Save the Children is the leading independent organization for children in need, with programs in over 120 countries. We save children’s lives. We fight for their rights. We help them fulfil their potential. Save the Children is working in Nigeria because one in five children in Nigeria dies before their fifth birthday. About 40% of children miss out on school and have to work to survive while nearly 2 million children have lost one or both parents to an AIDS-related disease.
We are recruiting to fill the position of:
Job Title: WASH Coordinator
Requisition ID: 2200007M
Location: Ogoja, Cross River
Employee Status: Fixed Term
Reports to: WASH Manager
The WASH Coordinator, is overall responsible for an effective implementation of all WASH activities at refugee settlement, community, school and health facilities in coordination with stake holders in Cross River and Benue States.
Key Areas Of Accountability
Technical and Management:
- Lead on WASH technical assessments in coordination with other Save the Children thematic areas and/or other external sector agencies, ensuring assessment findings are documented and that all assessments include a specific analysis of children’s needs.
- Provide inputs to the development of concept notes, proposals, WASH strategy, details implementation plans and master budgets;
- Identify priorities and technically assist on assessments, designing and overseeing KAP and other surveys
- Identify key gaps in WASH facilities and minimum standards in the WASH interventions by providing technical checking of WASH engineering and hygiene promotion aspects of the programme and proactively promote high quality WASH technical approaches for the response;
- Design and run water supply, sanitation and hygiene interventions as per national and SPHERE standards etc.
- Prepare and oversee WASH programme implementation to ensure timely delivery of programme activities.
- Develop program management/implementation tools for WASH programs in communities, schools and health facilities.
- Working closely with the HR team, identify staffing needs (national) for WASH officers, and ensure timely recruitment and induction of new staff.
- Work closely with the Logistics and Finance teams, to identify WASH programme supplies needs and coordinate to put in place a sensible phased procurement plan, budget and supply chain
- Coordinate with other partners and other relevant authorities and administration to ensure coordinated implementation;
- Participate in WASH Sector Coordination meetings, sharing information from Save the Children programmes
- Coordinate with other sectors (Nutrition, Child Protection, Education, Food security and Livelihoods etc.) to ensure integration in program
- Work closely with the MEAL (Monitoring, Evaluation, Accountability and Learning) team put in place a sector MEAL plan, ensuring this links to reporting requirements, and capacity build technical field staff in carrying out the work.
- Identify learning needs of WASH team and mentor team
- Develop capacity building plan for WASH team and implement it in coordination with HR and line manager.
- Maintain growth of team through appropriate measures e.g. create learning and sharing environment, on-the job training
- Coordinate with community mobilization team and other sectors for capacity building of community-based organization/groups and volunteers involved in WASH program.
Representation & Advocacy & Organizational Learning:
- Take steps to document lessons learned, from WASH programmes, for wider dissemination.
- In collaboration with senior programme staff, assist in advocacy activities that target decision-makers at all levels.
- Attend relevant meetings and represent SCI.
Comply with Save the Children policies and practice with respect to child protection, code of conduct, health and safety, equal opportunities and other relevant policies and procedures.
Any other tasks assigned by line manager to achieve the objectives of position.
Qualifications and Experience
- Education on Sanitary Engineering, Public Health / Civil Engineering, or a related subject
- At least 5 years of working experience with 2 years in humanitarian context
- Progressive management/coordination experience of working in an emergency and long-term WASH program;
- Knowledge of monitoring and evaluation
- Ability to write clear and well-argued assessment and project reports
- Excellent communication skills and good knowledge of English
- Politically and culturally sensitive with qualities of patience, tact, and diplomacy
- The capacity and willingness to be flexible and accommodating in challenging and dynamic working circumstances.
- Knowledge of Save the Children systems and ways of working
- Experience of USAID/OFDA, ECHO, EU, UNHCR funded project.
- Skills and Behaviours (Our Values in Practice)
- Holds self-accountable for making decisions, managing resources efficiently, achieving and role modelling Save the Children values
- Holds the team and partners accountable to deliver on their responsibilities - giving them the freedom to deliver in the best way they see fit, providing the necessary development to improve performance and applying appropriate consequences when results are not achieved.
Sets ambitious and challenging goals for themselves (and their team), takes responsibility for their own personal development and encourages others to do the same
Widely shares their personal vision for Save the Children, engages and motivates others
Future orientated, thinks strategically.
Builds and maintains effective relationships, with their team, colleagues, members and external partners and supporters
Values diversity, sees it as a source of competitive strength
Approachable, good listener, easy to talk to.
- Develops and encourages new and innovative solutions
- Willing to take disciplined risks.
Honest, encourages openness and transparency.
Application Closing Date
16th January, 2022.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should: