Technical Program Officer, HeRON at International Rescue Committee
The International Rescue Committee (IRC) responds to the world’s worst humanitarian crises and helps people to survive and rebuild their lives. Founded in 1933 at the request of Albert Einstein, the IRC offers lifesaving care and life-changing assistance to refugees forced to flee from war or disaster. At work today in over 40 countries and 22 U.S. cities, we restore safety, dignity and hope to millions who are uprooted and struggling to endure. The IRC leads the way from harm to home.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Technical Program Officer, HeRON
Requisition ID: req27178
Location: Damaturu, Yobe, Nigeria
Employment Category: Regular
Employment Type: Full-Time
Open to Expatriates: No
Job Overview / Summary
HeRON Project Overview:
- FCDO/USAID Health Resilience of Northeast Nigeria (HeRON) Service delivery project in Borno and Yobe states supports delivery of quality integrated primary healthcare, reproductive, maternal, newborn and child health services, to improve evidence-based decision making, accountability at all levels of service delivery.
- IRC leads a consortium of humanitarian and development implementing partners (Action Against Hunger – ACF, Society for Family Health Nigeria).
- The Project team is working work alongside states and local government authorities, strengthening their capacity to effectively deliver quality integrated primary healthcare, reproductive, maternal, and newborn and child health and nutrition services.
Scope of Work
- The HeRoN Program Officer will report to the HeRoN Consortium Senior Manager.
- S/he will be responsible for working with partners to ensure implementation of health system strengthening approaches and initiatives is in line with the States Strategic health plans and Health Sector priorities.
- Maintain collaborative working relationships established among key government officials, The position requires experience with government health care system, Experience of working in partnership with or directly with the Ministry of Health, Ability to plan and collaborate with implementing partners/States &LGAs, and an Ability to manage a wide range of stakeholders for collaboration, coordination, and consultation.
- S/he will work collaboratively with Program field staffs from Consortium partner organizations (SFH & ACF) and Capacity building officers within IRC
Program Management, Technical Quality, and Strategy:
- Provide support to the consortium partners to ensure that Health System strengthening initiatives are implemented according to the approved project work plans and in accordance with donor requirements.
- Support the Consortium team by contributing in the development of activity plans, reports, and other relevant documents.
- Follow-up and track action plans from stakeholder meetings (Produce and archive meeting minutes and reports)
- Support field assessments activities, and dissemination meetings as required
- Support partners Jointly under the guidance of the health governance manager for the enhancement of implementation of organizational capacity action plans at the PHCC level.
- Support the local government in collaboration with HeRoN partners to develop action plans to address identified capacity gaps at the local level to strengthen management, as well as delivery of quality health services with the focus on inclusive health planning and budgeting to ensure implementation of health plans
- Provide technical support in collaboration with the HeRoN Partners to the LGAs for the roll-out, and improved management and delivery of the Basic Health Care Services package at local level and at the point of delivery (facilities)
- Assist the Senior HeRON Manager in following up with the stakeholders to ensure track of Engagement and Sustainability plans
- Support in all logistical preparations for project activities, working in close collaboration with IRC Supply Chain and Finance teams.
- Perform any other technical tasks as deemed fit by the line manager
Coordination & Representation:
- Participate in technical Coordination meetings at the LGA and the State levels, as required.
- Facilitate the planning processes at LGA levels, to ensure an inclusive approach that engages stakeholders and communities to reflect health needs in the local context
- Jointly planning with stakeholders and organizing community-level and facility-level meetings
- Participate at program coordination meetings with consortium and implementing partners.
Key Working Relationships
Position Reports to:
- Line Manager: Consortium Senior Manager (Maiduguri) / HeRON Coordination Manager (Damaturu)
- Indirect/Technical Reporting: Health Governance Manager
- Position directly Supervises: N/A
- Key Internal Contacts: HeRON M&E, HeRON Pharmacy Manager, HeRON Deputy Team Leader, Supply Chain, Consortium Finance.
Key External Contacts:
- HeRON Implementing partners (Program Staffs)
- Ministry of Health, HeRON Technical Staff seconded to MoH, Joint HeRON/MoH Sustainability Task Force Chairperson, Health Facility staffs, Community Leaders and Members
- Graduate Health professional (Nurse, Clinical or Medical Officer), or any other relevant health related field with public health/system strengthening and Governance background.
- Post-graduate training in public health, added advantage.
- Minimum of 3 years of professional experience, of which 1 - 2 years in health system strengthening, or in humanitarian/development settings
- Experience in local governance, social accountability, public administration, institutional development, public-sector capacity building or related technical areas highly desirable.
- Knowledge and understanding of governance in service delivery, particularly in health, highly recommended
- Previous work experience with INGO, especially with project planning and reports writing, is an added advantage
- Have experience in general management (including financial and budget management, logistics management, etc.)
- Familiarity/ knowledge of operational contexts (Borno/ or Yobe States)
Demonstrated Technical Skills:
- Background in situation analysis, Health System strengthening, health assessments M&E and program implementation.
Demonstrated Managerial/Leadership Competencies:
- Flexible, diplomatic and have ability and willingness live and work under pressure of workloads
- A mature person of high professional discipline and moral integrity, proactive and able to work under stress as the situation may dictate.
Computer/Other Tech Requirements:
- Full professional competency in Microsoft Office Suite, especially Word, Excel, Outlook, and PowerPoint.
- Ability to Travel: 30 % of time
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply