The Management Sciences for Health (MSH), a global health nonprofit organization, uses proven approaches developed over 40 years to help leaders, health managers, and communities in developing nations build stronger health systems for greater health impact. We work to save lives by closing the gap between knowledge and action in public health.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job ID: 13-10955
Group / Office: PDG (Program Delivery Group)
Dept. / Unit: PDGGEN – Program Delivery Group
Project / Program: A559 – Nigeria GF Malaria
Reports To: Finance and Admin. Manager
- The Senior Accountant is responsible for assisting the Finance Manager with safeguarding the assets (financial and physical) of MSH and ultimately Global Fund against fraud, loss or misuse.
- S/He is responsible for ensuring that any money expended in the field is done in accordance with Generally Accepted Accounting Principles, MSH policy, and any cost principles imposed by the donor agency.
- The Senior Accountant is aware of, and adheres to, MSH’s procurement integrity standards in all activities.
- Prepare payment vouchers.
- Properly code all transactions.
- Payment of expenses, including per diem and transport to participants during activities in the field.
- Prepare and control advances.
- Participate in the improvement of the accounting system and the system of internal control.
- Create all financial reports as requested by supervisor.
- Preparation of forms for payments of taxes and social security
- Ensure that payments are processed accurately, timely, and safely (to minimize MSH’s risk exposure).
- Ensure that treasury practices in country minimize MSH’s cash exposure.
- Ensure that entries are entered into financial system accurately and timely.
- Ensure that month and year-end accounting activities are done accurately and in compliance with MSH policies and procedures.
- Ensure accuracy of reviews and postings made by supervisees for all vendor invoices, participant payments, staff advances and retirements on a daily basis.
- Assure balances of unused portions of advances are deposited into the MSH account.
- Prepare deposit slips for cash to be deposited into the bank account.
- Reconcile advances, including review of receipts, coding of expenses on the general voucher and entering into QuickBooks.
- Maintain accounting files.
- Follow up on outstanding advances and assure timely reconciliation.
- Control consumption of project (petrol, electricity, water, telephone)
- Other tasks as requested by supervisor
Qualifications and Experience
- University Degree in Accounting or equivalent certification from a Business Technical School. Master’s Degree in accounting or Business will be an added advantage
- Minimum of 6 years’ experience as an Accountant
- Understanding of key aspects of accounting
- Experience with Global Fund and U.S. government projects
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office programs, especially Excel spreadsheets, or comparable software
- Ability to use basic accounting software (i.e. QuickBooks)
- Good ethical conduct
- Monitoring/assessing performance to make improvements or take corrective action
- Excellent interpersonal skills and ability to relate to people at all levels internally and externally
- Ability to plan, balance and cope with competing priorities
- Ability to manage teams, initiate and organize work
- Ability to establish priorities in a time-sensitive environment and meet deadlines
- Demonstrate good judgment and sound financial “common sense”
- Ability to create and monitor budgets. Understanding of the basic tenets of Cash Control, Asset Management and Bank Reconciliation
- Understanding of principals of adequate documentation and audit, and performance necessary to ensure audit compliance.
- Written and verbal proficiency in English including business terminology
- A creative and proactive approach to all areas of work with a ‘can do’ attitude, in line with the MSH’s values
- Strong team working orientation with a flexible and adaptable approach to work demands across the whole organization
- Commitment to accuracy and attention to detail
- Collaboration Skills
- Financial Management
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply
Application Deadline 29th May, 2020.