ACTED has been committed since 1993, to immediate humanitarian relief to support those in urgent need and protect people’s dignity, while co-creating longer-term opportunities for sustainable growth and fulfilling people’s potential. ACTED, headquartered in Paris, France is present in four continents and our teams intervene in 37 countries towards 18million people, responding to emergency situations, supporting rehabilitation projects and accompanying the dynamics of development. Over 5,000 staff are dedicated to implementing and developing our projects.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: REACH Nutrition Field Officer
Location: Damaturu - Yobe / Yola - Adamawa
Employment Type: Full-time
Contract length: 6 Months with possibility of extension
Level: D2-1 (national contract)
Start date:1st February, 2022
Under the direct line management of the IMPACT Deputy Field Manager, the REACH NFO is responsible for overseeing data collection processes in the assigned geographical areas. The detailed responsibilities are described below.
- Support the recruitment and training of enumerators on conducting quality nutrition assessments and use of mobile data collection techniques.
- Supervise data collection and mentor enumerators on techniques to ensure data quality by organizing feedback meetings
- Ensuring data collection procedures follow the validated protocol e.g. appropriate sampling approach
- When necessary, organize qualitative interviews including review of tools, selection of respondents and moderating discussions.
- Provide regular updates about data collection processes to the coordination team, this includes timely documentation of all field observations/challenges and incidents (if applicable).
- During data collection, conduct daily debriefs with enumerators before and after deployment, on data quality, security awareness, personal safety and movement plans.
Administration and logistical support:
- Take responsibility for the safety and maintenance of nutrition surveillance equipment dispatched to enumerators, this includes stationary, anthropometric equipment, security assets and mobile data collection devices.
- Ensure strict adherence to ACTED’s security SOPs by enumerators at all times.
- Support the FLATS officer during logistical planning for field activities and preparation of all administrative documents required from enumerators, supervisors and coordinators to effect payment.
Coordination and representation:
Strengthens strategic partnerships with key stakeholders in the field; establish and maintain a network of local stakeholders including government officials and partners involved in nutrition surveillance.
- Ensure adequate communication of appraisals processes, follow up and summary of appraisals
- Share appraisal-related tools/guides as needed.
- Ensure end of probation appraisals, as well as bi-annual appraisals, are conducted promptly with HR/Admin informed at all stages including promotional objectives (Additional objectives asides from the assigned TOR ) to be achieved by the staff.
Provide feedback on HR/administrative matters raised by the field teams
Accountability to Communities and Beneficiaries:
- The staff member is responsible for ensuring that all relations with the communities we work are conducted in a respectful and consultative manner.
- Due attention must be paid to ensuring that communities are adequately consulted and informed about ACTED programme objectives, activities, beneficiary selection criteria, and methodologies.
- They will also be responsible with printing and delivering REACH products directly to those providing REACH with the data. This is the responsibility of every ACTED staff member.
Qualifications and Experience
- Bachelor’s Degree in Nutrition, Statistics, Development Studies, Public Health, or a related discipline
- 3 - 4 years working in humanitarian responses
- Experience using Microsoft Office packages especially MS Excel
- Experience collecting nutrition data using the SMART methodology is preferred
- Familiarity with nutrition programming including CMAM, IYCF interventions is preferred
- Experience using mobile data collection techniques e.g. ODK, KOBO collect
- Experience engaging with local government and non-government stakeholders at field level
- Excellent facilitation and mentorship skills
- Ability to operate in a cross-cultural environment requiring flexibility
- Fluency in written and spoken English is required; additional fluency in Hausa and Kanuri preferred
- Ability to work independently and flexibility to frequently travel to multiple field locations.
Application Closing Date
21st January, 2022.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
- All applicants must send a cover letter and an updated CV (no longer than four pages) in English
- Interested and qualified candidates should provide contact details (name, position, email address, and tel. no.) of 3 professional non-related references, whereas 2 must be for the latest employer. (HR and Supervisor)
- Please do not attach any written recommendations.
- Only motivated applications that address the stipulated duties and meet the required qualifications sent together with a CV, will be considered. CV-only applications will not be considered.
- ACTED considers all applicants on the basis of merit without regard to race, sex, colour, religion, sexual orientation, age, marital status, or disability.
- CVs will be review on rolling bases.
- Due to the large numbers of expected applicants ACTED will only inform shortlisted candidates. We apologise for the inconvenience.
- Only short-listed applicants will be invited for written test and oral interview.