Work at FHI 360
FHI 360 is a nonprofit human development organization dedicated to improving lives in lasting ways by advancing integrated, locally driven solutions. Our staff includes experts in health, education, nutrition, environment, economic development, civil society, gender, youth, research and technology – creating a unique mix of capabilities to address today’s interrelated development challenges. FHI 360 serves more than 70 countries and all U.S. states and territories.
We are currently seeking qualified candidates for the position below:
Job Title: Program Officer, Communications
Job type: Full time
Supervisor: SBCC Advisor
Program Duration: January 2020 to March 2021
- The Officer will support the implementation of behavior change strategy, including branding and market segmentation strategies, social media campaigns, and training materials, counselling tools, job aids, and media relations.
- The applicant should demonstrate good understanding of the Nigeria Media Landscape, effective writing and communication, and be social media savvy.
- The Nigeria A&T IYCF social and behavior change program focuses on improving rates of early initiation of breastfeeding, exclusive breastfeeding, timely introduction of complementary feeding, and minimum dietary diversity for infants over 6 months old.
- A&T works across the public, commercial/private, and NGO sectors to improve IYCF through A&T’s four components: advocacy, interpersonal communication and community mobilization, mass communication, and strategic use of data.
- At the national level, A&T works predominantly with its public, private/commercial, and NGO sector partners (Scaling Up Nutrition and other national IYCF initiatives) to improve the implementation, monitoring, and enforcement of key IYCF policies (Code of Marketing of Breastmilk Substitutes; maternity leave; work place support; breastfeeding-friendly health care and delivery facilities).
- A&T will also work in twelve states through identified national associations to apply the four components to reach households, communities, and facilities with targeted, age-appropriate social and behavior change communication (SBCC) messaging on IYCF practices.
- At both the national level and in the states, while the emphasis will be to build the capacity of the public sector to improve IYCF practices, the involvement and resources from the private and commercial sectors will be pursued to advance IYCF policies, expand the promotion of positive social norms, and extend timed and age-appropriate behavior change messaging through private and commercial facilities to households and communities.
Essential Job Functions
- Work closely with the Technical Advisors to implement A&T SBC and communications strategy. Implement A&T’s social media strategy, incorporating advocacy and mobilization plans that leverage social media outlets Maintain A&T online content to attract attention, generate interest, and share content with social networks. Establish relationships with bloggers and other members of the online community. Facilitate media buy, and negotiate for cost-efficient and budget-conscious advertising space, sponsorships, or product placements Work with SBCC Advisor to routinely update A&T’s website content Prepare detailed reports on events including workshops, seminars, conferences, study tours etc. as well as providing stories and photographs for A&T Bulletin. Develop monthly news items for A&T publications Perform any other duty as may be assigned.
Knowledge, Skills & Attributes:
- Knowledge of health and development programming in Nigeria. Knowledge and experience in project-level or state/national-level monitoring and evaluation system implementation Proven ability to support a multisectoral development project coordination Basic budget tracking or financial management skills Training and presentation skills Ability to work independently with initiative to manage high volume of workflow Cultural sensitivity and diplomacy Ability to work well with others and to develop and maintain compatibility among project staff, subcontractors, consultants and recipients of assistance. Ability to manage tight deadlines and deliver high volumes of work with minimal supervision. High degree of proficiency in written and spoken English communication. Well-developed computer skills. Ability to travel within Nigeria 25% time.
Qualification and Requirements
- BS / BA Degree in Public Health, Health Sciences, Behavioral Sciences or its recognized equivalent with 5-7 years of relevant experience with international development programs.
- MS/MA degree in public health, health sciences, behavioral sciences or its recognized equivalent with 3-5 years of relevant experience with international development programs.
The following is a summary of fringe benefits provided by FHI 360 to eligible employees:
- Comprehensive medical plans (PPOs)
- Dental insurance
- Vision coverage
- Group life and AD&D insurance
- Health savings account
- Long-term disability
- Medical and dependent care flexible spending accounts (FSAs)
- Dependent life insurance
- Business travel insurance
- Supplemental personal accident insurance
- Supplemental disability
- Life insurance
- Paid vacation, sick and parental leave
- 403 (b) retirement plan
- Pension plan.
Other Benefits (will vary depending on work location):
- Public transportation program
- On-site fitness center
- Local credit union membership
- Health and wellness program
- Employee assistance program
- Qualified tuition programs (529 plans)
- Bicycle subsidy
- Legal assistance plan
- Pet insurance.
Application Closing Date
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online
Note: The above job description summarizes the main duties of the job. It neither prescribes nor restricts the exact tasks that may be assigned to carry out these duties. This document should not be construed in any way to represent a contract of employment. Management reserves the right to review and revise this document at any time.