Swiss Government Excellence Scholarships 2023/2024 for Foreign Students and Artists to study in Switzerland (Fully Funded)
Each year the Swiss Confederation awards Government Excellence Scholarships to promote international exchange and research cooperation between Switzerland and over 180 other countries. Recipients are selected by the awarding body, the Federal Commission for Scholarships for Foreign Students (FCS).
The Swiss Government Excellence Scholarships are aimed at young researchers from abroad who have completed a master’s degree or PhD and at foreign artists holding a bachelor’s degree.
Types of scholarship
is available to post-graduate researchers in any discipline (who hold a master’s degree as a minimum) who are planning to come to Switzerland to pursue research or further studies at doctoral or post-doctoral level (
Research scholarships are awarded for research or study at all Swiss cantonal universities, universities of applied sciences and the two federal institutes of technology, as well as the four research institutes. Only candidates nominated by an academic mentor at one of these higher education institutions will be considered.
are open to art students wishing to pursue an initial master’s degree in Switzerland (
Art scholarships are awarded for study at any Swiss conservatory or university of the arts. This scholarship is available to students from a limited number of countries only.
Candidates for the University Scholarships must:
- Hold a university degree (Bachelors/Masters) on commencement of the scholarship.
- Be able to demonstrate their academic abilities and what they aim to achieve.
- Contact the institution and/or the professor supervising their period of research. Universities may request supplementary information and/or set certain additional conditions to determine whether or not you qualify for admission.
- Be under the age of 35 (born on or after 1 January 1978).
- Be suitably proficient in the language of instruction (French, German, Italian, or English) in order to draw full benefit from their studies in Switzerland.
- The scholarship covers a monthly payment, exemption of tuition fees, health insurance, airfare, special lodging allowance, etc.
Applications are subject to preliminary selection by the relevant national authorities and/or the Swiss diplomatic representation. The short-listed applications are then assessed by the Federal Commission for Scholarships for Foreign Students (FCS), which takes the final decision.
The FCS assesses scholarship applications according to three criteria:
- Candidate profile
- Quality of the research project or artistic work
- Synergies and potential for future research cooperation
The FCS is composed of professors from all Swiss public universities. Scholarship awards are decided on the basis of academic and scientific excellence.
The FCS will select scholarship holders for the 2023-24 academic year by the end of May 2023. Scholarships for the 2024-25 academic year will be advertised online from August 2023.
How to apply
- Select the continent with your country of origin (this is the country according your passport) for receiving further information and the application documents.
- Check the application deadline and the different types of scholarship on offer. These vary according to country. You will also find details where you can get answers to your questions.
For More Information: