At The Olive Prime Psychological services (TOPS), we are aware of the dynamics of being human and understand that life can sometimes go beyond your capabilities. Additionally, we understand the role genetics and environmental factors play in our mental health and the ability to cope with life. Difficult situations do arise, and at such times, we are committed to providing the much needed support to our clients and patients, ensuring that each individual experiences a more realistic, flexible journey to Recovery.
Our treatment approach is multidisciplinary and delivered in a safe and comfortable environment with experienced staff that provide specialist services and combine a range of therapeutic interventions.
TOPS became the first Day Hospital addiction and mental health resource center in Nigeria when it opened in Abuja a few years ago. It has since grown to have an inpatient facility in Abuja. TOPS has a robust array of psychological tools and can boast of being one of the few Centers in West Africa that have the latest Psychological Tools like the WISC-V for testing intelligence in young people.
Our Drug rehabilitation program is a blend of both American/Canadian and UK treatment protocols (choosing the best from each service). More importantly we believe in the role of spirituality in treatment, irrespective of your faith. Your spiritual development will be encouraged. We also have a centre in Lekki Phase 1, Lagos State. It is an 11 – bedded facility. Our new Clinical Director, who is a Consultant Psychiatrist, is an experienced clinician and versed in management of all forms of psychiatric Disorders. She was trained in family/systemic treatments by the Meriden Centre at Birmingham and Solihull Mental Health Foundation NHS Trust. She is one of the big minds in Quality Service delivery within the mental health space in Nigeria.
TOPS is now a member of the newly formed Intersect Consortium. This is the largest consortium of organisations providing mental and behavioral health treatments in Africa.
We are recruiting to fill the position of:
Job Title: Senior Medical Officer
Reports to: Clinical Director
Principal Duties and Responsibilities
- Be present and contactable within clinic premises at all times during work hours except when on other official duties.
- To carry out a physical examination on all patients before admission according to the Olives Prime Policy
- Ensure that leaflets explaining diagnosis, medication and its effects are given to patient, explained and documented.
- Encourage consultants to explain diagnosis to patient and document it.
- To respond promptly to the request of all clinical staff (consultants, other doctors and nurses) to see patients within the clinic and to advice or start any treatment as indicated.
- Undertake specific medical procedures on patients within the clinic as requested by medical and nursing staff: cannulation, commencing I.V infusions, administration of I.V drugs, etc.
- To maintain individual contact with patients, carrying out ward rounds and other duties detailed by the Consultant
- To update clinical notes on all patients according to best practice for record keeping
- To ensure that within a week of admission, patient’s diagnosis in line with ICD is documented on EMR and explained to the patient and Family.
- To type and file discharge summaries on all patients discharged from Tourmaline-Olive Prime within 72 hours of discharge
- Must ensure every patient discharged from Olive Prime sees a doctor within 7 days post discharge
- Run regular follow up clinics and encourage patient attendance
- Carry out home visits to review patients
- Lead a clinical team to pick up patients from the community for admission
- Partake in On call duties
- Run a smoking cessation clinic
- Contribute to and be a part of Olive Prime Business Team
- Liaise regularly with Service Manager to discuss service improvement
- Carry out regular teaching sessions directed at Nurses, Support Workers and Psychologists.
- Be part of the team that makes contact with Organizations to seek clients for Olive Prime
- Carry out presentations at clinical meetings in various hospitals to inform them of our clinical services
- To examine a sick/injured member of clinic staff and offer appropriate advice in respect of treatment
- Be a part of interview panels during staff recruitment
- Be a member of Olive prime Middle management committee and attend line Management meetings
- Be a co-chair for Olive Prime Educational meetings
- Will be asked to be part of other adhoc committees if and when necessary
- Take a lead role in developing and writing proposals for Olive Prime-Tourmaline Services
- Be a facilitator on some of Olive Prime Training programs
- Read understand and adhere to clinic policies and procedures
- Will be a clinical and managerial lead
- Will be a part of the Business Development team
Health and Safety and Quality Assurance:
- Be familiar, understand and adhere to all Health and Safety regulations including evacuation policy and the medical officer’s role in such an event
- Be aware of the promotion of effective customer care and public relations in order to promote the good reputation of the clinic
- Perform any other duties as assigned by the Line Manager is essential
Qualifications and Requirements
- Bachelor’s of Medicine or Bachelor of Surgery
- Post-graduation qualifications including Masters programs are desirable
- Experience in non-clinical settings that demonstrates exposure to other industries is desirable.
- Relevant experience in mental health is desirable
- Minimum of 6 years’ experience in Clinical care and patient management. Development
- Will be sponsored to internal training programs and if exceptional will be exposed to international training programs.
- Will be expected to engage in self-directed learning.
Deadline: 25th August, 2021.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should send their CV and Cover Letter to: [email protected] using the Job Title as the subject of the mail.
Note: Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.