The United Nations Office for Project Services (UNOPS) is an operational arm of the United Nations, supporting the successful implementation of its partners' peacebuilding, humanitarian and development projects around the world. Mandated as a central resource of the United Nations, UNOPS provides sustainable project management, procurement and infrastructure services to a wide range of governments, donors and United Nations organizations.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Support Services Senior Associate
Vacancy Code: VA/2021/B5316/21116
Location: Maiduguri, Borno
Job categories: Administration, Project Management
Department/office: AFR, GHMCO, Nigeria
Contract type: Local ICA Specialist
Contract level: LICA -7
Background Information – Ghana Multi Country Office (GMCO)
- UNOPS Ghana Multi Country Office (GMCO), located in Accra, spans across West Africa, covering Ghana, Gambia,Liberia, Nigeria and Sierra Leone.
- GMCO is responsible for managing strategic and operational risks associated with a subset of the regional
- portfolio of engagements, developing and ? delivering? cost effective services contributing to partners’ sustainable results and achievements of UNOPS management results.
The core functions of the Operational Hub are to:
- Liaise and develop engagements, and deliver services responding to partner needs.
- Leverage advice and integrate delivery modalities of the three Delivery Practices and the Global Partner Service Office.
- Maintain appropriate arrangements and capacity for direct transactional support for delivery of the sub-regional portfolio.
Background Information – Country Specific
The Nigeria Duty Stations are managed by the Nigeria Country Office based in Abuja, Nigeria.
- Nigeria is considered a key player in the West African region, with an estimated population of 200 million and accounts for about 47% of the total population of West Africa. Nigeria is considered a High Priority Country for UNOPS GMCO; being a fragile country with a complex development profile and possessing a high risk of humanitarian emergencies and disasters. Likewise with high donor interest and demand for implementation support, Nigeria is viewed as a country in which UNOPS can add value and scale-up efforts by its partners to deliver on the Sustainable Development Goals, particularly the Government of Nigeria.
- The last donor-funded project implemented by UNOPS ended in June 2018. The office was reopened in April 2019 and high-level efforts are ongoing to secure donor funded projects. Our objective for 2021 is to consolidate the implementation of our Strategy 2018-2021 – to become Known, Recognized and a Resource for our development partners on the ground, delivering on our mandate of infrastructure, procurement and project management.
- Building on our global experience successfully delivering projects in complex operating environments, a healthy pipeline of engagements are at various stages of discussion with our priority partners including international financial institutions, UN agencies, bilateral and multilateral donors focusing on the North East region. The North-East region of Nigeria (NE) is currently in a complex protracted crisis with considerable humanitarian and developmental needs along with extensive damages to social and physical infrastructure. Likewise, the unanticipated COVID-19 pandemic has further impaired the already fragile health system.
- The capacity of the entire country's health system to address the possible impact of the pandemic remains limited. Critical resources such as trained health workers and medical supplies are being diverted to respond to the pandemic, thus leaving other essential services heavily under-resourced and dysfunctional
Background Information – Job Specific
- The United Nations Office for Project Services (UNOPS) is looking for a Support Services Senior Associate to offer operational support to the team in the Nigeria Country Office to deliver a project to Strengthen the health system of conflict- affected and hard-to-reach areas of Borno State.
- The Support Services Senior Associate will maintain a close eye on the operational performance, identify probable issues that may need attention, support in problem analysis and solution identification as necessary, coordinate resolution as per action-items assigned. The Support Services Senior Associate may be required to work in complex and challenging environments
The Support Services Senior Associate will be responsible for the following summary of functions:
- Management Support
- Team Management
- Logistics, Administration and Security Management Services
- Knowledge Building and Knowledge Sharing
- Coordinates individual work areas and coaches personnel in execution of standard office transactions, processes and client services for work areas, ensuring full compliance with UNOPS rules, regulations, policies and strategies and knowledge of the work areas.
- Provides general administrative services for the work area, managing the information flow, following up on the timeliness of responses for initiatives, correspondence, and queries, with internal and external stakeholders, including Security Focal Points of UN agencies and The UN Department of Safety and Security (UNDSS).
