completed investigations into staff misconduct cases and providing regular tracking to the Division Manager PIAC.2;
- Prepare Investigation Reports relating to investigative findings, discuss and defend the findings, conclusions and recommendations;
- Prepare, review and edit required written outputs of the highest quality with logical and clear presentations of investigative findings;
- Contribute in conjunction with the Division Managers in PIAC.1 and PIAC.2 to the prevention efforts in the Bank including staff awareness in staff misconduct related matters;
- Review the results of preliminary inquiries to determine availability of sufficient evidence of wrongful conduct or irregularity to warrant comprehensive investigation;
- Conduct specially sensitive and complex interviews and investigations;
- Prepare Management Implication Reports resulting from internal control weaknesses giving rise to the occurrence of an investigative event;
- Monitor the implementation of investigation recommendations to prevent reoccurrence of such irregularities and safeguard the assets and image of the Bank;
- Prepare Quarterly Activity Reports containing the status of allegations, preliminary reviews and assignment progress for the attention of the Manager PIAC.2;
- Participate in the preparation and representation of PIAC at Board hearings;
- Prepare the Division’s reports on misconduct and contribute to the preparation of the Work Program and Budget, and Annual Reports of the Department;
- Contribute to PIAC’s program development, policy and strategy formulation and updating;
- Liaise with sister institutions on information exchange and harmonization activities and collaborate in multilateral efforts to mitigate the risks of misconduct in Bank activities.
- Contribute to special initiatives/projects and undertake other ad hoc assignments upon request by the Manager or Director
- Hold at least a Master's Degree or equivalent in Law, Criminology, Forensic Auditing or related field.
- Professional Qualifications in staff misconduct examination would be an added advantage.
- Certification in fraud examinations and membership of professional organisations for workplace investigations are desirable.
- Minimum of 7 years of of extensive and progressive experience in investigative works, preferably investigations relating to professional misconduct in a corporate or governmental setting
- Experience in working and living in Africa.
- Substantial experience in investigative work, preferably investigations relating to professional misconduct in public or private sector, such experience may include extensive knowledge in business ethics and compliance, internal fraud and abuse and/or investigations into alleged professional unethical behaviors in a corporate or government setting.
- Excellent knowledge of international standards of Rights and Obligations of employees under administrative investigation for Misconduct.
- Excellent communication and presentation skills, both oral and written; proven ability to clearly and concisely prepare, present, discuss and defend issues, findings and recommendations at senior levels and to produce complex and compelling briefs, reports, papers, etc.
- Excellent interpersonal skills, including the ability to work effectively in a team/task force as participant or team leader and with senior officials internally and externally.
- Strong interviewing skills, including ability to focus discussions and to elicit critical information from uncooperative witnesses.
- Strong organizational and analytical ability with attention to detail.
- Ability to work independently and manage challenges.
- Integrity, good judgment, fairness and discretion in dealing with staff and external parties.
- Excellent problem solving skills.
- Strong client orientation.
- Effective Team work and relationship management.
- Ability to communicate effectively (written and oral) in English or French, preferably with a working knowledge of the other language.
- Competence in the use of the Bank standard software applications (Word, Excel. Power point).
5th October, 2019.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online
Note : This position does not attract international terms and conditions. the position holder will be recruited at the local level and will therefore not have international terms and conditions of employment.