The European Union (EU) is an economic and political partnership between 27 European countries. It plays an important role in international affairs through diplomacy, trade, development aid and working with global organisations. Abroad, the EU is represented through more than 140 diplomatic representations, known also as EU Delegations, which have a similar function to those of the EU embassy development programme.
The EU Delegation to the Federal Republic of Nigeria and ECOWAS works closely with the national, regional and local authorities as well as other foreign missions. The European Union (EU) is a major player in the international development community in Nigeria with an active presence in the key sectors of health, nutrition, water and sanitation and improving access to sustainable electricity. Additional crosscutting activities include the fight against corruption, drugs and organised crime, support to the reform of the justice system, measures to increase the role of democratic processes and supporting a greater role for civil society.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Project Officer – International Aid / Cooperation
Job No. e-Del-HRM No: 116853
Sysper 2 No: 387834-DEVCO
- We offer a post of Project Officer. Under this post, the recruited person will be attributed functions depending on the needs of the Delegation.
- Upon recruitment, the successful candidate will occupy a specific job function as Project Officer. This job function may be changed in accordance with the needs of the Delegation.
- Under this job function, the successful candidate will be responsible for conception, elaboration and implementation of regional cooperation projects and programmes, in collaboration with the Regional Organisations, in particular ECOWAS, under the supervision of the relevant Team Leader.
- Medically fit to perform the required duties; Enjoys civil rights and permits for employment under the Nigerian labour law;
- Excellent knowledge of English, fluency in spoken and written (C2 Level)
- A Master’s Degree in Political Science, International Law, Human Rights, Development Studies, Peace Studies, Law, International Relations or other relevant Social Sciences qualification.
- At least 5 years continuous relevant experience in programme/project management.
- Full computer literacy, covering all relevant MS Office applications.
- We expect a candidate with deep understanding and experience in project monitoring methods and techniques, including logical framework, with high level of personal integrity, able to work under strict deadlines and able to cope with a significant workload such as;
- Analyse developments in the sectors pertinent to the regional cooperation and contribute to the preparation ofreports for the Delegation and EU HQ.
- Support policy dialogue with relevant regional organisations, agencies, development partners and other relevant stakeholders.
- Following policy developments and leading engagement with EU’s programmes and efforts pertinent to the regional cooperation section.
Management of EU Projects:
- Liaise with EU HQ for the dissemination and implementation in West Africa of global EU initiatives.
- Contribute to programming and reviews of the regional Sub-Saharan Africa programmes including identification, formulation and monitoring of programmes/projects in co-ordination with relevant regionaland national authorities, ensuring that EU regulations and procedures are followed.
- Manage the implementation of some EU Delegation’s programmes in the area ofregional cooperation.
- Contribute to reporting requirements: External Assistance Management Report (EAMR); Progress Report, project, sector and ad-hoc reports.
- Contribute to the visibility of EU development cooperation activities.
- Support other cooperation teams in their work with ECOWAS.
- In the performance of the above-mentioned duties, the Project Officer will work closely together with other staff in the Cooperation Unit and within the EU Delegation, particularly with the Finance and Contracts Section
Monitoring and Reporting:
- Reporting to the Team Leader and the Head of Cooperation, the Project Officer is expected to contribute and provide technical expertise to the EU Delegation in all phases of the project management cycle, in particular to ensure proper project appraisal and subsequently monitoring of project implementation, and sector reviews.
- The Project Officer will be assigned specific projects/programmes with primary focus on regional cooperation.
Communication and Networking:
- The position requires excellent analytical, report writing, networking and communication skills.
- Furthermore, the ability to work under pressure in a team or individually on specific tasks and to adapt to a multi-cultural environment is required.
- Candidates are also expected to be able to communicate complex information in a comprehensible manner, be flexible towards new demands and deliver their outputs in a structured way.
- The Project Officer will contribute to information exchange, coordination and policy dialogue with EU Member States, national and international development partners, regional, national, civil society and the private sector.
When required, undertake other assignments that may be needed in view of the efficient functioning of the Delegation. The following will be considered an asset:
- Knowledge French language at working level.
- Additional qualifications in project management.
- Project cycle management experience in Nigeria, including ECOWAS and familiarity with EU development cooperation instruments as well as EU procurement/financial procedures.
Condition of Services and Benefits
- The candidate, Local Agent LA1 will work full time (37.5 hours weekly) in a multicultural and multinational environment at the premises of the EU Delegation in Abuja, Nigeria. We offer a competitive position in an international environment.
- Benefits, such as a pension scheme and medical insurance, are offered to employees and their families under certain conditions. The gross basic salary will be raised in accordance with the current salary scale, depending on years of relevant professional experience, starting from NGN 1,440,847.
Deadline: 30th April, 2022.
Method of Application
Interested and qualified candidates should submit their Application to: [email protected]
- After the deadline for applications, the applications will be reviewed by the Selection Committee set up for this purpose. The Selection Committee will prepare a shortlist of candidates who are considered to be the most suitable for this post on the basis of a preliminary assessment of the information provided in their application letter and the supporting document.
- The shortlisted candidates will be invited to an assessment phase, which is a written test, followed by interviews. During this phase, the Selection Committee will assess the suitability of the candidates for the post.
- The candidates who have not been shortlisted will not be contacted individually; however, the Delegation will inform the remaining candidates by email, once the recruitment procedure has been completed and that a candidate has (or has not) been recruited.
- The Delegation will not supply additional information or discuss the selection procedure by telephone: please address any queries concerning this procedure to: [email protected] Applications received after the deadline stated above or not conform to these instructions will be automatically rejected.
Important Information and Notice
- Applications should consist of a Letter explaining your interest and suitability for this position and Curriculum Vitae (each 2 pages maximum). These documents should be sent by email to the attention of “Head of Administration”, on above stated email address.
- Application should clearly state the title of the post “Project Officer – International Aid /Cooperation. Job No.e-Del-HRM No: 116853 and Sysper 2 No: 387834-DEVCO”