We are currently seeking qualified candidates for the position below:
Job Title: Technical Officer, Media & Communications
Location : Maiduguri, Borno
Job Type: Full time
Supervisor: Communications & Reporting Coordinator
- Northeast Nigeria is currently facing a growing humanitarian crisis with a vast number of Internally Displaced Persons in need of emergency assistance. These IDPs are living among host communities, lacking access to livelihoods and resources, ultimately leading to unprecedented levels of malnutrition and food insecurity. FHI 360 has been working in Nigeria for over 30 years and is now expanding activities in Borno state to respond to the IDP crisis.
- FHI 360 is expanding its expertise by responding to this humanitarian crisis through integrated WASH, Health, Nutrition and Protection interventions
- The Technical Officer-Media and Communications will work closely with the Communications & Reporting Coordinator in the creation and delivery of memorandums, organizational materials and announcements, donor and external success stories, events and other deliverables pertaining to organizational communications.
- Focuses on developing and delivering clear, concise and coordinated organizational messaging across multiple communications vehicles and on fostering opportunities for dialogue between staff and leadership.
- Works with Communications & Reporting Coordinator in researching and writing a broad range of communications that promote the activities of the organization such as success stories, press releases, photo journals, videos and donor presentations.
- Provides publicity and promotional support for special events and community outreach activities.
- Works with Communications & Reporting Coordinator to develop and implement communications and public relations strategies to promote and publicize a variety of humanitarian projects, services and programs.
- Prepares a variety of promotional and informational materials including articles, blog posts, bulletins, pamphlets, video and other related media material.
- Provides photography support for all reports and communications materials.
- Lay out Hausa and Kanuri versions of program publications and IEC materials.
- Work collaboratively with the in-house originators of the work ensuring that all designs are appropriate for the publication.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- BS/BA in Journalism and/or graphic design-related field with 5 – 7 years of relevant experience in design work in print and electronic settings.
- Or MS/MA degree in graphic design-related field with 3 – 5 years relevant experience in design work in print and electronic settings.
- Skilled in word processing and graphic design software packages, preferably MAC-based software, such as Adobe Web/Design Collection, Final Cut Pro, Maya 3D
- Demonstrated success in multicultural environments is required.
- Prior experience in a non-governmental organization (NGO) is required.
- Familiarity with Nigerian public health sector systems and NGOs and CBOs is desired.
- A sound understanding of humanitarian assistance programming is required.
- Knowledge of principles, theories and methods of communications, public relations, and journalism.
- Strong understanding of FHI 360 and donor IEC and branding policies.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Excellent video and photography skills.
- Ability to write, edit, and develop all facets of a publication.
- Ability to work well with others and to develop and maintain compatibility among project staff and recipients of assistance.
- Ability to regularly travel to field sites to document program activities.
- Ability to write effectively for the appropriate audience.
- Well-developed computer skills.
- With minimal supervision, manage high volume of workflow.
- Sensitivity to cultural differences and understanding of the political and ethical issues related to emergency response programs.
- Relevant local language skills are preferred.
- Experience working with external print vendors is preferred.
- Skilled in word processing and graphic design software packages, preferably PC-based software, such as Quark, Quark Express, Page Maker, and Microsoft Publisher desirable.
The following is a summary of fringe benefits provided by FHI 360 to eligible employees:
- Comprehensive medical plans (PPOs)
- Dental insurance
- Vision coverage
- Group life and AD&D insurance
- Health savings account
- Long-term disability
- Medical and dependent care flexible spending accounts (FSAs)
- Dependent life insurance
- Business travel insurance
- Supplemental personal accident insurance
- Supplemental disability
- Life insurance
- Paid vacation, sick and parental leave
- 403(b) retirement plan
- Pension plan
- Public transportation program
- On-site fitness center
- Local credit union membership
- Health and wellness program
- Employee assistance program
- Qualified tuition programs (529 plans)
- Bicycle subsidy
- Legal assistance plan
- Pet insurance.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online
Note: The above job description summarizes the main duties of the job. It neither prescribes nor restricts the exact tasks that may be assigned to carry out these duties. This document should not be construed in any way to represent a contract of employment. Management reserves the right to review and revise this document at any time.