The International Institute of Tropical Agriculture (IITA) is a not-for-profit institution that generates agricultural innovations to meet Africa’s most pressing challenges of hunger, malnutrition, poverty, and natural resource degradation. Working with various partners across sub-Saharan Africa, we improve livelihoods, enhance food and nutrition security, increase employment, and preserve natural resource integrity. IITA is a member of CGIAR, a global agriculture research partnership for a food secure future.
We are recruiting to fill the position of:
Job Title: Senior Research Supervisor
Reference No.: IITA - HR - NRS2020 - 0011
Location: Ibadan, Oyo
Recruitment Type: National (2-year renewable contract)
Successful candidate will among other things perform the following duties:
- Participate in the inspection surveys for virus disease incidence in the seed multiplication plots/germplasm evaluation trials in the fields and under screenhouse conditions;
- Collect samples for health assessment and indexing by qualitative and quantitative diagnostics to measure virus load;
- Perform characterization of virus diversity using biological and molecular methods including use of conventional and high-throughput sequencing methods;
- Carry out diagnostics testing for viruses on IITA mandate crops and selection of healthy planting material for propagation;
- Carry out virus purification, production of antibodies, design oligonucleotide primers for PCR and isothermal amplification assays;
- Participate as resource person in diagnostics and phenotyping workshops;
- Collection, analyse field and laboratory data, and prepare quality technical reports;
- Perform all other related duties that may be assigned from time to time by the supervisor.
B.Sc / HND qualification in Plant Science, Pathology, Microbiology, Molecular Biology, Biochemistry, Biotechnology or related fields with minimum of five (5) years’ experience in application of molecular biological procedures in a well-structured environment.
The ideal candidate must:
Have good communication skills.
We offer highly competitive salary with equally attractive benefits and excellent working conditions in a pleasant campus environment.
Application Closing Date
31st March, 2021.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidate should complete the online application attaching detailed Cover Letter and Curriculum Vitae saved with their names in Microsoft word format to IITA.
- The application must include the names and e-mail addresses of three professional referees which must include the applicant’s current or previous direct Supervisor, professional colleague and evidence of current remuneration package.
- IITA is an equal opportunity employer and is committed to building a diverse workforce, particularly welcoming applications from women.
- While all applications will be acknowledged, please note that only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
- IITA is an equal opportunity employer and is committed to building a diverse
- workforce, particularly welcoming applications from women. While all applications will be acknowledged, please note that only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.