Premiere Urgence Internationale (PUI) is a non-governmental, non-profit, non-political and non-religious international aid organization. Our teams are committed to supporting civilians’ victims of marginalization and exclusion, or hit by natural disasters, wars and economic collapses, by answering their fundamental needs. Our aim is to provide emergency relief to uprooted people in order to help them recover their dignity and regain self-sufficiency.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Sexual & Reproductive Health (SRH) Advisor
: Maiduguri, Borno
Contract start date: 1st April, 2020
- The PUI Nigerian Mission has been officially opened in April 2016, with a focus on meeting urgent needs, including improving access to food commodities, primary health care and nutrition for Internally Displaced People (IDP) and host communities (HC) living in Maiduguri Metropolitan Council (MMC).
- The progressive sectorial widening allowed PUI to start implementing an integrated approach from 2017 in food security, livelihoods, nutrition and health sectors, with the support of ECHO, FFP, OFDA and CIAA/CDC, in line with PUI’s global strategy. From the launch of the health care services in February 2017 to the end of April 2018, a total of 119 913 OPD consultations were reached in Bolori II, while more than 60.000 beneficiaries have been reached by our cash project.
- In mid-2018, PUI has developed its comprehensive response by adding Protection and Community Outreach (PCO) activities to the existing programs in Bolori II. In the month of October 2018 only, more than 3.500 households have received door to door visit from the PCO team. In 2018, PUI has also scaled up its intervention with the opening of Monguno LGA base, with the main objectives of reducing morbidity and mortality of the most vulnerable population and promoting protection amongst the whole affected community. This opening in Monguno allowed PUI to reach the vulnerable population in Kukawa and Cross kauwa LGA.
- In 2020, PUI will further develop its integrated approach by adding a WASH component to its comprehensive response.
- Under the direct supervision of the Medical Coordinator, the Sexual and Reproductive Health (SRH) Advisor provides technical support to PUI activities in Nigeria, in order to build capacity of staff and the health system overall, and to improve the quality of Sexual and Reproductive Health activities in our areas of intervention.
- The SRH Advisor works internally in collaboration with Health Program Managers at PUI Base Offices and externally with relevant Health Stakeholders.
Responsibilities and Tasks
- Programs: Ensures that Sexual and Reproductive Health (SRH) services and activities follow PUI health policy and intervention framework, align with established national guidelines, and reflect internationally accepted standards. In collaboration with the Medical Coordinator and working along with Program Manager and other appropriate staff; provides technical support to the effective implementation, monitoring and quality assurance of SRH services and actions.
- Logistics and Administration: Abides to logistical and administrative procedures pertinent to the SRH Advisor’s role and responsibilities.
- Representation: Represents the organization before partners, authorities and local actors involved in SRH through regular participation at appropriate coordination meetings and ad-hoc events as required.
- Safety: Contributes to efforts aimed at ensuring compliance with safety rules at the site, and transmits all information relating to safety concerns to his/her immediate supervisor.
- Strategy: Contributes to the development of new interventions on the basis of identified needs.
- Human Resources: In collaboration with Program Manager, provides training and technical support to the health teams as per the identified needs. The SRH Advisor may, as program and budget considerations allow, also build capacity of one National SRH staff to take on advisory responsibilities
Specific Objective and Linked Activities
Health Program (S):
- Conducts regular visits to the health facilities to assess the quality of service delivery and activity implementation
- Provides one-on-one technical assistance as per identified skill needs and project improvement areas
- Provides technical guidance in the development of key SRH health education messages
- Verifies data collection and validates databases on a monthly basis
- Analyses SRH data and other sources of information to assess progress and recommends improvements in collaboration with Medical Coordinator
- Presents options for new SRH activities or services to the consideration of the Medical Coordinator
- Contributes to the compilation and quality of monthly reports
- Leads the application and documentation of best practices for the purposes of continuous quality improvement and institutional learning (capitalization)
- Enforces the adherence to established SRH medical protocols based on prevailing national guidelines, international standards and PUI health policies
- Recommends adequate levels of medications, medical supplies and equipment to ensure quality of SRH service delivery
- Supports/advises on effective referral decision making and process for emergency obstetric and neonatal care
- Provides and/or facilities formal trainings for the SRH team (FP, BEmONC, etc)
Support To The Health Team:
- Supports the Program Manager in preparing job profiles and actively participates in the hiring process (interviewing, testing, etc.) of the health facility team
- Identifies additional training needs and organizes training sessions and/or facilitates external trainings as needed
- Provides supportive supervision of SRH staff at all PUI supported health facilities
- Provides technical input to SRH work plans.
- Provides practical training on main SRH protocols including ANC, PNC, Basic Emergency Obstetric and Neonatal Care, Family Planning consultation and medical care for survivor of GBV.
Logistic & Administration:
- Reviews lists of medications, medical equipment, and medical consumables needs to suffice SRH activities and services
- Complies with logistical and administrative procedures.
Representation Of PUI:
- Represents PUI at pertinent coordination meetings regularly and other meetings as requested
- Participates in Technical Working Groups as relevant to the enhancement of PUI activities and as agreed with Medical Coordinator
- Maintains good relations with all stakeholders in accordance to PUI humanitarian principles (neutrality, independence…)
Safety Of Property And People:
- Ensures that SRH health workers are informed on Infection Prevention and Control; and provided with and trained on proper usage of pertinent protective equipment
- Contributes to data collection on security & safety by sharing important context information with the person in charge
- Ensures selection criteria, project methodologies and service delivery do not place beneficiaries, PUI staff or any other person in harm’s way; and alerts the Medical Coordinator without delay in case of impending danger to teams or beneficiaries
- Follows, analyses and reports on SRH epidemiological data in collaboration with the Medical Coordinator and Program managers.
- Participates in assessing and identifying SRH health needs and gaps and advises on strategies to address them.
- Contributes to the development of funding proposals, specifically for SRH activities; and relevant communication pieces to showcase PUI’s work related to SRH.
Note : The tasks and responsibilities defined in this job description are non-exhaustive and can evolve depending on the project’s needs.
- Language skills: Fluent in hausa and english (kanuri is a plus)
- Education degree: Minimum of BNSc. + RN / RM and relevant post-graduate degree (public health, tropical medicine, or closely related field in reproductive health) is desirable.
- Work experience: Minimum of 3 years of experience in a similar position (either with INGOs/NGOs or Hospitals), SRH experience especially in active management of Labour
Knowledge and skills:
- Good writing skills, knowledge of Project Management, knowledge of internationally accepted SRH protocols and standards, self-guided learning skills, ability to motivate and guide others for knowledge and skills building.
- Experience in the implementation of Basic Emergency Obstetric and Neo-natal care package including vacuum extraction and post abortion care, Knowledge on medical care for GBV survivors.
- Computer Skills: Good knowledge of the MS office software including Word, Outlook and Excel.
- Good skills in reports and contracts redaction
- Knowledge of humanitarian actors
- Good management and pedagogical skills
- Excellent communication and diplomacy skills to manage relationship in potentially tense situations.
- Commitment to the NGO values and principles
- Understanding of the political situation in the area
- Ability to work independently while keeping team spirit oriented behavior
- Ability to withstand pressure
- Capacity of organization and management of priorities
- Proactive and trouble-shooting skills
- Ability to work and manage issues professionally and with maturity
- Ability to integrate the local environment into operations, in its political, economic and historical dimensions.
- Open-minded & diplomatic skills
- Analytical & Strategic skills
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply
Application Deadline 13th March, 2020.