The International Rescue Committee (IRC) responds to the world’s worst humanitarian crises and helps people to survive and rebuild their lives. Founded in 1933 at the request of Albert Einstein, the IRC offers lifesaving care and life-changing assistance to refugees forced to flee from war or disaster. At work today in over 40 countries and 22 U.S. cities, we restore safety, dignity and hope to millions who are uprooted and struggling to endure. The IRC leads the way from harm to home.
We are recruiting to fill the position of:
Job Title: Senior Internal Auditor
Reference No.: req10819
Location: Abuja (FCT)
Employment Category: Consultant
Employment Type: Full-Time
Open to Expatriates: No
Background / IRC Summary
- The International Rescue Committee responds to the world’s worst humanitarian crises and helps people to survive and rebuild their lives. Founded in 1933 at the request of Albert Einstein, IRC offers life-saving care and life-changing assistance to refugees forced to flee from war or disaster.
- At work today in more than 40 countries and in 22 U.S. cities, IRC restores safety, dignity and hope to millions who are uprooted by conflict or disaster. IRC leads the way from harm to home.
- The IRC has been present in Nigeria since 2012 when the organization responded to flooding in Kogi state. In February 2014 the IRC moved into Adamawa State in NE Nigeria to provide humanitarian interventions through a multi-sectorial, integrated approach for conflict-affected populations.
- IRC Nigeria now operates a country office in Abuja and field offices in Mubi and Yola of Adamawa State, Maiduguri, Gwoza and Monguno of Borno State and Damaturu of Yobe State.
- Currently, IRC Nigeria implements programs focused in primary health care, nutrition, environmental health, women’s protection and empowerment, protection, child protection, education, food security & livelihoods
Job Overview / Summary
- The Internal auditor is based in Abuja office with 50% travel to the field offices. The role is responsible in ensuring the IRC Nigeria financial documents filling is in agreement with books of accounts. Review CAPs of DFID (FODC) external audit recommendations are implemented. The IRC Nigeria books are ready for audit
- Ensure financial supporting documents (both online and physical) are complete and filled in accordance with IRC filing policy
- Ensure financial transactions coding are matching that of the supporting documents (make 100% vouching)
- Review the CAP for recent FCDO external audit recommendation and report its implementation
- Review all field office and the main office filling system and help the office to file in accordance with the IRC filling policy
- Ensure the office is ready for the upcoming FCDO (The scope of the audit will be from 1st April 2019 to 30th September 2020).
- Train finance staff on filling and compliance and principles of audit
- Submit reports on each deliverables every month with recommendations to Deputy Director Finance
- Performs other tasks assigned by his/her supervisor
- University degree in the above fields with seven years of relevant professional experience.
- Professional certification from a recognized accreditation body such as Certified Internal Auditor (CIA), and/or Certified Systems Auditor (CISA) is required. Other professional certifications such as Certified Public Accountant (CPA), Association of Chartered and Certified Accountants (ACCA) or equivalent, would be an advantage.
- At least three years of substantive experience in audit, finance, accounting or a combination thereof, preferably NGO experience
- Experience leading audits would be an advantage;
- Experience conducting audits in difficult operating environments and/or field locations would be an advantage;
- Knowledge of auditing standards and practices, risk assessment, and applicable financial rules and procedures;
- Advanced knowledge of SUN systems;
- Advanced knowledge of spreadsheet functionality, such as pivot tables, for the purposes of data analysis and manipulation;
Standards of Professional Conduct:
- The IRC and IRC workers must adhere to the values and principles outlined in the IRC Way – Code of Conduct. These are Integrity, Service, and Accountability.
- In accordance with these values, the IRC operates and enforces policies on Beneficiary Protection from Exploitation and Abuse, Child Safeguarding, Harassment-Free Workplace, Fiscal Integrity, Anti-Retaliation, Combating Trafficking in Persons and several others.
- IRC is committed to narrowing the gender gap in leadership positions. We offer benefits that provide an enabling environment for women to participate in our workforce including parental leave, gender-sensitive security protocols and other supportive benefits and allowances.
Working Environment :
- IRC is an Equal Opportunity Employer. IRC considers all applicants on the basis of merit without regard to race, sex, color, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, disability or any other characteristic protected by applicable law.
Application Closing Date
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online