The International Rescue Committee (IRC) responds to the world’s worst humanitarian crises and helps people to survive and rebuild their lives. Founded in 1933 at the request of Albert Einstein, the IRC offers lifesaving care and life-changing assistance to refugees forced to flee from war or disaster. At work today in over 40 countries and 22 U.S. cities, we restore safety, dignity and hope to millions who are uprooted and struggling to endure. The IRC leads the way from harm to home.
IRC has been present in Nigeria since 2012 when the organization responded to flooding in Kogi state. In early 2014, IRC opened a field office in Mubi town of Adamawa state in NE Nigeria followed by offices in Yola (Adamawa state) in November 2014, Maiduguri (Borno state) in October 2015 and Damaturu (Yobe state). The IRC Nigeria country program is implementing multi-sectoral interventions in the sectors of: Health and Nutrition; Environmental Health; Child Protection; Education; Women’s Protection and Empowerment; Economic Recovery and Development and Protection. Most of these programs are driven in partnership with strategic local NGOs.
We are recruiting to fill the position of:
Job Title: WPE ME Officer
Requisition ID: req13910
Location: Maiduguri, Borno
Employment Type: Full-Time
Sector: Women Protection & Empowerment
Employment Category: Fixed Term
Open to Expatriates: No
J ob Overview / Summary
- The purpose of the WPE M&E Officer position is to coordinate the collection, compilation, consolidation, and analysis of data to track programs/ projects activities, monitor progress and support impact measurement.
- S/he will also conduct development research, engage in reflective practice, and generate lessons from projects/program and prepare M&E plans for the Women Protection and Empowerment (WPE) sector.
- S/he is responsible for establishing and ensuring better field level data management systems for the core program s/he assigned to and coordinates the proper and timely evaluation of project objectives/impact.
- S/he will contribute to the existing client response mechanisms and ensure program staff participation in M&E activities.
- S/he will be based in Maiduguri with frequent travels to deep field for monitoring activities and assessments. The position holder will closely work with sector manager(s), front line staff, and community/facility volunteers.
- S/he also will work closely with the M&E unit on technical matters and reports to the M&E Manager and the Women Protection and Empowment manager(s).
Program/project design and learning (20% of time):
- Participate in program/ project design especially in developing WPE logframes and contribute learning from previous projects.
- Responsible for organizing WPE panel monitoring and/or similar M&E events to ensure accountability to the target community, with relevant stakeholders including communities and ensure their dissemination to concerned parties.
- With support from the M&E Manager, WPE manager(s) and coordinator, establish and maintain project level information management system.
- Contribute to designing WPE strategy to collect field level information required by IRC, donors and/or stakeholders.
- Responsible for proactively ensuring networking and sharing of lessons from the WPE core program with strategic partners and another stakeholder including government.
- Responsible for coordinating synergy and cross-learning among different projects.
- Responsible for cross fertilizing learning among projects by regularly producing (compiling) summary monitoring reports and sharing to WPE staff and partners.
- Responsible for the development and continuously update WPE project M&E, and impact measurement tools and systems on timely fashion.
- Support to develop and make sure all the projects in the WPE has tested monitoring tools that capture both program activity and indicators progresses.
- Take part in diagnostic studies, evaluations, and surveys.
- Responsible for organizing periodical ongoing WPE level data review, reflective practice, evaluation and progress monitoring events by involving communities and local partners.
Monitoring and Evaluation (50% of time):
- Responsible for tracking WPE progress against monitoring work plans.
- Coordinate the WPE field level community participatory monitoring and evaluation, reflective practice, and impact measurement.
- Responsible for ensuring the on-time execution of WPE projects major monitoring and evaluation events including but not limited to baseline survey, mid-term evaluation, final evaluation, data quality audit and field supervision.
- Actively participate in and contribute to M&E team activities, system assessments, development and implementation of new systems and/or tools aimed at strengthening overall M&E practices at IRC Nigeria.
- Responsible for closely working with WPE staff to ensure they follow correct procedures and criteria during beneficiary registration.
- Accountable for the recruitment of enumerators and support in other survey including engagement of consultants.
- Contribute to providing M&E inputs for WPE report written during project implementation.
- Responsible for periodically conducting WPE reflective practice forums at field office/ project level and compile lessons from project implementation processes.
- Responsible for providing technical support to WPE staff and partner organization on information management system, proper data collection and record keeping.
- Responsible for updating WPE M&E plan timely and provide feedback to program staff on status and quality of implementation.
- Responsible for WPE monthly and/or quarterly performance indicator analysis, including generation of reports as well as presentations for staff related to on-going performance.
- Responsible for conducting WPE regular data verification exercises to ensure reporting and collection of quality data.
- Responsible for verifying WPE entered data for completeness, correctness, and consistency and follow up on any data quality issues.
- Responsible for documenting findings from WPE data quality audits and store in project files to ensure collective and sustainable access.
Information Management and Reporting (10% of Time):
- Support in establishing and maintaining WPE project information management system.
- Responsible for submitting WPE data set to update country office wide program database on monthly basis.
- Support to ensuring all projects have downward/ forward client responsiveness mechanisms and works with project WPE staff to make sure its implementation.
- Responsible for compiling quarterly, biannual and annual tabular, and narrative WPE reports (as required by project stakeholders) on projects’ accomplishments by cost and alert the management for special deviations from the plan.
- Responsible for compiling WPE regular project monitoring report, including lessons learned, prepared by different projects and application of evaluation recommendations.
Capacity Building and Supervision (10% of time):
- Responsible for providing assistance to WPE local partners in designing monitoring and reporting tools and establishing database management systems.
- Responsible for the orientation of WPE front line staff, partners’ staff and volunteers on the monitoring tools and train them how to use data for decision making.
- Accountable for coaching, mentoring, and supervising assistant M&E Officer/s (if applicable),
- Responsible for her/his subordinate/s in completing performance management activities including performance planning, monitoring, and annual performance appraisals;
Perform other duties assigned by the supervisor (10% of time):
- Perform other task related assignment proposed by his/her supervisor/s.
Key Working Relationships:
- Position Reports to: M&E manager, WPE manager(s)
- Position directly supervised by: M&E and WPE manager
- Indirect Reporting: M&E coordinator, WPE coordinator, SAM/FC.
- Degree in statistics, computer science/information management/or any other related field.
- Excellent computer skills are required (particularly Advanced Microsoft Excel, Power bi and Word);
- At least two-year experience working in monitoring and evaluation preferred.
- Ability to communicate technical issues effectively.
- Familiarity with log frame analysis and M&E plan.
- Experience in conducting assessment.
- Strong data collection, analysis, and report writing skills required.
- Ability to work independently, think analytically and take initiative in solving problems.
- Protection/Women Protection and Empowerment background and Working with highly vulnerable and displaced people would be added advantage.
- Good verbal communication skills in local languages and working knowledge of English.
- Most importantly, commitment to IRC values and principles.
- A strong team player with excellent interpersonal skills and the ability to work with groups of diverse backgrounds.
- Fluency in English, local languages are an added advantage.
- The IRC and IRC workers must adhere to the values and principles outlined in IRC Way - Standards for Professional Conduct. These are Integrity, Service, and Accountability. In accordance with these values, the IRC operates and enforces policies on Beneficiary Protection from Exploitation and Abuse, Child Safeguarding, Anti Workplace Harassment, Fiscal Integrity, and Anti-Retaliation.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply
Note: Women are strongly encouraged to apply