African Development Bank Group (AfDB) is Recruiting
African Development Bank Group (AfDB) – Established in 1964, the African Development Bank is the premier pan-African development institution, promoting economic growth and social progress across the continent. There are 80 member states, including 54 in Africa (Regional Member Countries). The Bank’s development agenda is delivering the financial and technical support for transformative projects that will significantly reduce poverty through inclusive and sustainable economic growth.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Division Manager – Financial Management (for North, West and Central Regions), SNFI
Location: Abidjan, Côte d’Ivoire
Position N°: 50092385
- The Senior Vice-Presidency complex (SNVP) is responsible for supporting the President in the day-to-day management of the Bank Group to achieve its strategic objective, and drive performance culture that will align all processes and systems to deliver high impact results.
- The SNVP will provide effective leadership and exceptional coordination to ensure the implementation and monitoring of key corporate decisions as well as the identification of necessary corrective measures and actions. The SNVP leads senior management discussions, decision-making process and the implementation of keyboard and management decisions.
The Hiring Department:
- The SNFI department has four (4) divisions including two (2) for procurement and two (2) for financial management (FM) whose main activities are to provide support to operations complexes for ensuring that project’s fiduciary arrangements comply with Bank Fiduciary (Procurement and FM) policies and procedures and contribute to effective delivery and value for money in Bank-financed projects.
- The Financial Management Division is anchored at the Head-Quarters in the Fiduciary and Inspection Department (SNFI) under the Senior Vice-Presidency.
- The Division provides professional leadership in ensuring high-quality performance with respect to compliance with Bank financial management policies and procedures in lending operations; and in ensuring high-quality work in diagnostic work and country dialogue designed to support development of budgeting, accounting and reporting, internal control, treasury management and external auditing and overall financial management policies, systems and capacity of member countries.
- The Manager of the Financial Management Division for North, West and Center regions is anchored at the Head-Quarters and reports to the Director SNFI.
The key objectives of the position of the Division Manager – Financial Management will be:
- Execute the operations’ financial management functions for the Bank by ensuring quality and timely FM advice and provide support to projects activities, including: (i) quality of Financial Management (FM) activities in the region; (ii) timeliness of responses on all FM issues; (iii) quality of advice to both Bank operational sectors and Borrowers staff;
- Provide leadership assistance in building efficient and reliable financial management institutions in RMCs by providing support to countries’ FM capacity development projects and programs, this includes: (i) conducting country, sector and project level FM assessments and related capacity development action plans; (ii) providing FM-related support for country dialogue; (iii) supporting development of regional professional FM networks; (iv) participating in donors coordination meetings in their areas for promoting better coordination and effective resources mobilization;
- Contribute to capacity development of Borrowers’ FM staff, including; (i) coaching, (ii) mentoring, (iii) training and (iv) upgrading of the skills. Special attention will be given to soft skills e.g. behavior, attitude and responsiveness.
Duties and Responsibilities
Under the supervision of the Director – SNFI, the Financial Management Division Manager will perform the following duties:
- Provide leadership and insight on all aspects relating to financial management (FM);
- Set the division work program and budget including the performance objectives of staff and regularly providing feedback, coaching and performance evaluation thereof;
- Plan and prioritize FM work and communicate the same to Task Managers, Country Managers and the Regional Operations Manager-Implementation Support ;
- Ensure effective participation of FM staff in all project cycle activities in his/her regions, including CSP, preparation, appraisal, supervision and completion missions with a view to ensuring “Quality at Entry Work” and efficient delivery of the operations from financial management perspective ;
- Provide technical leadership to the financial management function through high quality performance with respect to compliance with Bank financial management policies and procedures in lending operations, including leading the fiduciary risk assessment exercises in the Bank’s financed operations at country and Entities levels to ensure that appropriate risk-mitigating measures are incorporated into project/program design;
- Lead initiatives to prepare Borrower’s public financial management (PFM) Assessment and dialoguing with Borrowers for endorsing and implementing the resulting action plan with a view to building sound PFM systems in RMCs;
- Provide technical guidance, in particular on high-risk and particularly complex FM issues, within the framework of the Bank’s policies and guidelines to Task teams, Country Financial Management Officers (CFMO) and Executing Agencies with respect to the financial management activities of projects and programs for the region;
- Contribute to the development of FM training strategy and materials for Bank Staff and Borrowers with a view to building financial management capacity for ensuring efficient and effective implementation of projects/programs financed by the Bank;
- Contribute to the preparation of FM performance reports from regions under his/her responsibility, and Annual Review Reports on the application of Bank’s FM policies in Bank Funded Operations;
- Pursue the Aid Effectiveness Agenda in supporting the Use of Country PFM Systems in Bank Funded Operations, and facilitating harmonization of Donor practices in his/her regions;
- Lead the FM aspects of new areas of business and providing relevant information on country generic and specific issues to sector and regional staff;
- Coordinate the participation of FM staff in donor coordination meetings within his/her regions, including representing the Bank in regional FM workshops and other relevant forums;
- Supervise, mentor, and coach FM staff in regions under his/her responsibility.
- Hold at least a Master’s degree or its equivalent in Accounting, Finance, Business Administration, Economics or a related discipline;
- Hold a Professional Accounting, External Auditing or Internal Auditing Certification/Degree (CPA, CA, ACCA, Expert Comptable, IIA…);
- Have a minimum of eight (08) years of relevant professional experience in designing, supporting and implementing financial management operations in a recognized MDB of which three (03) years in managerial or financial management coordination role;
- Sound knowledge of the African Development Bank’s FM Policy and Procedures or other multi-lateral development Banks’ FM Policy and Procedures or other similar International Financial Institutions
- Experience in an MDB, with emphasis on financial management;
- Experience in supporting private sector operations;
- Proven ability to implement country or sector level financial management analytical and capacity building initiatives;
- An understanding of cross-cutting issues beyond financial management (e.g. procurement, governance, donors’ practices) at sector/country level;
- Good knowledge of International Financial Reporting Standards, International Public Sector Accounting Standards, International Standards on Auditing, International Standards of Supreme Audit Institutions;
- Good knowledge of key aid effectiveness issues especially harmonization of donors’ practices and alignment to borrowers systems.
- Excellent analytical skills;
- Demonstrated intellectual leadership and ability to integrate sector-specific knowledge with broader operational strategy and policies and research objectives;
- Demonstrated ability to coach junior staff;
- Strong planning, organization, and time management skills;
- Innovation & Creativity;
- Client Orientation;
- Problem Solving;
- Team working and relationships;
- Operational Effectiveness;
- Ability to communicate effectively (written and oral) in French or English with an acceptable working knowledge of the other language;
- Competence in the use of standard MS Office applications (Word, Excel, Access, and Power Point) and preferably SAP.