The Management Sciences for Health (MSH), a global health nonprofit organization, uses proven approaches developed over 40 years to help leaders, health managers, and communities in developing nations build stronger health systems for greater health impact. We work to save lives by closing the gap between knowledge and action in public health.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Quality Assurance Laboratory Scientist for Therapeutic Efficacy Study 2021
Job ID: R752
Location: Abuja, Nigeria
Job type: Part-time
- The US President’s Malaria Initiative (PMI) in collaboration with the National Malaria Elimination Programme (NMEP) plans to conduct the 2021 Therapeutic Efficacy Studies (TES) in four select sites beginning July 2021.
- In Nigeria, TES is coordinated by the TES Core Team with membership from WHO, PMI and NMEP. The MSH-led President’s malaria Initiative for States (PMI-S) Project is leading the process on behalf of PMI.
- We are seeking to engage an Quality Assurance Laboratory Scientist to lead implementation of the 2021 TES working closely with the TES Core Team and reporting to the Core Team through TES Technical Consultant.
- S/he will assist in assuring quality of TES preparations, trainings, study sites, and ensuring the overall quality of TES conduct and outputs related to laboratory components based on WHO recommended Lot Quality Assurance (LQA) approach to external quality assurance.
- S/he shall work out of the designated National Reference Laboratory (in collaboration with Walter Reed Army Institute of Research (WRAIR) Nigeria team) based in Abuja. There will be four Quality Assurance Laboratory Scientist for the 2021 TES.
- The 2021 DTES will be conducted in four Sentinel sites located in Kaduna, Imo, Kwara and Lagos states.
- In collaboration with the TES Coordinator, assure quality of TES protocol related to laboratory and all related standard operating procedures (SOPs) and job aids
- Collaborate with the TES Core Team to plan, and monitor QA/QC interventions related to the laboratory during the study at site level.
- Lead the development of the TES laboratory procedures quality assurance and quality improvement plan
- Assure adherence to study laboratory protocol at all TES sites
- Assure good laboratory practice (GLP) including sample collection, preparation of slides and analysis.
- In collaboration with the TES data manager assure the quality of laboratory data from the study
- Provide regular updates on TES implementation related to the laboratory components to the TES core team
- Conduct periodic supervisory visits and serve as reference microscopist and conduct blinded cross-checking or validation of slides at study site
- Ensure the appropriate collection of blood on filter paper suitable for parasite DNA extraction according to the protocol l
- Communicate concerns or issues about the TES immediately to the TES Coordinator
- Provide regular (weekly)/and as may be determined quality assurance reports for key TES outputs
- Advanced degree in Public Health and Medical Laboratory Sciences with at least 8-10 years cognate experience in quality assurance and laboratory management systems
- Good understanding of the essential package of implementation of malaria diagnostic package, post qualification experience working in a laboratory setting and advanced training on malaria diagnosis
- Knowledge of advanced laboratory procedures and other relevant procedures in conducting clinical or epidemiologic trials
- WHO malaria microscopy certification
- Familiarity or previous conduct of TES as an external quality assessor
Application Closing Date
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should: