Social Impact (SI) is a global development management consulting firm. We provide monitoring, evaluation, strategic planning, and capacity building services to advance development effectiveness. We work across all development sectors including democracy and governance, health and education, the environment, and economic growth. Since 1997, we have worked in over 100 countries for clients such as US government agencies, bilateral donors, multilateral development banks, foundations, and nonprofits.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Senior Program Evaluation Specialist, USAID Integrated Health Midterm Performance Evaluation
Locations: Abuja (FCT) and Bauchi, Nigeria
Timeline: May 2022 - September 2022
Scope of Work
In Nigeria, SI supports Navanti to implement the Monitoring, Evaluation, and Learning (MEL) Support Activity which provides comprehensive MEL and Collaborating, Learning, and Adapting (CLA) support to strengthen USAID/Nigeria’s results for increased learning and accountability and contribute to the implementation of its Country Development Cooperation Strategy.
- USAID/Nigeria has engaged the MEL Support Activity to conduct an external Midterm Performance Evaluation of integrated health activity.
- This Activity aims to contribute to state-level reductions in child and maternal morbidity and mortality and to increase the capacity of health systems (public and private) to sustainably support quality primary health care (PHC) services.
- The primary purpose of this mid-term performance evaluation is to determine whether the assistance is meeting the stated development objectives and to inform the design of USAID’s next generation of healthcare interventions in Nigeria.
- It is intended to provide an independent examination of the overall progress and accomplishments of the Activity.
- Note: The estimated start date will be May 15, 2022. The evaluation is expected to last until September 2022, and the estimated LOE will be 51 days, maximum.
- SI is seeking a Senior Program Evaluation Specialist who will be supporting the evaluation team’s effort and ensuring a rigorous and high-quality evaluation. Under the technical leadership of the MEL Support Activity, the Senior Program Evaluation Specialist will be working alongside one Team Leader and three Nigerian team members.
- The Senior Program Evaluation Specialist will consult with the team and provide input on the deliverables throughout the duration of the evaluation.
- Support the Team Leader to conduct all evaluation activities, including the evaluation design, methodology development of instruments, data collection, synthesis of data, presentations, and preparation of a final report with team contributions. Lead tasks as assigned.
- Serve as the in-country point of contact for the evaluation if the Team Leader is unable to be physically present in Nigeria.
- Contribute expertise and technical inputs to the work plan.
- Perform desk review and identify additional information required for analysis.
- Schedule and interview key stakeholders and beneficiaries.
- In consultation with the Team Leader, coordinate the team's ongoing analysis of qualitative and quantitative data.
- Support the preparation and presentation of the In brief and Out-brief to USAID/Nigeria and other stakeholders as requested.
- Write assigned sections of the draft Evaluation report in coordination with the team members, taking into consideration feedback from the Out-brief presentation.
- Support the Team Leader to respond to USAID comments on the draft report and prepare a final report.
- Work collaboratively with team members throughout design, implementation, analysis, and report writing to complement each other's areas of expertise.
The candidate is expected to have the following qualifications:
- A Master's Degree in Public Health, Economics, Demography/Population Studies, Sociology, Research or related Social Science field.
- Minimum of six years of experience working in public health and evaluation/research in Nigeria.
- Three of these years should be in public health/social science research at a senior level.
- Demonstrate a clear understanding of the key performance indicators of integrated health programming.
- Experience in health system strengthening, health financing and health policy reforms in Nigeria is strongly desired.
- Strong background in qualitative data collection methods, including focus group discussions (FGD), key informants/ in-depth interviews (KII/IDI) and data transcription. Additional background in quantitative data collection methods is beneficial.
- Good understanding of the contextual and operational challenges of health care delivery and the health system in Nigeria especially at the primary health level.
- Strong communication skills, both interpersonal and written, to fulfil the technical and managerial responsibilities proposed.
- S/he must demonstrate a high command of English language written and verbal fluency.
- Experience facilitating and providing leadership in collaborative and participatory research with multiple stakeholders and donors.
Application Closing Date
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
- Nigerian citizens are encouraged to apply.
- Although interviews and selection will be performed on a rolling basis. Interested candidates are encouraged to apply as soon as possible.
- Only selected candidates will be contacted for an interview. Please, no phone calls.