We are inviting applications from qualified candidates to fill the position below within the organisation:
Job Title: State Advocacy and Policy Officer (Accountability and Health Financing)
Locations: Kano, Kaduna, Jigawa, Borno & Yobe
Slot: 5 Openings
Responsible to: State Team Lead
- The State Advocacy and Policy Officerswill be responsible for implementing an eight-year advocacy strategy to increase government financial resources for basic health services at the state level.
- They are expected to support the building of the capacity of Nigerian civil society to ensure that communities have adequate information about their health rights; that the voices of communities are heard by health policy-makers and stakeholders; and that health policy and health services are responsive to their needs.
Programme Implementation and Reporting:
- Contribute to the development of state level annual workplans and budgets, and quarterly mobilisation plans including preparing/revising state level work plans and budget plans
- Support the building of strong and mutually beneficial relationships with state-level government and other stakeholders, including civil society organisations, networks and movements, women’s rights movements, youth movements and disabled people’s organisations;
- Implement communication and advocacy actions to contribute to project results;
- Implement state level project deliverables;
- Monitor progressagainst state level annual and quarterly work plans and budget plans;
- Attend state level meetings with the StateTeam;
- Ensure there is regular communication of progress or escalation of challenges at the state level
- Support the preparation of quarterly and annual state level narrative and financial reports to DFID and ActionAid;
- Participate actively in developing periodic/annual state plans and budgets;
- Support the monitoring, revising and correct administrative and financial management of project advocacy and policy objectives at the state level.
- Contribute to a personal and team culture that demonstrates ActionAid International’s values including: Mutual Respect, Equity and Justice, Integrity, Solidarity with People Living in Poverty and Exclusion, Courage of Conviction, Independence and Humility.
- Entire ActionAidNigeria staff.
- Government, Civil Society Organisations, networks and movements, women’s rights movements, youth movements and disability rights groups.
- Graduate Degree in a relevant subject.
- Postgraduate degree in public health, social sciences or management;
- Membership of relevant professional institute.
- Strong proficiency in Hausa or other local languages strongly preferred
- A minimum of 7 years’ relevant work experience, of which 3 years must be on health accountability programmes or similar projects;
- Strong understanding of the Nigerian health system, civil society, and social justice movements at the state level;
- Demonstrable experience in implementing advocacy strategies to influence policy change at the state level;
- Knowledge of policy, CSOs, media and youth movements landscape in Nigeria;
- A good understanding and clear commitment to human rights-based approach and women’s rights.
- Experience working on projects funded by the UK Department for International Development (DFID) or similar donors;
- Experience in community-based work and engagements with CSOs;
- Good knowledge of women’s rights, gender equality and human rights;
- Existing working relationships with civil society and feminist networks in Nigeria.
- Strong communication and writing skills;
- Strong research, analytical and writing skills;
- Strong analytical skill;
- Demonstrable IT skills;
- Strong networking and relationship-building skills;
- Strong organisational skills and co-ordination skills in meeting tight deadlines;
- Highly numerate.
- A strong commitment to human rights and socio-economic justice;
- Self-motivated person able to work without close supervision;
- Strong team player, able to work closely with others remotely, ability to meet tight deadlines and multiple priorities;
- Flexibility to travel;
- Willing to work additional hours at crucial times
- Ability to relate with ActionAid Nigeria’s mission, values and objectives;
3rd April, 2019.
Method of Application
Interested and qualified candidates should kindly download and complete the "Application Form" below and send as an MS Word attachment to: Vacancy.Nigeria@actionaid.org Subject line of emails must state clearly, job title of position applied for and location e.g.Education Project Coordinator, Breaking Barriers Project – Abuja
Click Here to Download Application Form (MSWord)
Click Here for more Information
- Only electronically submitted forms will be considered. Submitted CVs will be disregarded.
- Submitted applications for this position will be reviewed as received.
- ActionAid offers competitive terms of employment. Applications from women and candidates from the North East and North West are particularly encouraged.
- While we respect all applicants, interview dates will be communicated only to shortlisted candidates.