Action Against Hunger is the world’s hunger specialist and leader in a global movement that aims to end life-threatening hunger for good within our lifetimes. For 40 years, the humanitarian and development organization has been on the front lines, treating and preventing hunger across nearly 50 countries. It served more than 21 million people in 2018 alone.
We are recruiting to fill the position of:
Job Title: Stabilization Centre Officer
Location: Maiduguri, Borno
Employment Type: Full Time
Department: Programmes - Nutrition and Health
Experience: Mid Level
Proposed Start date: June 2021
Direct Line Manager: Nutrition and Health Programme Manager
Company Overview / Description
- Action Against Hunger (Action Contre la Faim – ACF) began operations in Nigeria in 2010 in response to the high rate of chronic malnutrition in Northern Nigeria, focusing on integrated programming and looking at the Nutrition for children, pregnant and lactating mothers. In 2011, we expanded our work to begin implementing nutrition development projects in Jigawa and Yobe. Following the crises in Northeast Nigeria, we further expanded our operations in Borno State in 2014 in response to the crisis to address the Nutrition, Health, Food security & livelihoods, WASH, and shelter needs of conflict-affected communities. We are operational in 11 Local Government Areas of Borno, 12 in Yobe, and 3 in Jigawa.
- The mission has over 600 staff including over 40 international employees. There are four base offices: Damaturu, Maiduguri, Monguno, and Dutse, and three sub-bases including Potiskum, Bade, and Damasak.
- USAID-Bureau of Humanitarian Assistance (BHA)'s mission is to save lives, alleviate human suffering, and reduce the physical, social, and economic impact of rapid and slow-onset disasters by supporting at-risk populations to build stable foundations. By ensuring affected populations have enough food and income, health and nutrition services and increased access to improved water, sanitation and hygiene, Action Against Hunger through this action will enhance the goal of saving lives, alleviating human suffering and reducing impact of disasters for the vulnerable populations.
- Action Against Hunger is looking to fill the role of a Stabilization Centre Officer who will be responsible for the overall and day to day management of Severe Acute Malnutrition (SAM) with Medical complications at AAH BHA Supported Stabilization Centre (SC) in Maiduguri.
- S/he will be in charge for the overall support and direct supervision of the SC seconded staffs including SC Doctors, SC Nurses and SC Nurse Assistants.
- In collaboration with the Nutrition and Health sector Manager the SC officer will ensure that the center is functioning properly, providing care of high quality including medical diagnosis and treatment of SAM children presenting with medical complications
- Support the stabilization center medical team on deciding properly about the malnutrition status of SAM children and referrals to other components of CMAM (SC/OTP/SFP) by ensuring strict compliance with the recommended discharge criteria.
- Provide technical coaching to the nurses and nurse aids on calculation, preparation of therapeutic milk and distribution and monitoring of feeding according to the standard protocol for the SAM children.
- Ensure that the systematic treatment and drugs are given correctly to all patient in collaboration with SC doctors.
- Follow up on the hygiene and sanitation rules in the center and ensure PPE are always available and being used.
- Ensure that adequate supplies are available in stabilization centers in collaboration with the SC manager and Nutrition and Health Sector Manager.
- Prepare weekly/monthly utilization, requisition and stock report for therapeutic feeding products, medicines and medical equipment with validation from the SC manager.
- Carry out daily ward rounds in the morning and evening with SC Doctors, SC nurses and ensure patients are visited as appropriately. Ensure the notes on patient cards are properly filled after the ward rounds or any other patient examination or procedures.
- Organize and conduct weekly medical meetings with the team to discuss mortality review and case study in collaboration with the Nutrition and Health sector manager.
- Compile and analyze the data and determine the performance of the center, share the monthly Activity Progress Report in collaboration with the Nutrition and Health Sector Manager.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Medicine with SC experience, Nursing, RN Nurse with SC experience Public Health, Nutrition or related Degree desired Graduate Degree in Psychology or Public Health or related course is an added advantage;
- Minimum of three (3) years’ experience in in- patient management of SAM cases with Medical Complications and CMAM programmes implementation;
- Valid and current practicing license;
- Excellent report-writing skills is required;
- Fluent in written and spoken English, Hausa and/or Kanuri;
- Good Communication and Interpersonal skills;
- Team management experience with similar programs;
- Commitment to and understanding of ACTION AGAINST HUNGER’s aims, values and principles;
- Working knowledge of Word, Excel, Power Point is required.
Minimum Basic Salary & Other Benefits
- NGN 260,244 per month
- Other benefits include but not limited to 100% health care coverage, paid leave per year, free and direct access to Cross Knowledge e-learning platform.
Application Closing Date
9th June, 2021.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
- Our employees enjoy a work culture that promotes diversity and inclusion
- Action Against Hunger provides Equal Employment Opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, colour, religion, gender, national origin, age, disability or genetics.
- Qualified women are strongly encourage to apply.