The Nigerian Red Cross Society (NRCS) was established through an Act of the Parliament in 1960 to complement public authorities in humanitarian interventions with the mandate to prevent and alleviate human suffering at times of peace or conflict, and to support individuals and communities to respond effectively to emergencies, without any form of discrimination as to class, gender, race, political opinions or religion.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Project Officer, Community Based Health
Adamawa and Borno
Line Manager: Assistant Coordinator, Community Based Health
- The Nigerian Red Cross Society has a country wide presence with 37 branches and a network of trained volunteers with access to hard-to-reach communities which gives the NRCS capacity to support the delivery of timely humanitarian aid.
- With the goal for the NRCS to be first responder to emergencies in Nigeria, the Movement Partners are working with NRCS to enhance the competencies and capacities of NRCS staff and volunteers at priority branches to respond to the needs of the population during armed conflict and other situations of violence in strategic areas, as well as communicable diseases outbreaks when required.
- The Project Officer Community Based Health will support the branch in the implementation of NRCS Community Based Health Program at the conflict-affected population within catchment areas of supported health facilities in Adamawa and Borno States.
In synergy with the Branch team, the Project Officer shall:
- Identify heath and care needs within the supported Divisions and develop a workplan for community-based health projects
- Conduct the regular monitoring and reporting on community-based health programs implemented by the branch
- Ensure all CBH and other program staff receive the necessary and appropriate technical support and training
- Implement the CBH training curriculum/strategy for the staff including branch project planning, budgeting, reporting and proposal writing
- Represent NRCS in relevant CBH sector forums and networks in the branch
- implement the low-cost CBH initiatives working with the team of volunteers in the branches
- Coordinate the efforts of volunteers to provide support to CBH campaigns staged in the state
- Facilitate the training of volunteers supporting social mobilization, case management and surveillance of common community health related diseases
- In collaboration with relevant agencies monitor the community level spread and severity of epidemic diseases and proactively communicate emerging health related issues to relevant focal points of contact at the branch as appropriate
- Support the implementation of MHPSS, HCiD and emergency health activities in the supported branches.
Duties applicable to all staff:
- Actively work towards the achievement of the NRCS goals
- Abide by and work in accordance with the Red Cross Fundamental Principles and NRCS Statutes
- Show capacity to assist other members of staff and management, aptitude for maintaining cooperation and team spirit necessary to achieve the objectives of the National Society
- Perform any other work-related duties and responsibilities that may be assigned by Line Manager.
Key Performance Areas:
- Impact and quality of CBH activities in the state
- Strong network of health volunteers
- Number of lives saved due to CBH efforts.
Qualifications and Experience
- First Degree in Medicine, Public Health or Health-related discipline from reputable institution
- Minimum of 3 years relevant working experience
- Experience in Community Based Health, Emergency Health Response and Public Health
- Experience in First Aid Training and Services.
Essential Skills and Competencies:
- Understanding of NRCS Fundamental Principles and Code of Conduct
- Good leadership and accountability skills
- Strong judgment and ability to identify and analyse problems and to think strategically to anticipate, interpret and develop strategic responses to issues
- Ability to persuade, influence, negotiate, manage and sustain effective, successful strategic relationships both internally and externally
- Proficiency in the use of MS Office tools
- Fluency in written and spoken English.
- Communicating, and a curious and effective listener
- Ability to protect the reputation of NRCS through the quality of work, knowledge and experience
- High ethical standards and honesty in handling the organizational resources and zero tolerance to corruption
- Culturally sensitive, globally minded and showing respect to the views and opinions of others
- Ability to collaborate and work well in a team
- Ability to work under pressure.
Deadline: 15th January, 2022.
Method of Application
Interested and qualified candidates should send their CV and Cover Letter (as one single document) to: [email protected]
- Pay close attention to job description requirements as applicants that do not meet these requirements will not be considered.
- State the Position applied for / State / Name as the subject of the email.
- Applicants who fail to comply with the application instructions above will not be considered.