- Company: Norwegian Refugee Council (NRC)
- Location: Nigeria
- Job type: Full-Time
- Job category:
The Norwegian Refugee Council (NRC) is a non-governmental, humanitarian organization with 60 years of experience in helping to create a safer and more dignified life for refugees and internally displaced people. NRC advocates for the rights of displaced populations and offers assistance within the shelter, emergency food security, and water, sanitation and hygiene sectors.
The Norwegian Refugee Council has approximately 5000 committed and competent employees involved in projects across four continents. In addition, NRC runs one of the world’s largest standby rosters, NORCAP, with 650 professionals, ready to be deployed on 72 hours’ notice when a crisis occurs.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: WaSH Technical Assistant (Sanitation)
Webcruiter ID: 4152084504
Location: Mubi, Adamawa
Job type: Full-time
Employment type: Contract
Percentage of full-time: 100
Commencement: January 2020
Duration: 8 months
Reports to: The WaSH Technical Assistant reports to the WaSH Officer.
- NRC is looking for a WaSH Technical Assistant (Sanitation) for our field office in Mubi, Adamawa State in North-East Nigeria. The purpose of the WaSH Technical Assistant (Sanitation) is to ensure the Implementation and impact of WaSH program activities in Mubi, Adamawa State
- NRC initiated country operations in Nigeria in June 2015, in order to respond to the critical and increasing needs in the country. NRC currently has a full team based in Maiduguri and a coordination office in Abuja. NRC is currently providing services across various sectors namely; Shelter and Non-Food Items (NFI); Water, Sanitation and Hygiene Promotion (WASH); Food Security; and Information, Counselling and Legal Assistance (ICLA), Education in order to address identified humanitarian needs.
Duties and Responsibilities
- To assist WASH Team Leader in the coordination of the WASH Technical activities according to strategy, proposals, budgets, and plans
- To assist the WASH Team Leader in all aspects of WASH Technical programs planning, implementation, monitoring, and evaluation
- To assist the WASH Team Leader in the identification of community sanitation needs, including conducting needs assessments and contribution to technical solutions for sanitation
- To develop technical specifications and bills of quantities (BOQ) for all the sanitation activities and supervise Masons and Carpenters in charge of latrine and bathing shelters construction
- To assess the water and sanitation training needs of the community and assists in the development of appropriate training materials and plans.
- Provides technical assistance to the WASH Team Leader and local counterparts on issues of sanitation and solid waste management and communication strategies
- Assists in the establishment, and training of community-based Sanitation committees as well as monitoring their performance
- Assists in the compilation of weekly and monthly WASH Technical reports, program documents, project proposals, and budgets
- Involve and inform communities and community leaders about the activities as part of the community mobilization process
- Assist the WASH Team Leader in Breaking down the annual operational plans into weekly, monthly and quarterly implementation plans.
- B.Sc or Higher Diploma in Health-Related field
- Minimum 3 years’ experience from working with WASH Technical projects in a humanitarian/recovery context. Experience from working with social work and/or with distribution of humanitarian assistance is an advantage.
- Previous 2-3 years of work experience in community-based water, Sanitation programs; Work experience with an NGO is desirable
- Must have knowledge of emergency Water supply, Hygiene, Sanitation requirements, and protocols
- Familiarity with international minimum standards of Hygiene, Sanitation, and shelter service delivery (i.e., SPHERE) is an advantage
- Handling an insecure environment
- Planning and delivering results
- Empowering and building trust
- Communicating with impact and respect
- Ability to work under pressure, independently and with limited supervision.
- Highest standards of ethics and integrity
- Communicating with impact and respect All employees of the Norwegian Refugee Council should be able to adhere to our Codes of Conduct and the four organizational values: Dedicated, innovative, inclusive and accountable.
We Can Offer
- Salary/benefits: According to NRC’s general directions.
- Duty station: Mubi, with frequent travels. Travel outside Mubi is dependent on changing security conditions, especially for certain roads in the area.
Application Closing Date
14th November, 2019.
How to Apply
- Nigerian Nationals Only
- An approved health certificate will be requested before the contract start.
- Application procedures and CV registration: Please note that you are required to enter the geographical location for all your previous positions while registering your CV. There is no specific field for this information in our CV form, but you can use the "Company name" field for both company and location.