- Organizes meetings and briefings, arranges appointments, receives visitors, places and screens telecommunications, answering queries with discretion, and takes minutes and/or notes at meetings as directed by supervisors.
- Prepares reports, tables, databases, charts, etc., applying technical skills and knowledge in formatting.
- Facilitates emergency communications by operating specialized data-communication equipment.
- Maintains routine and confidential correspondence files / documents, ensuring the security of data and other sensitive information.
- Monitors team performance against service agreements with clients, and client satisfaction
- Implements the control mechanism for designated administrative services, including maintenance of administrative control records such as travel, commitments and expenditures.
- Administers inventory control, supervising proper issuance of inventory items and supplies.
- Reviews travel authorizations, documentation, payments
- May be designated transactional role in OneUNOPS/Enterprise system
- Compiles data and researches information for planning of financial resources/administrative budget for administrative services.
- Facilitate the engagement and provision of high quality results and services of the team supervised through effective work planning, performance management, coaching, and promotion of learning and development
- Provide oversight, ensuring compliance by team members with existing policies and best practices.
Logistics, Administration and Security Management Services:
- Ensures effective and efficient provision of logistics and asset management support services, meeting client needs and in compliance with UNOPS rules, regulations, policies and strategies, covering:
- Oversees implementation of logistics system in accordance with UNOPS logistical procedures
- Coordinates and supervises processes and services in shipments and customs clearance, travel, events management, administrative surveys, transportation services and insurance, building/facilities/space management, office supplies.
- Coordinates supply and assets management services and physical verification of inventory items ensuring timely preparation and submission of periodic inventory reports
- Oversees protocol matters, ensuring efficient delivery of client services, including registration of staff and host government authorizations.
- Supervises external contractors for transportation services, including client service and processing of invoices.
- Work under the guidance and supervision of the functional supervisor, within the Support Services team and in close coordination with the Project Managers and the office management team to provide a comprehensive range of specialized and administrative support services for the management of security and safety operations.
- Promote a client-oriented approach consistent with UNOPS rules and regulations and UN Security Management System policies. S/he will be responsible for resolving security related issues and information exchange in a timely fashion.
- Manages liaison and coordination with local authorities on authorizations/privileges and immunities for UNOPS personnel, office space and other administrative matters.
- Compiles information on administrative services provided for cost-recovery bills.
- May supervise transportation services including client service, regular vehicle maintenance, insurance, and monitoring of consumption.
- Ensures prompt reporting and investigation of vehicle accidents, damage, loss or theft of items; update and maintenance of vehicle history report.
Knowledge Building and Knowledge Sharing:
- Organize, facilitate and/or deliver training and learning initiatives for personnel on Administration related topics.
- Provide sound contributions to knowledge networks and communities of practice by synthesizing of lessons learnt and dissemination of best practices in human resources.
- Collect feedback, ideas, and internal knowledge about processes and best practices and utilize productively.
Impact Of Results:
- The effective and successful achievement of results by the Support Services Senior Associate directly affects the overall efficiency of the individual team’s provision of administrative services, impacting the office’s capacity to efficiently and effectively service the operational needs of the office/programme.
- Timely and accountable delivery of services, ensures client satisfaction and promotes the image and credibility of the team and office as an effective service provider in project services and management. This enhances UNOPS’ competitive position as a partner of choice in sustainable development and project services in the country/region served.
- A minimum of Secondary School certification is required.
- A University Degree or Diploma in Business Administration, Public Administration, Procurement, Logistics, International Relations, Political Science or equivalent disciplines will be considered an asset and may substitute for some of the required years of experience.
- Minimum of seven (7) years of relevant experience in general administrative, logistics, or operations’ support services in national or international public or corporate organizations.
- Some experience in UN system organizations is desirable.
- Experience in use of Enterprise systems including OneUNOPS is desirable.
- Previous experience working in Northeast Nigeria will be considered an advantage;
- Proficiency in computers and office software packages (Google Office Suite or Google Workspace) and experience in handling web-based management systems is required.
- Full working knowledge of English is required
- Knowledge of another official UNOPS language is an asset
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply
Application Deadline 9th February, 2021.