Maryland Global Initiatives Corporation (MGIC) is a non-profit affiliate of UMB with a mission to administratively support international operations of UMB Principal Investigators. Our purpose is to provide the administrative infrastructure for sizable and sustained operations outside of the U.S. Currently, MGIC operates in Kenya, Nigeria, Rwanda, Tanzania, and Zambia, with registration application in-process in Haiti. These operations support the research and clinical programs of the SOM, Institute of Human Virology.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Technical Content Developer
: Abuja (FCT)
Employment Type: Full-time
Duties and Responsibilities
- Create industry class documentation that cares about both developer and user’s experience
- Analyze documentation needs and make recommendations regarding documentation priorities
- Communicate highly complex technical concepts clearly and concisely
- Coach engineers to improve their writing
- Review, test, and edit content submitted by non-writer contributors
- Take ownership and responsibility for your results and finish what you start
- Offer creative ideas and encourage others to share theirs.
- Collaborate with the government and other stakeholders on e- initiatives by attending TWG meetings, and implementation all activities designed by the government
- Attend designated meetings in relation to cross-cutting issues at different levels e.g. within the organization (Team lead meetings, general staff meetings), outside (GON, various Partners meetings).
- Maintain reports and documentation that are consistent with the task at hand and available to all concerned parties via emails or standard archiving options
- Connects easily with supervisees and colleagues at all levels in a professional manner.
- Generate solutions or approaches to the most demanding problems within the team
- Establish workable, prioritized, and highly effective problem-solving plans for each problem.
Mode of evaluation:
- Biannual updated SOP for team
- Reports of representation attended (meetings, TWGs)
- Responses via email to supervisees, colleagues & management on key issues
- Documentation of innovative new ideas or problem-solving initiative
- Employee assessment of supervisor
Team Coordination and Supervision:
- Provide appropriate mentoring and support to each supervisee addressing their individual assigned task – (one on one physical visits, monthly meetings, and documentation communication to each / all supervisees)
- Give supervisees the information, technology and reference materials necessary to perform their jobs
- Assign task to supervisees to build their capacity and demonstrate their skills in the task in:
- Site support: Each supervisee should have a copy of what sites have been assigned to them with a detailed SOW
- Developments: specific roles of each staff who be documented and communicate to the staff for each development activity
- Desk activities: Each supervisee should be made aware of the sites that they are responsible for reporting. Feedback on reporting rates and quality of data entered should be shared and discussed with supervisee routinely
- Conduct annual performance development plan and appraisal for each supervisee.
- Recommend performance awards and / or merit increases when appropriate. As merit increases and award programs are implemented, supervisors will be required to provide evaluations that demonstrate the performance of eligible supervisees
- Sign monthly timesheets and approve requests for time off. Your signature on a time record means you concur with the hours worked as recorded by your supervisee, including time taken off that may result in the supervisees inability to complete the required task
- Identify and support supervisees to complete at least 1 capacity building activity within the year relevant to the project
- Help supervisees address and resolve a wide variety of concerns and complaints. These typically involve job duties and job descriptions, performance standards, and relations with coworkers.
- Bachelor's degree in Computer Science, Electrical Engineering, Computer Engineering or similar technical discipline; or, equivalent demonstrable experience.
- Fluency in English (speaking, reading, and writing).
- Two (2) plus years Technical writing experience
- Exceptional Writing skills in English
- Exceptional Communications skills in English.
- Experience developing and routinely update all processes, standard operating procedures and documents for software management for the organization
- Experience in technical writing including planning, researching and editing documents in the software industry as well as defining the overall structure of the documentation set
- Experience in review and triage of incoming suggestions, corrections, and other content
Skills and Abilities:
- Ability to convey technical information in a clear and concise manner appropriately for a variety of audiences
- Ability to maintain and support software solutions post-production
- Ability to participate in reviews and revamps of section or page content and structure
- Strong editorial eye and attention to detail.
- Ability to multi-task, Analytical skills, Ability to follow verbal or written instructions, Thinking analytically, Communication, Using effective verbal communication, Using effective written communication, Handling stress & emotions, Concentrating on tasks, Making decisions, Adjusting to change, Examining/observing details, Sitting for long periods at a time
Interpersonal and Individual Competencies:
- Ability to work with other team members, flexibility, decisiveness and personal integrity
- All your information will be kept confidential according to EEO guidelines.
Application Closing Date
7th April, 2021.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online